Author Topic: After this you'll believe anything!  (Read 1608 times)

Online Andy Holloway

After this you'll believe anything!
« on: Jul 18, 2019, 06:11 PM »
When i was Chief Security Officer on QE2 we were on a cruise, about 2 or 3 cruises after finishing the World Cruise, so around late May/early June.
One evening i was called to a passenger cabin by The Carpenter, he had been sent to repair a chest of drawers in a cabin where, the 12 yo child occupant had broken the catch in the bottom drawer that prevents the drawer opening too far in rough weather. The child had dropped something into the void under the drawer and, on trying to retrieve this item the drawer had come out completely, revealing several bottles of alcohol in the void space!
I took the items and went to talk to the Chief Housekeeper, who laughed and told me about the World Cruise Occupants of that particular cabin.
They were an English couple who regularly went on the QE2 World Cruise, and always in the same 5 Deck Cabin, about the cheapest you can get. They were well known to the crew as being very tight fisted so she wasn't surprised to see the contents of the void, which were 3 bottles of Gin, 2 about 3/4 full, several cans of tonic, plus 2 part opened - but sealed with masking tape - 1ltr plastic bottles of tonic, as well as an opened bottle of Vodka and an opened bottle of Whiskey.
We checked and they were already booked for the next year’s World Cruise and - strangely - in the same cabin! As they regularly travelled with another English couple, at the next 'turnaround' we checked their cabin also and found a similar stash of spirits and mixers in the same hiding place. All this 'contraband we removed into storage in the Housekeeping Store in sealed boxes and replaced with a letter from The Chief Security Officer advising them that, the items had been found during a random ship search and, should they require it back, it was available to be collected from The Chief Housekeeper. We then sat back and waited until the following January for the two couples to board for the World Cruise, which they did but never went to collect their spoils! Maybe embarrassment played some part in this!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: After this you'll believe anything!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2019, 09:21 PM »
What a fabulous story, Andy! I really enjoyed reading that…

It made me think of all the things that passengers, and possibly crew, might have hidden on board the QE2, in the hope that either themselves or somebody else might find them at some stage in the future.

I certainly had that experience with the chest of drawers in the Chartroom, where Rob never found what I had hidden for him. And I seem to remember somebody here telling us earlier about a note they had taped to the bottom of the Double Down stairs, which actually did survive to be found.

There may be little stowaway items which we hid, which even now still survive on board…

Andy, I am of course waiting for the end of your story, which will be the fate of the bottles you found in the two cabins. I am sure you participated in the outcome!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #2 on: Jul 18, 2019, 11:37 PM »
After the later WC the items were disposed in a 'seaman like fashion' via a punch at the crew Christmas party, waste not want not!

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2019, 01:41 AM »
Great story Andy.
I wonder how many pieces of QE2 silverware were found during the big cleanup in Dubai?
A common use of these was to silence creaky wall and deck-head panels!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2019, 12:10 PM »
Great story Andy.
I wonder how many pieces of QE2 silverware were found during the big cleanup in Dubai?
A common use of these was to silence creaky wall and deck-head panels!

It was not uncommon to find cutlery used as you describe, what other ship in the world would use silver service cutlery to stop noisy deck panels?

I don't know about silverware but i have boxes of QE2/Cunard Wedgewood crockery, i was 'given' by someone onboard!! When it was replaced by Porsgrund across the fleet, all the old Wedgewood items were withdrawn and put into storage onboard, some were then used in the Officer's Wardroom. A 'select few' of us also managed to 'acquire' small items - cups & saucers - to use in our cabins for tea/coffee! Nothing slummy about QE2 Officers!!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2019, 08:50 PM »
And who hasnt removed the drawers from the cabinet against the hull to see whats behind it ...
i had a look and placed something being there and put the drawers back. it was one of those quirky cabins
an outside cabin with bunk beds .

A 'select few' of us also managed to 'acquire' small items - cups & saucers - to use in our cabins for tea/coffee! Nothing slummy about QE2 Officers!! 
It was hinted that on the farewell crossings, some people might order a late night snack and when delivered to the cabin the dishes would be washed and everything would be "looked after " 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rod

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20, 2019, 03:14 PM »
In a similar vein.... when Southampton refits were the norm, smokers used to hide cigs in various places around the ship.
Problem was finding new places where cigs had not already been hidden and remembering where you hid them. UK Customs were very "diligent" to say the least about not allowing crew to have over the limit during refits!

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 12:53 PM »
I heard about a prank that was pulled by shipyard workers hiding a piece of steel bar in the cabin deckheads.
When the ship was moving in rough weather these would tumble around, much to the annoyance of the occupants! ;D