Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE cruise cancelled  (Read 247 times)

Offline Andy Holloway

QE cruise cancelled
« on: Feb 25, 2020, 12:55 AM »
Does anyone have any info on why QE's call into Sydney, and subsequent cruise around Australia has been cancelled and substituted with Tasmania & NZ?
Some friends are due to fly out tomorrow to Perth, take the train across to Sydney and 'were supposed to have joined QE to sail up to Singapore. Today they got an email to say the whole trip was cancelled and was being substituted as said, but with no explanation.
I suspect it's to do with Corona virus, but wondered if anyone had any more up-to-date news.

Offline skilly56

Re: QE cruise cancelled
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2020, 09:39 AM »
Andy, I can't help you with an answer to your question, but 5 of us are just about to book the Alaska trip on QE for end-of-July/beginning of August. I hope they don't cancel that trip at short notice ($$$$$$).
Blair is doing the bookings through Soton (he has just come off the Ventura). I'll see if he can find out anything.
Cheers,
Skilly

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2020, 10:05 AM »
I honestly wouldn't be booking a cruise for this year.  This thing is still rapidly evolving.

As I type this, a 1000 person hotel in Tenerife is in lockdown - surrounded by police - and I'm listening to colleagues cancelling holiday plans.

I was on a ferry at the weekend and was nervous enough, and had my own powerful hand sanitizer with me...

Quote from: Cunard
Itinerary changes.
Queen Elizabeth.
Updated 19 February 2020

As a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, Queen Elizabeth’s Asia programme that was due to commence in March has been cancelled and will be replaced with an extended season in Australia.

All Queen Elizabeth voyages that feature itineraries over 8 March 2020 through to 15 May 2020 are cancelled. Those guests who were due to join Queen Elizabeth on one of these voyages will have their booking fully refunded.

For those who have booked flights or additional packages directly through Cunard, all aspects will be refunded. If guests booked flights or additional packages via a travel agent or third-party tour operator, they should contact them directly. If any arrangements have been booked independently then guests should contact their travel insurance provider for details of how to submit a claim.

If guests are unable to recover charges incurred due to this unavoidable and unexpected cancellation, we would encourage you to contact us so that this can be discussed further.

Queen Elizabeth’s new extended season in Australia will comprise two six-night Tasmania voyages, two 11-night New Zealand voyages and her first ever 27-night full circumnavigation of Australia. Queen Elizabeth will then sail a 25-night Transpacific crossing from Sydney to Vancouver via New Caledonia, Hawaii, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Full details of Queen Elizabeth’s new itineraries will be published on Friday 21 February at 9am in Sydney Australia (10pm UK time Thursday 20th February). Queen Elizabeth’s 2020 Alaska programme is unaffected by these changes and will continue as published.

Cunard will resume Queen Elizabeth’s Asia programme in September this year as already published.
« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2020, 10:10 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2020, 04:04 PM »
I agree with Rob.  Cases are coming to light all over with no seeming connection with one to another.  There is something about the spread of the virus that is not known yet. 
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2020, 06:55 PM »
Thanks for the information.
I've spoken to them and they have 'done' Australia before so have taken the refund and instead booked with Celebrity for two back to back Caribbean cruise on Celebrity Edge from Ft Laud this weekend.

Offline skilly56

« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2020, 11:45 PM »
Details of the revised cruising schedule as rec'd at 0200 this morning from Cunard Sydney.

A great shame that the NZ legs do not include Fiordland.

https://helloworld.co.nz/special/cunard-sale-cruising?utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=HLO260_Cunard&dclid=CIv18Kbr7OcCFZRIKwodEikHLw

Cheers,
Skilly