Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: mv The Second Snark - A New Venture  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

mv The Second Snark - A New Venture
« on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:11 AM »
Good Morning Folks from a cold but clear Renfrew, River Clyde, Scotland!

Following on from the success of ps Waverley's fundraiser for her reboilering and the return of ps Maid of The Loch to steam here is another (albeit it smaller) project in which I have a personal involvement....

mv The Second Snark - was built by shipbuilder Wm Denny & Son in 1938 to be their yard workboat, tender and erstwhile Denny family private vessel to take clients out to view ship launches etc.
She was sold to Brown Brothers in 1963 and became a test bed for their ongoing ship stabiliser development programme.
In 1969 Brown Brothers sold her to Clyde Marine Motoring Co, Greenock where she was a passenger excursion vessel and ferry on various routes on The Clyde (as well as tendering to ps Waverley on many occasions) until her sale to an American businessman in 2017.

This is where it all started to go wrong for the old girl and where the press release copied below takes up the story.....

'17.11.19 - SECOND SNARK PRESERVATION SOCIETY

After over a year of work behind the scenes, we are today delighted to be able to make several keynote announcements.

MV The Second Snark Saved from Scrap
The 1938 Wm Denny & Son tender, MV The Second Snark, has been saved from scrap by her former owner, Hamish Munro, and the newly formed Second Snark Preservation Society.

By the summer of 2018 it had become apparent that after undergoing some £400,000 of restoration work, MV The Second Snark's American owner had had a change of heart about his project and had abandoned the ship in the yard of Stirling & Son yard, Plymouth.

With "The Snark" under real threat of demolition, Hamish Munro stepped in to save her and then repatriate her to Scotland. With the ship substantially stripped back, this involved her hull being patch repaired sufficient to re-float her. so that she then could be lifted out of the water at the Mayflower Marina. The Second Snark then was loaded on to a heavy transporter and made the 514 miles trip back to her homeland, by road.

Second Snark Preservation Society
Once secured at her temporary lay-up location, work was able to begin both on undertaking a full feasibility study and creating a new trust to take over the stewardship of this much loved little ship. This was only made possible thanks to the extremely generous support of Hamish Munro, who met all of the monthly storage costs from his own funds. All in all Mr Munro has donated about £20,000 to the project; we are indebted to him.

The Second Snark Preservation Society was duly incorporated by William Tomlinson and Gavin Stewart, and on 1st October the Charity became the official owners of MV The Second Snark.

The Trustees are delighted to report that after a full appraisal of the ship by naval architects Brookes Bell LLP and talks with the MCA, there is nothing to stop the The Second Snark from being restored to working order.

Our Vision
Quite simply, the Second Snark Preservation Society intends to complete the project that was started by the vessel's previous owner; we are going to complete the restoration and return MV The Second Snark to an operational condition.

With £400,000 of work already undertaken and with the estimate to completed the restoration at about the same amount, effectively we are 50% along the path to being able to operate the ship again. That is an absolutely excellent starting point.

Next Steps
Over the coming weeks we will be making further announcements about the future of the ship.

In the meantime, in order to take the project to the next stage we need to raise £20,000.
A fundraiser will be launched shortly via this Facebook page, and we hope you will support us as generously as you can in restoring this Clyde favourite.

- SSPS -'

We have secured a home for the vessel where the works can be carried out on her as the funds permit. An announcement will be made nearer the time of the move.
There is also another exciting tie in to be announced once the i's and t's have been dotted!

I sailed on this vessel many times between 2000 and 2007 and always promised myself if I won the lottery I would buy her!
I guess being Chairman of the society which owns her is close enough! The main thing is that we get her back where she belongs - on The Clyde!

There is a tenuous link to QE2 - the development work that was undertaken using this little ship in the 60s would have benefitted her via improvements to the stabiliser system fitted to her when she was built.

You'll find us on Facebook Second Snark

Gav

Some photos below:

(1) Towing a ship's engine in Denny of Dumbarton's yard in 1958 (Charles McCaig)
(2) On The Clyde in the 1980s
(3) Tendering to Waverley in 2012
(4) Tendering to Waverley in 2012
(5) Wheelhouse
(6) Yours truly on board in 2004 leaving Helensburgh bound for Gourock.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2019, 09:35 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: mv The Second Snark - A New Venture
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2019, 09:48 AM »
Gav thanks for posting the story of The Second Snark. 

You enthusiasm to get involved in restoring boats is incredible, I know you have given your time to restore the Waverley and to keep her shipshape, for many years and you are also currently involved helping with electrical work on the Queen Mary. 

Looking forward to hearing more about the progress of work and good luck with the fund-raising. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2019, 10:22 AM »
Gav thanks for posting the story of The Second Snark. 

You enthusiasm to get involved in restoring boats is incredible, I know you have given your time to restore the Waverley and to keep her shipshape, for many years and you are also currently involved helping with electrical work on the Queen Mary. 

Looking forward to hearing more about the progress of work and good luck with the fund-raising.

Thanks Lynda,

I cant believe that it was 9yrs since I "jumped ashore" from the Waverley thing - it was a great time to be involved though. Wishing them all the best of luck for 2020 and beyond.
Queen Mary is in a bit a lull just now - planning for the next restoration phase is underway.

I am really happy that the skills I have in my day to day job can be put to good use in this way. Getting The Second Snark back onto the river in some way will be the icing on the cake. A long way to go though but we've made a start finally!!

Gav

Offline No 736

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2019, 05:34 PM »
Great news Gavin, keep up the good work.
Steve S.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2019, 07:39 PM »
About 10 - or maybe it was more.. - years ago, Waverley suffered a broken paddle when returning to Dunoon one weekend.  We were stranded in Dunoon for a while, and were delighted when Second Snark appeared to take us back over to Greenock.  My main memory is of going down below to a very cosy wee saloon, where we sheltered from the code, and warmed up, on our way back across.  From memory, she moved around a lot on the water!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2019, 01:59 PM »
For those of you not on Facebook (and who are interested in following this wee ship) - we are starting to chart the ship from her leaving Greenock in Sept 2017 until her return in 2018 and everything in between!!

A Journey from Here to There and Back Again - Part 1

Not a great deal is known about what happened to "The Second Snark" after she left the Clyde, back in 2017. Over a series of short reports, therefore, we are going to do our best to bring you up to speed with all that befell her before her return to Scotland in 2018.

Each report will be accompanied by a series of previously unseen photographs, supplied with the kind permission of Stirling and Son Boatbuilders.

We will of course be detailing all of the work that was undertaken by Stirling and Son, at their yard, but we pick up the Snark's adventure right at the start, with her delivery voyage from Greenock to Plymouth.

The skipper's log for 1st September 2017 reads:

Delivery Voyage from Victoria Harbour, Greenock to Mayflower Marina, Plymouth
Day 1 – Departure from Greenock
Friday 1st September 2017

- Vessel is to have a crew of 3 for the voyage, all from Stirling and Son Boatbuilders (the company in Plymouth contracted by the new owner of The Second Snark to carry out work to convert her to a luxury yacht tender)
- Crew arrive at vessel 1430hrs, stow their gear and begin preparations for departure
- Vessel’s fuel tanks are topped up, main engines and generator are checked and started plus any loose items lashed down securely
- After reporting details of passage to the Coastguard, The Second Snark slips her moorings and departs from Victoria Harbour for the final time at 1900hrs
- Making 8 knots with a light wind from the North West and an adverse tide she made her way down river and as soon as Ailsa Craig was left to port the course was adjusted to make for South Rock, Northern Ireland
- As The Second Snark sailed her way into the night she was making 11 knots with a favourable tide and a light wind from the south.

In today's photos you can see:

(1) Gear on quayside ready for stowing
(2) MV Second Snark taking fuel
(3) Topping up engine fluids
(4) Starting main engines
(5) MV Second Snark alongside Victoria Harbour
(6) Bow view approaching G.O.T
(7) View back to wheelhouse approaching G.O.T
(8 ) View in wheelhouse passing G.O.T
(9) View off stern passing G.O.T
(10) Sunset approaching Gourock
(11) Roseneath Point on stbd side
(12) Main Channel – Cloch Lighthouse to port
(13) Close up of Cloch Lighthouse
(14) Main Channel – View of Loch Long and Holy Loch
(15) Main Channel – Down river view from wheelhouse roof
(16) Main Channel – Astern view from wheelhouse roof
(17) Main Channel – Great Cumbrae ahead
(18) Main Channel – East coast of Bute on stbd side
(19) Main Channel – Sailing into the darkness
(20) On Board – view of makeshift accommodation in fwd saloon

We will pick up the next leg of The Snark's coastal adventure in our next report, so make sure you check back soon!

I know its not QE2 related however hopefully of interest to some!!

Gav
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2019, 02:07 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing on the forum as well as Facebook Gav. 

Good story and looking forward to hearing more of her progress.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:24 PM »
About 10 - or maybe it was more.. - years ago, Waverley suffered a broken paddle when returning to Dunoon one weekend.  We were stranded in Dunoon for a while, and were delighted when Second Snark appeared to take us back over to Greenock.  My main memory is of going down below to a very cosy wee saloon, where we sheltered from the code, and warmed up, on our way back across.  From memory, she moved around a lot on the water!

Rob that was actually 17yrs ago. The ship was in between rebuild phases and would be due to sail back to Great Yarmouth at the end of the 2002 season for phase 2 to proceed.
She was en-route from Dunoon to Rothesay on Saturday 27th July 2002 when the number 1 radius rod on her starboard wheel snapped. This is the fixed "datum" rod that gives the other seven their position therefore the feathering gear used to determine the angle of entry of each float just collapses.

The full story is told here: Broken Radius Rod 270702

The Second Snark gets a mention further down.

Gav
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2019, 02:30 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:28 PM »
Thanks for sharing on the forum as well as Facebook Gav. 

Good story and looking forward to hearing more of her progress.

Thanks Lynda - these reports will hopefully be regular as there are a lot of photos that are interesting.
There will obviously be more announcements on restoration progress as and when is appropriate.

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Part 2 of The Second Snark delivery voyage:

30.12.19 - A Journey from Here to There and Back Again

** Part 2 **

In our last post we left MV The Second Snark sailing into the night, on track for South Rock (Northern Ireland).

We re-join her the following morning, with a look at an extract from her skipper's log:

Delivery Voyage: Victoria Harbour, Greenock, to Mayflower Marina, Plymouth

Day 2 – Shelter from the Storm (Sat 2nd Sept 2017)

- Uneventful night
- Dawn brought a stiffening South Westerly wind (regular attention to Maritime Safety Broadcasts had revealed a front moving in)
- So far vessel motion was found to be easy, with a gentle return and less rolling motion than expected (although she was found to wander significantly, requiring concentration from helmsman to hold intended course)
- At South Rock course was set for Kish Lighthouse (pending a decision on where shelter will be sought, along with fuel)
- During passage down Clyde the generator fuel feed began to leak, necessitating isolation when generator not in use
- When starting generator today the valve was left closed, which caused it to stop; after bleeding fuel system the generator started without problem
- Wind continued to strengthen and forecast deteriorated (gale warnings); decision taken to make for Dun Laoghaire
- Permission to enter granted by Harbour Master; dinghy race meant use of horn to denote course and movements
- On arrival The Snark tied up at fuelling berth and tanks were filled
- Fuel consumption found to be very low and in line with figures from engine manufacturer (Gardner); Plymouth in range without need to make another fuel stop
- On completion of fuelling vessel moved to her allocated berth and preparations made for departure (so there would be no delay when the weather moderated)
- During the course of the day the weather did not moderate; 43.5 knot winds encountered through the night along with heavy rain (during which it was established that the decks leak!)

In today's photos (again kindly provided courtesy of Will Stirling and Son) you can see:

- Irish Sea - Port side on course for Kish Lighthouse
- Irish Sea - On course for Kish Lighthouse
- Irish Sea - Looking back along starboard side from bow
- Irish Sea - Bow at waterline
- Irish Sea - Booking back along starboard side
- Irish Sea - View forward to deckhouse
- Starboard main engine
- Port main engine gearbox
- Irish Sea - View ahead
- Irish Sea - Kish Lighthouse
- Heading for shelter and fuel at Dun Laoghaire
- Refuelling at Dun Laoghaire
- On refuelling berth at Dun Laoghaire starboard side
- On refuelling berth port side

We will pick up the next leg of The Snark's adventure as she battles through heavy weather on the Irish Sea, so make sure you check back soon!

SSPS

As you will see from the last two photos (and hopefully agree) - The Second Snark is a smart wee boat - she doesn't look like this just now sadly but that is the reason for the SSPS' existence!!

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 09, 2020, 01:13 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2020, 12:18 PM »
Awesome stuff Gavin.

Thank you for sharing.

When can we book our QE2 story get together on board!?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2020, 06:02 PM »
 Oh Gavin, marvellous stuff, you must have the heart of a lion, but what foundations to start from, I wish you all the best, unlike Queen Mary at least the second snark will be 'out there ' when finished, good luck to you & the team.
     OHHHH just looked at the defination of Snark I earnestly hope it doesn't apply ::)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2020, 07:55 AM »
Oh Gavin, marvellous stuff, you must have the heart of a lion, but what foundations to start from, I wish you all the best, unlike Queen Mary at least the second snark will be 'out there ' when finished, good luck to you & the team.
     OHHHH just looked at the defination of Snark I earnestly hope it doesn't apply ::)

Thanks Pete,

Make no mistake there is a small mountain to climb with this one but it will be worth it.
The Second Snark replaced the original Denny yard steam tender Snark which was built in the late 19th century.
TS Queen Mary is a project with very different goals and intents - the way I look at it is that at least she is still with us. It could've quite easily gone the other way back in 2015.

When finished The Second Snark will augment the small collection of historic Clydebuilt vessels that are berthed on the upper Clyde (Ferry No8, Glenlee, Queen Mary & Waverley) and  as a certified work boat she can be of assistance to them if / when they need her.

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Awesome stuff Gavin.

Thank you for sharing.

When can we book our QE2 story get together on board!?

Hi Rob,

Thanks - initially she will be certified to work boat code which will only allow her to carry 12 passengers max however the intention is to future proof her as much as is possible / practical to allow us to put her into Class if deemed viable.

There will certainly be potential to get TQS members on board her!!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2020, 08:06 AM »
The shot below shows The Second Snark doing what she was originally built to do by Denny in 1938.

As well as general work boat and tendering duties she used to tow barges one of which was called "Boojum" , which were used to move ship engines from Denny's Engine Works down the Leven to the fitting out berths in the yard.

The photo attached shows her doing just that in the 1950s - not sure what ship the engine was for - all I do know is its a diesel!!

Original source of photo was Ships of Calmac website - original photographer unknown.

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:03 AM »
Thanks Gav for the continued story of mv The Second Snark's journey from Greenock to Plymouth, which seems like a long voyage for a small(ish) boat.

The photos really capture the moment in time. 
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2020, 09:29 AM »
Hi Folks,

Part 3 of The Second Snark Delivery Voyage!

13.01.20 - A Journey from Here to There and Back Again
** Part 3 **

In our last post we left MV The Second Snark tied up safely in the small port of Dun Laoghaire. We re-join her the following morning, with a look at an extract from her skipper's log:

Delivery Voyage: Victoria Harbour, Greenock, to Mayflower Marina, Plymouth

Day 3 – Down the Irish Sea, Crossing to Mainland (Sun 3rd Sept 2017)

- By morning wind still blowing strong so therefore not possible to depart
- By midday wind had abated and forecast to further decrease; decision taken to depart marina at 1400
- During departure preparation port engine not starting
- Repair made to starter solenoid and engine started
- Intention to depart reported to Harbour Master
- Coming off berth difficult due to wheelhouse causing the bow to “weathercock” in the wind
- Wind Force 4 from the South East, with moderate sea state outside of pier head
- Once clear of pier head the motion of vessel from wheelhouse was exaggerated, however motion on main deck and in main accommodation comfortable
- Once underway mechanical bilge pump blocked (required an hour and a half to clear)
- Weather forecast and reporting gave a 2.5m wave height with moderating wind and decreasing sea state
- MV The Second Snark found to perform admirably in a moderate sea, with waves shouldered away (some slamming encountered in fore part when large waves encountered)
- Plotted course took MV The Second Snark down between mainland and off-lying Irish Banks, where strong adverse tide encountered (however sea state not aggravated)
- Speed 7.5 knots with minor cavitation of either propeller when pitching and rolling
- During afternoon wind and sea state abated (however swell from South remained)
- By dusk thick fog had descended, with visibility down to half a mile (reducing to 100 yards at times)
- Heavy concentration required to maintain course due to tendency for vessel to wander off course
- With shelter of Irish Banks behind MV The Second Snark gave Tuskar Rock and overfalls a wide berth, steering down central reservation of dog legged Traffic Separation Scheme before crossing out to South at right angles
- Thick fog encountered during this part of the voyage
- Course set for Longships Lighthouse
- Wind fell to light, with swells from South West
- Fog banks encountered through the night
- Now less than one day until journey’s end

In today's photos (again kindly provided courtesy of Will Stirling and Son) you can see:

- Irish Sea - Battling the waves
- Irish Sea - Deck view looking towards bow
- Irish Sea - Rough seas off stern
- Irish Sea - View along port side towards stern
- Irish Sea - Fog bank during the night

We will pick up the next leg of The Snark's adventure as she starts to near the end of her journey to Plymouth, so make sure you check back soon!

SSPS

Only one more part of the delivery voyage account to go!

Gav
« Last Edit: Jan 22, 2020, 09:31 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Branson's Virgin To Pilot New Cruises Venture

Started by CAPBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 40
Views: 10407
MV Discovery (ex-Island Venture, Island Princess)

Started by pete cainBoard Ships

Replies: 13
Views: 4897
Pacific Princess, ex Sea Venture (The Love Boat)

Started by luzparisBoard Ships

Replies: 28
Views: 8713