Author Topic: Crossing the Atlantic as a passenger in a cargo ship  (Read 893 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Crossing the Atlantic as a passenger in a cargo ship
« on: Jan 07, 2020, 12:33 PM »
This sounds like a fascinating experience!

I didn't want to fly – so I took a cargo ship from Germany to Canada
A slow boat across the Atlantic plus a scenic train home to Vancouver add up to a hugely enjoyable three-week trip

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jan/07/cargo-ship-train-rail-to-vancouver-canada-low-carbon-travel-europe
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Crossing the Atlantic as a passenger in a cargo ship
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2020, 01:42 PM »
There was a container feeder vessel mv Cervantes, a regular caller at Greenock Ocean Terminal, which offered trips on board as she made her way from port to port. She could only take a maximum of three pax.

I knew a couple of people who took a voyage on her and they loved it. They said the accommodation was excellent as was the food and general hospitality indeed one of them made it his annual holiday for a good few years.

Renamed Perceiver, Elevation and then latterly Haidar she was converted to a livestock carrier and sadly capsized and sank at her berth in Brazil in 2015.

Photo by John Newth shows her outbound from Greencok passing Cloch Point, River Clyde some time between 2000 and 2005.

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2020, 01:44 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2020, 05:54 PM »
When working in the Carribean during the late 80's I aleays liked to see the Geest ships, cargo and passenger.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2020, 06:43 PM »
Thank you for the link, Rob! That is the kind of travel which I would find so tempting…

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2020, 11:14 PM »
My mother took a cargo boat from Bristol to Trinidad,  then another onto Georgetown in  British Guiana in 1938 to marry my father who was a missionary, she was aged 21 and had never been outside of Cumberland, let alone England!

On the first part of the journey  to Trinidad,  there were only 6 passengers, 4 men, my mother and the Captain's wife.

After returning to the UK in 1946 her 'overseas' travel amounted to 2 visits to my uncle who lived in Paisley, and a flight to Vancouver to visit one of her bridesmaids after my father died.

What she would have made of my life at sea on QE2 and the other 11 different ships I worked on!

Offline Tony

• QE2 Crew member
  • Mauretania Diner (Early sitting)
  • Photog, 1976 and 1987
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2023, 05:52 AM »
When working in the Carribean during the late 80's I aleays liked to see the Geest ships, cargo and passenger.

There is a youtube video of this ship doing a transatlantic from the Uk to the Islands, called banana boat

Offline Rod

« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2023, 04:41 PM »
In the early 60's, we travelled from UK to Kingston on the Golfito.
I was very young but never remember being bored!

Offline Ben Zabulis

« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2023, 07:59 AM »
It is a different type of journey but no less enjoyable. We did it a few years back from Hong Kong to Southampton and great fun it was too ! Someone once wrote, perhaps a little unkindly, that one of the great things about cargo ship travel is there's no entertainment. In fact we soon realised that as passengers we actually became 'the entertainment' as crew and officers were delighted to have a couple of new faces to talk to !

Final Westbound Transatlantic Crossing: 10 to 16 October 2008

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 26
Views: 4376
Last post Oct 11, 2021, 09:33 AM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 Final Westbound Crossing.

Started by Clydebuilt2Board Books, Videos and DVDs about QE2

Replies: 7
Views: 1070
Last post Feb 03, 2023, 09:18 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Transatlantic crossing 1974

Started by Sarah MacfarlaneBoard Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 5
Views: 707
Last post Feb 06, 2022, 05:46 PM
by Bob C.
Final "Cunard" Crossing of Equator

Started by ChrisBoard Final Departures & Final Season Memories

Replies: 9
Views: 6524
Last post Aug 04, 2009, 10:37 AM
by Chris
Transatlantic Crossing Times - Records & Scheduled

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Service Life (1969 - 2008)

Replies: 13
Views: 9016
Last post Aug 09, 2019, 02:58 PM
by Andy Holloway