Author Topic: Waverley re-boilering 2020  (Read 5593 times)

Online cunardqueen

Re: Waverley re-boilering 2020
« Reply #30 on: Aug 14, 2020, 05:46 PM »
That IS  a majestic sight to see, lets hope that she can capture some of this years tourist trade , well whats left anyway.
Do we know if they did any other work on her.
My first sailing on her was the QE2 story weekend, all those years ago, reflecting on, it was a day that went past very quickly, it was highly enjoyable, lovely weather, great friends, a stunning Paddle steamer.
And my abinding memory the Lloyd Loom chair next to one of the mechanics, a sight to behold indeed  ;)

Cheers Rob !
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #31 on: Aug 14, 2020, 06:22 PM »
Myles, You done us proud that year, with the QE2 Story badges plus the banners you produced for our Waverley trip.

Lots of more lovely memories on the Waverley in the Gallery Get Together Album
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=100

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #32 on: Aug 14, 2020, 09:04 PM »
Here is a YouTube video taken yesterday as Waverley departed from Custom House Quay, Greenock under her own power for the first time since October 2018.

ps Waverley departing CHQ 13082020

Make sure the volume is up!!

Gav

What a wonderful sound and what a wonderful wake! Sailing on a paddler must be so different from another boat or ship. Really hoping that I shall be able to enjoy this some time soon, but meanwhile it is thrilling to see her out and about again. You go, Waverley!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #33 on: Aug 17, 2020, 08:26 AM »
That IS  a majestic sight to see, lets hope that she can capture some of this years tourist trade , well whats left anyway.
Do we know if they did any other work on her.
My first sailing on her was the QE2 story weekend, all those years ago, reflecting on, it was a day that went past very quickly, it was highly enjoyable, lovely weather, great friends, a stunning Paddle steamer.
And my abinding memory the Lloyd Loom chair next to one of the mechanics, a sight to behold indeed  ;)

Cheers Rob !

Myles,

She had her two main generators replaced and a third added complete with a control system which allows generators to be brought on or taken off line automatically when required instead of the old system of blacking out the ship momentarily as you switched over!
With the boiler room empty the chance was taken to revise the general layout and move some of the equipment to more accessible locations (some of this necessary due to the weight of an additional generator on the starboard side) and also to remove the now redundant furnace oil conditioning equipment (Waverley burns low sulphur diesel all the time now)

As I understand it some plating repairs were required in the area of the dining saloon but otherwise the usual works were undertaken in the drydock (painting, ,inspection etc)

Hoping for an announcement from the company early next week about her return to service.

Gav
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2020, 04:14 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #34 on: Aug 19, 2020, 03:39 PM »
I've attached some videos by Waverley Excursions of Waverley on trials last Thursday.

They show the ship on speed trials to test the new boiler plant.

The paddle wheel video is especially impressive (IMHO)

So I think these videos are a fitting conclusion to the re-boilering project!
Now we can move onto the (short) 2020 sailing season (see new thread)

Gav

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 11:53 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #35 on: Aug 19, 2020, 07:23 PM »
Turns out last night where l work we had one of the guys who was installing the boiler and other requipment staying with us.  Managed to see some lovely video footage .
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: Aug 22, 2020, 10:53 AM »
I've attached some videos by Waverley Excursions of Waverley on trials last Thursday.

They show the ship on speed trials to test the new boiler plant.

The paddle wheel video is especially impressive (IMHO)

So I think these videos are a fitting conclusion to the re-boilering project!
Now we can move onto the (short) 2020 sailing season (see new thread)

Gav

Thank you for those - they are terrific!  What a joy to see those paddle wheels whirring round and that wake, and the view off the port side.

She used to make that strange oooOOOP!  noise (hard to describe - a rising hum) which I don't hear in the engine room?

Also, do the new boilers make her any more efficient now?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: Aug 22, 2020, 11:45 AM »
Myles, You done us proud that year, with the QE2 Story badges plus the banners you produced for our Waverley trip.

Lots of more lovely memories on the Waverley in the Gallery Get Together Album
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=100

Very fond memories indeed of that weekend.  The first few years of this forum's life were truly exciting and door-opening to me, I'd go so far to say life-changing, and it has continued to be a joy ever since.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #38 on: Aug 22, 2020, 09:39 PM »
Wonderful to see her bombing along with a bone in her teeth in the footage! The drone footage is wonderful too, with the sound of her coming off the berth!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #39 on: Aug 23, 2020, 01:06 AM »
I love the "sliced" look to her wake from the paddle wheels. She is a lovely ship ! :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #40 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:19 AM »
Thank you for those - they are terrific!  What a joy to see those paddle wheels whirring round and that wake, and the view off the port side.

She used to make that strange oooOOOP!  noise (hard to describe - a rising hum) which I don't hear in the engine room?

Also, do the new boilers make her any more efficient now?

Hi Rob,

The noise you hear is her steam driven boiler feed pump (one of a pair built by Weir of Cathcart) - that design of pump makes a noise on the up and downstroke. When she gets above a certain engine speed the noise from the pump decreases due to the speed it is having to pump condensate back to the boiler feed system. The lever would have been across the board in that video so you saw that engine going pretty much flat out. This wont be repeated often if at all in service as it places a huge stress on the wheels and also gulps fuel!

The boilers are a more modern version of the Thermax units she had fitted previously. The firing system is brand new so I guess that will add to the efficiency of the system (if you can use efficiency and steam plant in the same sentence :) )

She didnt sail on Friday as planned due to an administration issue (something related to the MCA I am told) but the pax were invited on board and given a coffee etc so at least they werent turned away as they would have been in the "old days"

She was late down the river yesterday too due to a small steam leak - these things will happen as the new plant settles in.

All in all a good start to her micro season. A lot of sailings are sold out I am told (albeit on reduced numbers ) so hopefully that can set the company up for the winter ahead and hopefully she will be allowed to carry more pax by the time season 2021 comes around!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #41 on: Aug 24, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Wonderful to see her bombing along with a bone in her teeth in the footage! The drone footage is wonderful too, with the sound of her coming off the berth!
She has the best acceleration and best brakes of any large vessel on the river :)

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #42 on: Aug 27, 2020, 07:14 PM »
She's just been[1910 Thursday 27th August.]  on Michael Portillo's 'Great British Railway Journeys' on Yesterday, it is the programme first broadcast in 2015.
He is travelling from Ayr and met, and sailed, on her in/from Greenock.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2021, 12:29 PM »
I have a technical question about Waverley, more of a what-if, that involves a bit of QE2 :)

My Dad was a turbine engineer and he was sad that they were being removed from QE2, however I remember him also being absolutely supportive of the new machinery.  One of the things i specifically remember him mentioning (I was only 14 so have mostly forgotten..) was the heat recovery equipment for all the heat thats normally lost up the funnel.  I think my modern condensing boiler here in the house has the same idea to make it more efficient, so the exhaust is now colder gases than an old boiler.

You can see where I am going with this - and what my question is!?

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #44 on: Feb 15, 2021, 12:58 PM »

You can see where I am going with this - and what my question is!?

Hi Rob - I think I do and I also think its a good question!! There are five exhausts on Waverley post reboilering - 2 from the boilers themselves and 3 from her new gensets.
In theory (and I am no expert here) using the heat from the exhausts could be used perhaps to assist in the feedwater preheating or maybe to heat a space on board? I am not 100% sure but on the old boilers the ship's heating was achieved by using a steam - water heat exchanger to heat the water which was then circulated around the ship by a series of pumps (not too far removed from a normal heating pump that would be a domestic heating system). Whether the amount of heat generated would justify the expense of fitting the equipment etc I cannot say but in principle I absolutely see where you are going with this!!

Gav

Waverley Updates - 2018

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 90
Views: 16147
Last post Dec 19, 2018, 12:24 PM
by Clydebuilt1971
Who owns the Waverley - and key people involved

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 9
Views: 1993
Last post Jul 06, 2019, 03:17 PM
by tramscape
Little and large (Waverley with QM2 and QE2)

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 9
Views: 3526
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
by luzparis
PS Waverley 2023 Dry Dock Appeal

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 5
Views: 1391
Last post Jan 29, 2023, 10:05 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Links to other Waverley Websites