Author Topic: Hello from JMDLYN  (Read 1364 times)

jmdlyn

Hello from JMDLYN
« on: Sep 06, 2009, 03:53 PM »
Hi
Just a few words on my relationship with QE2.

My Father was a joiner/ shopfitter and was sent to work fitting out the ship's cabins and other areas, prior to the launch. He continued in Greenock and also went on the sea trials to Las Palmas.

My wife, nephew and myself tryed to see her on a return trip to Greenock in the late eighties. However, we could not get near and had to make do with a view from across the Clyde at Helensburgh. We tried again a few years later on our way home from the office. Only to follow her at some distance as she departed down the River.

About the same time, during Glasgows year of culture, there was an excellent play at the Harland & Wolfe engine shed in Govan called "The Ship" - You may find the BBC 2 programme on the Web - It had a line spoken by one of the main characters, "Am gony go on her wan day" . I think that put me in the mood.

I appear to have run out of room to continue my few words, but I will post again.
I have followed Rob's QE2 sites for a few years, keep it up.

John

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Hello from JMDLYN
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2009, 04:22 PM »
I appear to have run out of room to continue my few words

You can have 20000 words in a single message I believe so don't let the size of the box put you off! (it scrolls once full).

Thanks for your message of support John, looking forward to your contributions!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2009, 05:21 PM »

Hello John

Welcome aboard!

It's really good that you have joined us.
Hopefully there's be lots here of interest, and if it's appropriate,
do please feel free to write a bit about your father's work aboard QE2,
and maybe something of the stories he told you!
Do you think he might have made/fitted the (original?) chest of drawers I used on Deck 5!

Rosie
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

jmdlyn

Part 2 of my introduction - JMDLYN
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2009, 10:35 AM »
My wife and myself booked through SAGA holidays for a once in a lifetime treat for our fiftieth birthdays, to sail in July 2004. This was at the time SAGA were purchasing the CORONIA (which is older than QE2 but still in service as far as I know). We booked an inside cabin 2032, Mauretania. About a month before we sailed, we were upgraded to a Princess Grill cabin, then 3 days before sailing, we were upgraded again to Queens Grill 2069. What a holiday, best ever, 14 nights round the Med.

It was so good we decided to sail again the following year up to Norway, 12 days round the fjords. Again we booked cabin 2032 and once again got an upgrade to deck 5 outside cabin 5043. not huge but at least we had a porthole. Another great experience.

When we heard that she was going into retirement, we booked again to sail 16 nights round the Med in July 2008, and became Gold Cunarders. This time the ship was very busy and or cabin 5049 was tiny with bunk beds. I had to lie on the bed or leave the cabin to allow Lyn room to change. Once again a great holiday.

When she returned to the Clyde in September 2007 as part of her 40th year, I was there in the rain and when she came back for the final time in October 2008, Lyn and myself watched her come up the clyde in beautiful sunshine from the Haylie Brae and followed her all the way to Greenock with many thousand others.

I have spoken to some people on board that just don't get the QE2 and  others that enjoy every part of the experience, I am glad to say I fall into the second group.
John

jmdlyn

« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Hi Rosie.
Most likely, because according to my Dad he built the ship, but that story is probably told by every dad that worked on the QE2
John