Author Topic: QE2 with dark davits  (Read 1583 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

QE2 with dark davits
« on: Feb 29, 2020, 06:12 PM »
There are some slide photos on offer in eBay at present, one of which (screenshot attached) shows QE2's Boat Deck in around 1974 with dark davits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Original-Kodachrome-Slides-Photos-QE2-Queen-Elizabeth-II-Ocean-Liner-1974/193360976483?hash=item2d05365a63:g:kM4AAOSw59heV7PY

I know this dark colour was chosen to give QE2 a sleek yacht-like appearance, but to me (who only knew the later white colour) they do look dark and unappealing as viewed from the Boat Deck.

There are 13 other photos included in the sales offer, none of which seem to me equally interesting.

I wonder when the dark davits were repainted?

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: QE2 with dark davits
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2020, 06:31 PM »
The davits were painted white during the winter 1986/7 re-engining refit...they had all been removed for checking and repair (along with their bedplates being checked and repaired too) before being returned to their specific spots along Boat Deck (each davit was unique) - the above according to what I've read elsewhere on this forum and seen in photos in books and online. Personally I prefer the davits painted white too as Boat Deck appears rather claustrophobic to walk along otherwise.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2020, 06:39 PM »
Regarding the rest of the set, it's interesting to see One Deck aft, a place so familiar, but three decades before knowing it in person and how much is familiar despite the passage of time - the sleek, sweeping windows being the main thing. Also the view over the bow from the "bit beneath the bridge" is always wonderful, and I spy the wonderful stern of SS Rotterdam in the photo of QE2 at anchor. I'd imagine the ships were cruising in the Caribbean at the time given the very sunny weather (SS Rotterdam had switched to full time cruising a few years before, also gaining the dark blue hull).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:38 PM »
The davits were painted white during the winter 1986/7 re-engining refit...they had all been removed for checking and repair (along with their bedplates being checked and repaired too) before being returned to their specific spots along Boat Deck (each davit was unique) - the above according to what I've read elsewhere on this forum and seen in photos in books and online. Personally I prefer the davits painted white too as Boat Deck appears rather claustrophobic to walk along otherwise.

From on board, white brightened up the boat deck, no question.  But from afar, she looks amazing with the black davits, and the khaki superstructure, so sleek.   In the stuff I read about the 86-87 refit (which is of particular interest to me "because I was there" so to speak), I had read that the davits were completely replaced with new ones.  If they were indeed the originals repaired, it is all the more sad that they were scrapped in Dubai - something I consider their biggest mistake by far so far - and I've not forgiven them for it. 

That photo Isabelle posted clearly shows the line where the khaki paint started.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Feb 29, 2020, 07:51 PM »
From on board, white brightened up the boat deck, no question.  But from afar, she looks amazing with the black davits, and the khaki superstructure, so sleek.   In the stuff I read about the 86-87 refit (which is of particular interest to me "because I was there" so to speak), I had read that the davits were completely replaced with new ones.  If they were indeed the originals repaired, it is all the more sad that they were scrapped in Dubai - something I consider their biggest mistake by far so far - and I've not forgiven them for it. 

That photo Isabelle posted clearly shows the line where the khaki paint started.

I have read the davits were steel due to the additional cost of the originally planned aluminium davits being a cost too far for Cunard during her construction (along with the fourth boiler etc etc) and maybe they needed replacing (if indeed they were in 1986/7) because of corrosion to do with the aluminium superstructure. Having said this the bedplates were where this contact between both metals was apparently so I am not sure! Also would aluminium davits have really been a thing for an application such as QE2? Would they have the strength and suitable fatigue properties compared to their steel counterparts? Finally the davits and attached machinery (the cylindrical electric winch motors in particular) seem to have remained the same from QE2's building to removal back in 2016 but then again new davits could've been made from blueprints and the equipment reused or replaced like for like? Brings up a few mysteries that hopefully someone can solve/confirm for us?