Author Topic: QE2 to Close until September 2020  (Read 2730 times)

Online Michael Gallagher

QE2 to Close until September 2020
« on: Mar 16, 2020, 10:34 AM »
Just posted on QE2 FB Page:

*Important Information*

In light of recent global events and taking into account the QE2’s position as an ongoing restoration project, the QE2 has announced plans to temporarily close the vessel and all of the on board facilities from 12pm on 19th March 2020 until 12pm 1st September 2020

After careful consultation and deliberation, the senior leadership team have decided to close the hotel and all of its facilities to further progress on the existing renovation plans during the anticipated low season.

All updates and announcements will be made via the QE2’s social media platforms. To stay up to date, please follow our Facebook and Instagram channels @qe2dubai

We wish all of our Passengers, Navigators, fans and partners to stay safe during this time

#stillmakinghistory

For media enquiries, please contact marketing@qe2.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 to Close until September 2020
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10:48 AM »
Thank you, Michael. This makes sense.

And if they can really find the workforce still willing and able to work under these conditions, they may even be able to make some progress with their plans in the meantime.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Unprecedented action in unprecedented times. I hope things turn out positively in the end for QE2 and all who are involved with her in Dubai, and that her staff and the workers stay safe during these uncertain times. This is a blow to not just us fans/former passengers/former crew but to her staff who have also been taken in by QE2’s still existing special “spell” and love the ship too.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2020, 04:12 PM »
QE2 will be moved in roughly 4 weeks to the Dry Docks....
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2020, 04:16 PM by Davina »

Offline Chris Hodges

« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2020, 04:30 PM »
Do we know why there is a need to dry dock again ??

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2020, 04:38 PM »

Something is cooking up I will add more when it get it

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2020, 05:02 PM »
Something is cooking up I will add more when it get it

Thank you.  Whatever plans they had, will have gone up in smoke over the past couple of weeks.  Dubai hotel occupancy for the next months will be a fraction of what it is normally.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Conor

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2020, 05:34 PM »
Worrying but understandable news. I'm sure they have the best intentions but money will be tight, COVID-19 is and will continue to cause financial problems similar to that of the 2008 crash - particularly on tourism. I imagine PCFC/Emaar will be suffering big losses this year - right when they would have been anticipating big returns with Expo 2020.

By 'cooking up' I hope they're not about to turn her in to a hospital ship!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2020, 08:06 PM »

The nearby shipyard is called the Dubai DryDocks, she may or may not actually be drydocked.

To be honest, with regards to the ship herself, I'm most concerned she could end up in cold layup again and the work done on her so far could then be wasted not to mention the other potential and actual consequences of such a thing including what a lot of us dread happening to her anytime soon. Having said that it seems they'll want her in action again for the Expo starting this October if indeed that goes ahead after all...and they really do seem committed (also from gauging in person) to making her work in her new life in Dubai so hopefully what they've said officially actually transpires and goes to plan. She has had to pay her own way in recent times (not to mention recouping the massive investment on her) and has been doing so enough until now. Hopefully she can pick up where she's left off come September.
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2020, 08:29 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10:31 PM »
Wasn't there a recent post on here somewhere saying that below the waterline her hull is seriously caked with barnacles, weed and other marine life?  A dry docking to clean that lot off would make a lot of sense.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Conor

« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10:37 PM »
On Facebook, Louis is suggesting she's been bought by Chinese investors.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10:42 PM »
On Facebook, Louis is suggesting she's been bought by Chinese investors.

Interesting...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2020, 10:58 PM »
Wasn't there a recent post on here somewhere saying that below the waterline her hull is seriously caked with barnacles, weed and other marine life?  A dry docking to clean that lot off would make a lot of sense.

Yes, noticed that during my stay, but for a static ship it's not a priority.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #13 on: Mar 16, 2020, 11:01 PM »
Yes, noticed that during my stay, but for a static ship it's not a priority.

It can't be good for the condition of the hull metal, though?

Offline Conor

« Reply #14 on: Mar 16, 2020, 11:06 PM »
Quote from: Louis
So QE2 Hotel is closing down though it was not really opened? Now that is a surprise but sure its more than meets the eye.

Many will say here I go again with my negative opinions.But facts are facts and they cant be hidden.QE2 is still far from been saved and years ago I said the turning point in the ships life in Dubai will be the Expo 2020 and that very doubtfully she would stay in Dubai after the Expo.

Now I believe that has reached its moment now,QE2 is closing down and might never open again in Dubai,time has arrived for QE2 to say goodbye and head Eastwards but not to Alang...

QE2 is losing money at a fast rate and looks like a Chinese buyer has been found.

One thing is for sure in roughly 4 weeks QE2 will be moved back to the Dry Docks costs here paid mostly likely by those Chinese investors

QE2 the next chapter not to be missed...

In another comment he mentions that most of those (I presume except essential maintenance staff) have lost their jobs.

Big questions naturally over where she's going:
1) Does she stay in Dubai under new owners or move? Moving to Dubai DryDocks could indicate either extensive refurbishment, or hull cleaning for movement elsewhere. Next 6 months would be ideal time to redo decks 3, 4 and 5 if they planned on converting those.
2) How sudden was this decision? Would seem odd to have invested so much recently (e.g. Queen's Grill) to discontinue her entirely.
3) If leaving Dubai, do the books, paintings and artefacts in the terminal building go with her?
4) Is this all covert and actually she's off to be turned in to razor blades (or MacBooks with recycled aluminium)?

Cunard's 180th anniversary, 4 July 2020

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Cunard

Replies: 3
Views: 719
Last post Aug 05, 2020, 03:55 AM
by Chris
Alex - late September 2023 visit to QE2 Dubai - Photos & Videos from on board

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2 Hotel Dubai (2018 onwards)

Replies: 11
Views: 991
Last post Oct 24, 2023, 12:51 PM
by Rob Lightbody
September 2015 Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 1
Views: 1721
Last post Sep 28, 2015, 05:56 PM
by June Ingram
September and October 2019 newsletters

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters