Author Topic: 17 October 2019 : Queen Mary could soon be ‘unsalvageable'  (Read 712 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Engineer tasked with Queen Mary inspections says ship could soon be ‘unsalvageable’; city disagrees

https://lbpost.com/news/engineer-tasked-with-queen-mary-inspections-says-ship-could-soon-be-unsalvageable-city-disagrees
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline ChrisUK

Re: 17 October 2019 : Queen Mary could soon be ‘unsalvageable'
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18, 2019, 02:14 PM »
That paint job on the hull still makes me roll my eyes lol

Offline ChrisUK

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18, 2019, 02:17 PM »
Also, as i understand it (and please correct me if i'm wrong) is she sunken into position with mud in her ballast tanks?

Or is she still floating and able to be moved to dry dock? (for example)

If significant repairs are needed, surely they will need access to the whole of the hull from both inside and out?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2019, 05:08 PM »
She's afloat.

Some of her tanks are full of mud for ballast, but others can be emptied and filled to allow them to lean her one way or the other for painting.

She can't be easily moved, because they removed her structural integrity by removing lots of bulkheads etc... Would also presumably make it hard to sit her in a dry dock?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2019, 10:27 PM »
She can't be easily moved, because they removed her structural integrity by removing lots of bulkheads etc... Would also presumably make it hard to sit her in a dry dock?

Yes, it very probably would - and she's probably also very dependent on the support of the water to keep her in shape.  This is going to be a very expensive head-scratcher to sort out properly.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2019, 09:30 PM »
Sadly, this increasingly sounds like the 'beginning of the end'...temporary lessees are never willingly going to invest in the structure of the ship, probably a bottomless pit, when struggling to make a profit from the front of house operation...

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2019, 01:15 PM »
Wonder if this will be QE2 in 50 years time??

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2019, 09:15 PM »

Despite disagreeing with much of what's been done to her - as far as I'm aware - she's still structurally intact internally.  Once they start messing with her bulkheads and watertight compartments etc, she's done for, and can't even be towed anywhere.

Online Olivia

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2019, 02:33 PM »
I do hope she can stick around for a little while longer because it would be my dream to visit her one day

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2019, 03:51 PM »

You think QE2 will be around in 50 years?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com