Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: May 2020 : QE2's final calls  (Read 274 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • prondis_in_kenya
May 2020 : QE2's final calls
« on: May 04, 2020, 10:05 AM »
This month's theme is the "QE2's final calls", chosen by Hamburger, the winner of the January 2020 competition.

Looking forward to your photos of interiors or exteriors, taken during some of QE2's final calls. A nostalgic theme...

Even so, enjoy the search :) .

The prize this month is the DVD "Great Liners -- Famous ships from the golden age of travel", donated by me (photo below).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Liners-Famous-Golden-Travel/dp/B0009PZ8FI/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Great+Liners+--+Famous+ships+from+the+golden+age+of+travel&qid=1588582583&sr=8-2

Photo below.

Alternatively, June Ingram is offering a jigsaw of the prizewinning picture. The choice is yours -- which will it be?

How to enter

The album is open -- so now is the time to look for your three most interesting pictures on this theme. Wishing you happy memories as you search your photo collection to find up to three pictures to upload to the competition album.

This link will take you straight there : QE2's final calls.

If you have not uploaded photos to the Forum Gallery before, have a look at these instructions, and if you have any problems, just contact us on admin@theqe2story.com. You could even email the photos to this address, and we can upload them for you.

The deadline for submitting photos is 31 May 2020. Voting will run from 1 June 2020 until 30 June 2020, until everyone's time zone has caught up with the date.

We look forward to seeing your photos in this month's competition. 

This is the eighth month of photos for the 2021 calendar. Maybe your photo will figure there!

Enjoy yourselves!  :)

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • prondis_in_kenya
Re: May 2020 : QE2's final calls
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:56 PM »
Uploaded mine :) .

I suggest that we can widen the topic by also including photos that were not QE2's final calls, but your own final calls to a particular port on QE2.

Enjoy finding suitable images!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

• Advisor to TQS
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Gavin Stewart
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 03:18 PM »
Assuming that you didnt have to be a passenger on these final calls this means I can contribute!

Woohooo  ;D

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • prondis_in_kenya
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 03:21 PM »
Assuming that you didnt have to be a passenger on these final calls this means I can contribute!

Woohooo  ;D

Of course! Shoreside photos of her final calls are in any case very welcome :) . Now I wonder, where in the world...  ;)

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 04:27 PM »
Just uploaded! A tricky choice from the selection available in the archive.

Also when looking up Propriano to double check it's spelling for my photo from our visit, it turns out the official port website has a photo of no other ship than QE2 from her only visit, nearly 12 years later to boot! Made my day!

http://www.2a.cci.fr/port_of_propriano.html
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • prondis_in_kenya
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 12:35 PM »
11 photos entered so far. There must be plenty more lurking about... looking forward to them!

Offline Lynda Bradford

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 09:45 AM »
Uploaded mine :) .

I suggest that we can widen the topic by also including photos that were not QE2's final calls, but your own final calls to a particular port on QE2.

Enjoy finding suitable images!

We now have 17 photos uploaded to the album, but it would be fantastic to see more photos.  I will ask Isabelle to confirm if the criteria is for photos taken in 2008 during QE2's final year, or the last time QE2 visited the port.

As Isabelle has mentioned it could be your own final call to a particular port. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • prondis_in_kenya
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 09:56 AM »
The criterion is that it should be QE2's last visit to a particular port. It does not have to be in 2008, it could be much earlier, particularly if QE2 visited that port only once (maiden and final visit combined).

We have widened the topic to also include the last time you personally visited that particular port with the QE2 (on  board or on shore), even if it was not the last time that the ship was there.

Offline Lynda Bradford

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2020, 10:12 AM »
We have had some really good entries so far for this month's competition.  But we feel that there must be many more photos of QE2's Final calls just waiting to be uploaded to the competition album, before the closing date of 31 May.

As a reminder of all the final calls that QE2 made have a look at the QE2 Timeline - maiden calls, final calls . I have colour coded the final calls in purple so as to jog your memory of all the final calls she made. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • prondis_in_kenya
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 07:22 PM »

Woohooo  ;D

One more day left to upload your photos! Looking forward to those :) .