Author Topic: QE2 talk by Bruce Peter in Southampton Sat 16th Nov  (Read 242 times)

Online Barumfox

QE2 talk by Bruce Peter in Southampton Sat 16th Nov
« on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:00 PM »
For anybody who is interested  and available to attend, Bruce Peter is giving a talk on the QE2 at the Ocean Liner Society Ship Show at the Masonic Hall in Southampton tomorrow at 2pm - with an earlier talk at 12 covering Q3 among ships Damned by Destiny by that book's authors. Non OLS members £3. Show open 10am to 4pm with no doubt lots of QE2 related items to peruse on the stalls.

Gary

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: QE2 talk by Bruce Peter in Southampton Sat 16th Nov
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2019, 02:20 PM »
Will you be going? I would love to read about the event, if you get the chance to go and tell us more.

Online Barumfox

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2019, 04:31 PM »
As a long time OLS member I will be going - for anybody interested in liners / cruise ships I would recommend OLS membership at £20pa  if only for the quarterly Newsletter alone, but also the opportunity for the cruise ship visits they can access ( at ports round the country ) plus the monthly talks in London often by cruise industry figures and authors, and the annual Ship Show as held tomorrow where there are usually numerous memorabilia, book, DVD, art print etc stalls as well as the talks.

Gary

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2019, 05:17 PM »
As a long time OLS member I will be going - for anybody interested in liners / cruise ships I would recommend OLS membership at £20pa  if only for the quarterly Newsletter alone, but also the opportunity for the cruise ship visits they can access ( at ports round the country ) plus the monthly talks in London often by cruise industry figures and authors, and the annual Ship Show as held tomorrow where there are usually numerous memorabilia, book, DVD, art print etc stalls as well as the talks.

Gary

Thank you Gary.  Do OLS ever do ship visits in Scotland and, if so, when was the last one?

Cunard no longer reply to our enquiries about potential ship visits, despite previous mutually successful events...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2019, 06:15 PM »
I will be attending, although I am not currently an OLS member -  it has been a while since I last attended an OLS Ship Show as it was held up in London when I last went in 2005. Looking forward to meeting up again with friends and long-time family friends (including from QE2 trips) who are fellow ship enthusiasts. Looking forward to meeting you too Gary.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2019, 10:01 PM »
Just returned home from the OLS Ship Show. Both talks including Bruce Peter's talk were excellent and informative. It was great to finally meet Bruce. It was also good to meet you Gary, in person, and talk QE2 and other ships for a bit. I am now an OLS member (again I think) and am looking forward to receiving the quarterly "Sea Lines" magazine once again!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Barumfox

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2019, 11:39 PM »

it was good to meet Thomas at the OLS show on Saturday and the talks were as good as described and lasted about an hour and a quarter each - Prof Bruce Peter in particular really getting into his topic and not holding back on his opinion on what Trafalgar House did to QE2 and some of their other properties!

The show has unfortunately shrunk over the years and the current venue  is more cramped than others used before but was still well  worth the 300 mile round trip as usual to renew acquaintance with familiar faces.

There was also time to visit the 'Oceans' shop on the QE2 Mile , not far from her anchor, after the show which stocks many passenger liner items - including a framed early colour photo of QE2 signed by her first captain Bil Warwick which I reluctantly decided to resist.

In relation to Rob's question about whether any of their ship visits have been in Scotland - the answer is yes - they had at least two scheduled there last year - at Leith (Silver Wind - Silversea) and at Largs Ayrshire (Hebridean Sky - Noble Caledonia). As the OLS membership appears to be heavily concentrated in Southern England I believe there is a better chance of getting a place /  lucky in any ballots for oversubscribed visits in Scotland than there is for the Southampton / Dover visits for example. I have also visited ships as far apart as  Falmouth and Newcastle - the visits are wherever and whenever the hard working Ships Visit Organiser can get them and cannot be predicted in advance with often a very limited allocation.

Gary

P&O 7-ship event in Southampton, 3 July 2012

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 14
Views: 4885
Last post Jul 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
by Peter Mugridge
11 June 1982 - QEII arrives at Southampton with Falklands survivors (QE2)

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1980s

Replies: 5
Views: 712
Last post Jun 13, 2018, 01:05 PM
by Rod
Three Cunarders in Southampton (One EX)

Started by tdicksonBoard Cunard

Replies: 0
Views: 1193
Last post Jan 10, 2013, 05:24 PM
by tdickson
QE2 Final day in Southampton and final departure (11/11/2008)

Started by TwynkleBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 119
Views: 26037
Last post Nov 11, 2019, 10:51 PM
by Peter Mugridge
Departing Southampton on 14/04/2019 (107 years to the day of Titanic's sinking)

Started by Thomas HypherBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 1
Views: 223
Last post Apr 22, 2019, 05:09 PM
by June Ingram