Author Topic: Waverley re-boilering 2020  (Read 5275 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Waverley re-boilering 2020
« on: Dec 29, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Excellent article here from the preservation society about what's about to happen to Waverley.

https://www.paddlesteamers.org/news/national/re-boilering-waverley-2000-and-2020/
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Waverley re-boilering 2020
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2020, 08:11 AM »
Great article which shows the extent of work required to get the old units out let alone the replacements in!!

I had a CD somewhere with all the photos taken during the Phase 1 and 2 Heritage rebuilds but I havent located it for a while. It had loads more photos of the reboilering.

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2020, 02:28 PM »
Waverley's aft funnel being removed this afternoon at Dale's Marine, Garvel Clyde, Greenock.

The fwd one will be next followed by the fiddly casings and deck to gain access to the boiler room below.
Make no mistake folks - this is the most major works carried out to her since the heritage rebuild  1999/2000 & 2002/2003!

Photos copyright Stewart Mungin (from Facebook)

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 03:43 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:01 PM »
Hope those Funnels are solid, the RMS Queen Mary's apparently collapsed when placed on the dock, only the paint was holding them together! :)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2020, 06:21 PM »
Thanks Gav.  I'm glad the work is underway, good luck to Waverley and her team.  Love that last one with the aft funnel at the stern of the ship!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:16 AM »
Hope those Funnels are solid, the RMS Queen Mary's apparently collapsed when placed on the dock, only the paint was holding them together! :)

Hi Chris,

Those funnels were manufactured to the same design as her originals except in aluminium in 2000 so hoping they are still structurally sound!! Been inside both over the years as these days they just contain boiler and generator exhausts and some breathers. The fiddly casings were being used as storage last time I saw inside! Oh aye - the bunkering station is in the aft one too!

:)

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2020, 08:52 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2020, 01:13 PM »
Regarding the RMS Queen Mary, moderator feel welcome to move this...
The original funnels were broken up but chips of the paint were used to make souvenir cufflinks.
They oven showed a grey stripe of her wartime paint, has anyone out there ever seen a pair of these,
I keep searching online but to no avail??

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2020, 10:35 AM »
Hi Folks,

Update on Waverley's refit currently ongoing at Garvel Clyde, Greenock.

Waverley Refit Update

Good progress so far!

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2020, 06:15 PM »
Thanks for posting the link Gav.  Good to see the photos that support the explanation of the work being done to remove the funnels and boiler.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2020, 06:25 PM »
Many thanks, Gav, for the update !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2020, 09:24 PM »
and on Facebook today

" Timetable information for the 2020 season will be released in February."
Well Done to Everyone - and Gods Speed to one of all of our Best Ships!

https://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/?fbclid=IwAR0PZCGyAKmLNuyG2nmWlV_jbN5Abd4ZFUJ59wMCqdVyARF8dvhWbByTImY
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2020, 09:26 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #11 on: Feb 17, 2020, 12:23 PM »
Thankfully the boiler bedplates seem to be in good condition otherwise a trip into drydock would have been required to repair them.

I was told on Friday during a visit to Garvel Clyde that work is ongoing relocating ancillary equipment in the boiler room prior to the new boilers arriving from Annan.

There is still a long way to go but so far so good!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Hi Folks,

Another wee update on the PSPS website on progress with Waverley's refit.

Due to a delay in the delivery of the boilers she has been moved to the adjacent drydock where some steelwork is being replaced in the dining saloon, new sea chests for the third generator have been let into her hull and her annual overhaul being undertaken.
She is due to come back out to wet dock next week if all goes to plan.

Two of her three new generators are now in position and the new synchronising panel for them has been fitted on the engine control platform. This will control and synchronise generators coming on and offline automatically whereas before the running generator had to be stopped (blacking out the ship) and the other unit started.

The Caterpillar generators (sadly no pics on the update but Paul Semple, WEL MD let me see some photos of them and the plating repairs last night) are the same power output as the old ones but are so much smaller!! I recall that the old Scania ones had derated engines on them which meant they were larger than they needed to be.

Anyway - hopefully the first of the new boilers will arrive at Garvel Clyde soon.

Sadly with the effects of Covid19 in full swing there is still a big question mark over what length of season, if any, Waverley will sail in 2020. Given the 2019 year they had and like other heritage organisations - it could all hang in the balance.

But lets not think about that!!

Have a wee look at the update here: Waverley Refit Update 12032020

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2020, 01:52 PM »
Hi Folks,

This week sees a milestone reached in the Reboilering project!

Tuesday saw replacement Boiler No 1 arrive from Cochran of Annan and was immediately lowered into the ship. (Photo 1)

Today sees Boiler No2 arrive and lowered into position. (Photos 2,3 & 4)

This will no doubt see the deck being replaced and the funnels put back into position in the near future.

There is still a lot of fitting out ongoing within the boiler room however the project has entered the final phase of the install.

I assume Dales are allowed to remain open during the COVID-19 restrictions to react if a vessel essential to the cause (lifeline Calmac vessel for example) develops problems and requires urgent attention.

All photos copyright Colin Leck.

Gav

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2020, 12:48 AM »
Great photos, Gav !  Thanks for sharing Colin's photos !  Great progress is being made !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Waverley Updates - 2018

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 90
Views: 14846
Last post Dec 19, 2018, 12:24 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
Who owns the Waverley - and key people involved

Replies: 9
Views: 1783
Last post Jul 06, 2019, 03:17 PM
by tramscape
Little and large (Waverley with QM2 and QE2)

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 9
Views: 3419
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
by luzparis
Links to other Waverley Websites

Replies: 0
Views: 14029
Last post Oct 20, 2010, 06:48 PM
by Rob Lightbody
PS Waverley 2023 Dry Dock Appeal