Author Topic: QE2 - Tomorrow's Superliner Today  (Read 196 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
QE2 - Tomorrow's Superliner Today
« on: Apr 30, 2020, 06:22 PM »
I think we've already got a topic about this but I can't find it!

Very good quality

Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

Re: QE2 - Tomorrow's Superliner Today
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 03:40 PM »
 Gosh l haven't  seen that in about Ten years, There was a period in 1989 when you were filmed at The Captains Meet n Greet and then that footage was inserted into this Video , which of course you could purchase and watch later or you could show friends your acting debut from onboard QE2.

Marvelous to see Captain Bennell who sadly passed away, While people speak of Capt McNaught as being a great Captain, I always preferred Captain Bennell he just gushed QE2, But his trouble was he never knew when to stop, the long lines at his receptions were legendary, and he spoke to you as if you were the only person in the room.

I often wondered who was the Maitre D you see in the Queens Grill at the end , he featured in QE2 Fast Boat to China. And lovely to see The Late  Lady Pauline The Captains Secretary guiding her table in. 
When you compare This professional video to that made in 1984 Inside the QE2 its like chalk and cheese.

From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 08:24 PM »

I often wondered who was the Maitre D you see in the Queens Grill at the end , he featured in QE2 Fast Boat to China. And lovely to see The Late  Lady Pauline The Captains Secretary guiding her table in. 
When you compare This professional video to that made in 1984 Inside the QE2 its like chalk and cheese.

Myles I believe that’s Ron Pritchard.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 12:33 AM »
Wonderful to see her 1987 public rooms in action! It does make a difference to see them in moving pictures rather than still photographs.

It is of course amazing and surprising that everyone in this video is so good looking and so well dressed! Maybe that expresses the period when the video was taken, or maybe the people in the video and the scenes in the video were carefully selected. Or maybe both!

Offline Graham Taylor

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 11:12 AM »

It is of course amazing and surprising that everyone in this video is so good looking and so well dressed! Maybe that expresses the period when the video was taken, or maybe the people in the video and the scenes in the video were carefully selected. Or maybe both!

Isabelle I believe you are correct, I can see certain members of her crew, probably chosen for their photogenic qualities, posing as guests; dear Pauline Sleigh (Captain’s Sec) being just one example. Also did not see one example of guests in shell suits and they were pretty de rigueur during that period, plus Officers wearing their caps at embarkation also unusual.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 08:21 PM »

Oh don't be amazed or surprised, there was a time the QE2 bought out the very best in people, and the dress code was easy, Informal or Formal none of this elegant casual stuff.  People actually cared about how they look.

I blame the decline on The Goldon Lion Pub, I always hated that incarnation and avoided it like the plague. I remember on one cruise our table had just finished a lovely dinner and then to have to walk through the Pub and the baying Mob behaving like savages,  shouting and jeering at some football match, l just couldn't get out fast enough, dragging the other guests,  and don't get me started on the Karaoke nights, Oh just dreadful,  The rare times l would only consider going was lunch time for that  we renamed it Basils Bistro ( Basil was a waiter on the Captain Table on Mauretania ) Marvelous service, and he kept his service and attention to details  be it at Night on The Captains Table to daytime in his Bistro  .

I wonder where he ended up, a slighter older chap black hair combed back and from away out east.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 09:57 PM »
Oh don't be amazed or surprised, there was a time the QE2 bought out the very best in people, and the dress code was easy, Informal or Formal none of this elegant casual stuff.  People actually cared about how they look.

Well, what I had in mind was the way they all looked fit and slim and mostly young(ish), not the blue-rinse brigade mentioned here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=9301.msg108198#msg108198

and captured in a couple of screenshots. I am more inclined to go with the story that a few of the best-looking crew members were recruited to play the part of passengers!

Nuclear turboelectric propulsion for a next-generation superliner?

Started by cos918Board Sea Shanties

Replies: 56
Views: 12617
Last post Aug 11, 2014, 08:38 PM
by Alan Snelson
RMS (Royal Mail Ships) Ships Today

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 4
Views: 2138
Last post Jun 06, 2016, 03:32 AM
by Hank Hargrove
Today In History: The Meeting of two Queens, QM and QM2

Started by OceanicBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 3
Views: 448
Last post Apr 08, 2018, 07:16 AM
by Robbo
11 years ago today... QE2's first month in Dubai caught on webcam

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Discussions about QE2 while laid up (2008 to 2018)

Replies: 1
Views: 230
Last post Dec 28, 2019, 05:54 PM
by pete cain
If QE2 could hear you what would you say to her today?

Started by Cruise_PrincessBoard Misc QE2 Archive

Replies: 33
Views: 17162
Last post Jan 06, 2018, 03:54 PM
by kevinh