Author Topic: Was there one special item on QE2 which you would have liked to have to keep?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Twynkle

Just One thing...from QE2 (1969 to 2008)
This is  a difficult choice - maybe we could say why, as well as from which date...

It's doubtful whether many of us have a huge desire now to own something of great expense that was once on board - however, there are things remaining in memories that personally, I would like to die for...
Well, not quite, you understand - however an early Chair, a piece of the wonderful carpeting, woodwork, or a picture, or an outrageous statue, or a precious White Star butter Dish...
It could be very difficult to choose just one thing....
At the time of writing (end of December 2019) all the papers and journals are full of Quizzes,
and the TQS is 10 years old...and more. 

Maybe its time for us to think about  something similar to a QE2 Quiz?!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Nice question, Rosie.

I thought about this a bit, and two things come to mind. One would be the glass centrepieces on the tables of the Princess Grill -- but these had "disappeared" years before QE2 arrived in Dubai for the final time... Maybe one of us has given one of them a home...?

And the other would be a complete set of bedding. Even a bed as such, if I had the space. Both bed and bedding were superb, and I always slept beautifully on board. I notice the bedding is still in use in the QE2 Hotel -- glad to see that it is still being appreciated.

And it would be tempting to request a set of that beautifully designed QE2 cutlery...

Cunard QE2 Silver cutlery
by Rick, on Flickr

Offline Waverley

I would love to have the Sea horses,Centrepiece of the Mauretania Restaurant.
Interesting design sculpture.
However, I think that I was the only person who actually liked it.
Sorry I do not have a photo to show you.

Interesting to compare with what we said all those years ago, during the early days of the Forum :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=131.0

Offline pete cain

I know it's been said before -somewhere on this forum, but,   the key, the big heavy fob & the clunk as you turn it,     not a massive item but, just wish I had it :( :(

Online Andy Holloway

There is no contest, it HAS to be the silver Aspreys model of QE2 as at launch, that was in the Rotunda, i've stood and coveted it on many a disembarkation/embarkation.

I must agree with you, Andy. Of all the objects on the QE2 too big for me to accommodate, it is this silver ship model that I would have coveted. The Spirit of the Atlantic in her glass case, and the Samurai in his glass case would have been highly welcome too. If only someone gave me an extra room to exhibit them!

Online Andy Holloway

I must agree with you, Andy. Of all the objects on the QE2 too big for me to accommodate, it is this silver ship model that I would have coveted. The Spirit of the Atlantic in her glass case, and the Samurai in his glass case would have been highly welcome too. If only someone gave me an extra room to exhibit them!

Isabelle,

Nothing is too big when it's as beautiful an object as the silver model, I'd make room for it, move the wife out if necessary!!!!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Having never been on the ship perhaps I'm not qualified to answer this but will toss in my tuppence worth anyway!

One main thing for me - these usually get lost through time although I would imagine not on a ship such as QE2.

Her builders plate and machinery builders plate would be on my list.

Gav

Online Chris Thompson

Perhaps one of her life-rings, really would love to have a life boat or tender......

Offline Mauretania1907

The Mauretania model, or perhaps the Mauretania binnacle (because that was once part of her)  :P Or QE2 herself , but where could I store her? Better to settle for the silver model :).

The Mauretania model, or perhaps the Mauretania binnacle (because that was once part of her)  :P Or QE2 herself , but where could I store her? Better to settle for the silver model :).

Welcome back, Mauretania1907! It is good to see you here among us again. We missed you! I hope you have been keeping well :) .

Offline Willum

• QE2 Crew member
  • Caronia Diner
  • R/O and er, guitar picker.
Bit Nerdy this, but one of the Radio Room straight Morse Keys.

Online Chris Thompson

I wonder what happened to the sextant, it is mentioned in Peter Moxon's book as being in a box on the bridge...although he didn't know if there was actually a sextant inside.. :)

Offline Olivia

The Mauretania model

Agreed, have never been on the QE2 but the Mauretania model always looks stunning in photos, I would have chosen that too  :)