Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?  (Read 23895 times)

Online Andy Holloway

Re: Does anybody know what this is?
« Reply #100 on: Aug 11, 2019, 06:49 PM »
Yes i know that it's a clock, but what sort of clock is/was it?

Forgot about this post!

It's a pulse clock and was given to me by a passenger on QE2 during a trannie.

For those to whom a pulse clock is an item of wonderment, it's a clock, one of many, many onboard a ship, that are all linked to a central clock and operate on a regular 'pulse', hence the name.
I can't remember which Cunard ship the passenger said it came from but think it was one of the old Queens, but can't find the piece of paper he gave me with it that had the story of it on.

It had already been fitted with more modern battery mechanism.

We have it in our bathroom and it looks fantastic and a lovely memory of Cunard/QE2 and the very kind passenger, who i never saw again sadly.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Something that's a reminder of QE2...?
« Reply #101 on: Oct 03, 2019, 01:08 PM »
 Crystallised ginger. Always the last thing I had at the end of a wonderful QE2 dinner.

I am eating some right now :) .

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #102 on: Oct 03, 2019, 04:17 PM »
Crystallised ginger. Always the last thing I had at the end of a wonderful QE2 dinner.

I am eating some right now :) .

When i first joined QE2 i was introduced to a lovely American passenger by the off going Ch Security Officer, afterwards he said; "I hope you like crystallised ginger!"

Every time this lady was sailing afterwards i would go into my office in the morning and there on my desk, was a serviette with several pieces of crystallised ginger in! It transpires that a couple of Security Officer's before me the incumbent had said to her that he liked ginger, but was unable to get any. So she took it into her power to provide it for him from the bowls outside the Restaurants. Unfortunately it is not something i like but i was too polite to say it to her!!! At least my wife always liked it in my cabin if the weather got a bit rough!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #103 on: Oct 03, 2019, 11:29 PM »
These have been hanging on the bedroom door handles at home for 7 years now - for some weird reason they just don't work like they did on the ship!

Also discovered this photo of a mug - it might explain a family connection I have.

Skilly

Likewise, I have one of the door signs hanging off my flat's central heating thermostat that happens to be right outside my bedroom (right below the forum's calendar for this year by coincidence). Dad found the sign again a few months ago and gave it to me as I have most of our QE2 items for safekeeping and archiving (menus, signed ship's guide, Captain's Secretary letter etc etc).
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #105 on: Oct 14, 2019, 10:42 AM »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

trevorc

« Reply #106 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:37 PM »
Fantastic... Dubai should invest in some of these...

Absolutely. They'd fit in perfectly in the Queens Room.

Offline Chris Frame

« Reply #107 on: Jan 18, 2020, 08:45 PM »
These trumpet style pillars at a hotel I recently stayed at reminded me of QE2. Not exactly the same design but I have to say the shape did make me think back to the Queens Room or Midships Lobby.

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2020, 05:26 AM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
« Reply #108 on: Jan 20, 2020, 09:23 AM »
The smell of a wet carpet always transports me back!