Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Post a message to celebrate The QE2 Story's 11th Anniversary!  (Read 290 times)

Offline Twynkle

In 3 days time, whilst Scots all over the world, and on Cunard ships will be celebrating Burns Night, there will also be those of us who well remember January the 25th in 2009 when QE2 had celebrated her "40th" and we were here 'learning on the job' about the Birth of Rob's great creation - The QE2 Story!

One of the best things of the earliest days was seeking, and finding real gems often well-hidden online - the 'Memories' made by friends of QE2, Pathe News, photographs - and the competitions, images, books, articles, fantasy voyages and much more - many are here, all helping as Rob says - in Keeping The Legend Alive.

This year has also seen the completion of Lachlan's great model - this labour of love, and The Find of so many significant early photographs, The Newsletter too, together with the highest  possible degree of loyalty, time and patience shown by the Moderators, Global Advisors and 'Describers' -  we ourselves are so fortunate.

To date the efforts of so many includes 97611 Posts in 5182 Topics made by 1078 Members and has got to be a reflection of the love of a ship held in such high esteem.
Surely now - The QE2 Story itself must be well on the way to achieving legendary status too! 

Thanks to Stev.Hancock who posted the following video on Facebook a year ago - like the other special videos, hopefully you will enjoy this too. It must have been filmed in Liverpool Cathedral -  in October 2008.
https://www.facebook.com/steve.hancock.583/videos/10157232719365016/
Time then it was 'to say goodbye' - very hopefully, there won't ever be a time to bid farewell to the memories of QE2.

How could we possibly forget too, that 50 years ago this year will be the celebration of 1970, when QE2 was still Really Young!

To Rob, and your Trusty Team - Thank you.
Rosie

« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 06:31 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline pete cain

Re: Post a message to celebrate The QE2 Story's 11th Anniversary!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Hear hear Rosie, still well up when  good shots of QE2 are married with 'that song', how could you not.....

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 07:57 PM »
Beautifully said, Rosie, thank you!

It has been such a joy to have been a member of this fabulous forum since day 1, and I would not have missed it for anything. Quite apart from celebrating QE2 from that first day to the present and to the future beyond, this has also been a place of learning -- about our wonderful ship, about friendship and togetherness via the internet and by personal encounter, and about handling the technicalities of this excellent forum.

Big thanks to Rob, who made it all possible, and to all the wonderful movers, shakers and members of the QE2Story!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:21 PM »
I've been here for most of that time - I see from my profile that I registered just ten months later.

All I can say is - the number of stories and level of detail on here makes this place a gold mine of information. :)
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 10:08 PM »
Happy 11th Anniversary to the forum! An excellent place for all things QE2, and most importantly acting as an archive and preserving the memories of her seagoing days. I have learnt so much about QE2 from the forum in nearly a decade of being a member (August 2010), and shared happy QE2 memories of significant personal sentimental value, photos and videos that otherwise wouldn't have seen the light of day anywhere near as much if at all.

Thank you Rob for creating and continuing to provide the excellent place that is The QE2 Story forum and to everyone who keeps the forum on an even keel, underway, and on a good heading! Here's to another 11 years!
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 10:12 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:32 AM »
From a Forum to a Family - brought together by the love and affection for one ship - driven by this to keep her memory and legacy alive.

I joined this forum to learn more about QE2 and have ended up making friends and being involved to a level I would never have dreamt of.

The QE2 Story - lang may yer lum reek!!

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Thanks Rosie for starting this topic and writing such a lovely tribute to celebrate The QE2 Story's 11th anniversary.

The QE2 Story is a credit to QE2.  I thought I knew a lot about QE2 but then I joined the forum and found there was so much more information, stories and photos, thanks to our members. 

As a passenger on QE2 I met such a lot of interesting people. Through The QE2 Story there has been the opportunity to meet many people at our get-togethers and to communicate with many more on the forum, so as to share our love for QE2. 

The QE2 Story, in my mind is the number one forum for all things QE2!

Happy Anniversary!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Olivia

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2020, 07:54 AM »
Happy 11th anniversary to the forum!  ;D As one of the younger members I would like to thank Rob and everyone who has helped to make this forum so successful. I am very grateful indeed to have been able to read the stories and see pictures that would have otherwise been hidden if it wasn’t for the QE2 Story. It is one thing to read about a ship in books or on Wikipedia or such, but the stories and human element are what really brings liners like the QE2 to life. Hopefully it will continue long into the future!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2020, 11:02 AM »
I am quite touched by this topic, thank you for starting it, and for your comments.

The forum is sometimes very quiet, and I can get disheartened, but this topic has helped a lot.  The forum has brought me much joy, friendships, and many interesting events that I never thought I'd have.

I'm immensely proud that the forum still exists and is going strong so long after it was created - there are lots of people to thank for the success.  So many other sites that existed at that time, have gone now 

I am dedicated to keeping the forum alive for as long as is technically possible to do so, and if one day it is no longer possible, I will strive to archive all the content somehow.

Hopefully 2020 will introduce a mobile-friendly upgrade, amongst other things - a raft of upgrades were also carried out over the Christmas period, without any of you noticing :)

But overall, the forum remains true to how I arranged it that night, 11 years ago.

Thank you everyone.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2020, 03:19 PM »
Beautifully said, Rosie, and many thanks for beginning this topic in celebration of The QE2 Story's 11th Anniversary.  Many thanks to all who have posted your heartfelt comments.  Many thanks to Rob for starting The QE2 Story and Forum and long may it continue.  The most famous ship in the world has brought us all together as friends in our interest in QE2 and love for our beloved QE2.  I indeed feel very fortunate to be a part of The QE2 Family here on The Forum !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2020, 10:08 PM »
Happy Anniversary to the Forum and its members for keeping The legend Alive , and special thanks to you Rob
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2020, 10:04 PM »
What an amazing evening that was, 11 years ago exactly! A brand new forum, and the first members, of whom I was one, had no idea how an internet forum works. It was like a physical meeting, with us standing around and shily greeting the new members arriving after us. Ali quickly posed a series of encouraging questions, which enabled us to start the first few topics.

None of us knew at the time how important this forum would become in our lives and what a major role it would play in the wider world, where it is now recognised as one of the main sources of information and discussion about QE2.

Cheers and good wishes for the next 11 years, and thanks to everyone, particularly for your friendships!