Author Topic: Da Nang, Vietnam. Golden Route World Cruise 1995  (Read 539 times)

Offline Helen Clough

Da Nang, Vietnam. Golden Route World Cruise 1995
« on: Feb 27, 2023, 08:28 PM »
Still remember that day during world cruise, joined ship Los Angeles and left Colombo, Sri Lanka so over 50 days in total.

Lots of gifts from Cunard during that voyage, gave away most of them. (Days before Carnival.)  Still remember Waterford Crystal globe gave to barman who then said he had been on the Queen Mary! Also very generous onboard spending allowance, lots of lovely excursions. Light aircraft flight over Western Samoa. Sydney Opera House, Magic Flute.

Journalists flew out for that sector, Daily Mirror on my bus. Rough sea that day, anchored off so everyone had to jump into tender. Also an early start, someone started to play the piano - surreal! Maiden port of call as far as I remember.

Remember infamous Niagara Niagara over tannoy, mainly Queen's Room.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Da Nang, Vietnam. Golden Route World Cruise 1995
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2023, 09:33 PM »
This sounds like a fascinating voyage, Helen! You are very welcome here, and we look forward to more of your memories.

Enjoy having a look around, voting in the photo competition and adding your own photos if you have some that match the theme.

What made you decide to go on a world cruise on QE2?

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2023, 01:51 AM »
Welcome, Helen ! It is great to have you join us, and I am looking very much forward to hearing more !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2023, 12:36 PM »
As soon as I saw 'Da Nang' I immediately thought of Robin Williams in 'Good Morning Vietnam' ;D

"Da Nang me, Da Nang me, why don't they get a rope and hang me!'

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2023, 07:54 PM »
Welcome Helen and thanks for posting some of your memories.  Looking forward to hearing more about this cruise and whether you had sailed on QE2 for other cruises. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Helen Clough

« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2023, 09:56 AM »
Hi! Funnily enough, I went on a weekend cruise October 1993. Old fashioned cabin then.
Must have stayed in my mind when thinking about going away January 1995 … Lucky to go away for over 50 days to get benefits of Samuel Cunard Key Club. Only booked week before, so ignored plumbers publicity obviously …
As said before, fantastic value for money. No single supplement, lots of goodies each week, very generous on board spending money which could be spent on excursions, and separate lounge which I rarely used!
Food in Mauritania not always that good, usually had breakfast and lunch at Lido. Wrote down once had smoked salmon bagel in cabin one supper …
Favourite stops for me were Guam and Da Nang. Also remember showing cousin's son round the ship in Auckland where he lives. Those were the days!
Lots of other cruising, blame it on working for P&O Travel, Hereford late 1970's. Cunard Princess, Canaries, Cunard Countess, Caribbean, Royal Viking Sun, Atlantic repositioning cruise, Oriana, Christmas Caribbean, Aurora, failed Maiden voyage … A few years ago, Cunard Victoria Eastern Med but Istanbul got cancelled so Rhodes overnight instead.
Very lucky to afford so much cruising.