Author Topic: PS Waverley - Taken out of service requiring new boilers (May 2019)  (Read 5184 times)

Offline tramscape

The official launch of the appeal is tomorrow Saturday 15th June at Waverley's berth outside the Science Centre at midday

Big crowds of well-wishers are expected - and the TV cameras too, so if you want to be on telly .....

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The official launch of the appeal is tomorrow Saturday 15th June at Waverley's berth outside the Science Centre at midday

Big crowds of well-wishers are expected - and the TV cameras too, so if you want to be on telly .....

I was planning to be there, but something came up unfortunately.

I hope it all went to plan!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

I couldn't be there on Saturday however it looked to be very well attended from the photos posted on Waverley Excursions' Social Media pages.

£100k has been raised so far another £100k is required to allow them to place an order for the boilers.

More here:

ps Waverley Appeal Launch

Obviously I really hope they succeed but I think its a tall order for 2020. Keeping her in ticket whilst out of service is one of the other real challenges the owners and operators also face and that will also cost money too.

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

I am glad that there was a good turn out for the event, but even more important now that people spread the word that funding is required. 

One hundred thousand is far away from the two million plus that they need to cover the cost of the boiler replacement, so they very much need a a sponsor with big money to come along to help with the funding. 

I read on a Waverley Tweet  that if everyone who would have sailed on Waverley donated the cost of the ticket they would have the money required. Lets hope people dig deep and contribute.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline tramscape

Just over 300 were at the appeal launch, but not me. This is less than the would set off from Glasgow with on a decent Saturday's cruise......but under the circumstances, still a good turn out

However, £ 100 k is a small amount and apparently much of it represents tickets bought but for which refunds have not been sought. It is unlikely that a substantial amount more will be raised from the general public

Waverley's annual turnover in tickets is around £ 1.5 million so yes, that would go a long way, but persuading people to buy "virtual tickets", whilst sounding good, is probably not going to have the effect needed

Therefore, it basically relies on a major selfless benefactor and that doesn't seem likely, but you never know

As far as I understand it, the ship will not lose grandfather rights for some time, so maybe there is time to put in a lottery grant application after all

I would be surprised if they would commit £ 200 k on a deposit for a boiler if there is no expectation of the rest being raised and I would not expect a manufacturer to commence manufacturing either, so everything seems very much up in the air to me

« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2019, 02:45 PM by tramscape »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I'm really worried, and feel I may have already sailed on her for the last time, which makes me unbelievably sad.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I can't remember if I posted at the time, but last August, my colleague took me out on the Clyde in his rather nifty speedboat, and by complete luck and coincidence, we met Waverley as she came over to Dunoon from Greenock.  We were alongside her as she steamed in, and again as she steamed out.  I discovered that a very bouncy speedboat isn't the best platform to shoot a video, but the photos are OK!  I am thinking now how lucky I was to witness it - I said to my colleague at the time, that there was no guarantee that she'd sail for much longer, and he should enjoy it too, and appreciate it.  He didn't know much about Waverley at all, despite having a boat moored in Dunoon.   

I never took her for granted.

PS Waverley approaching Dunoon Pier
by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

PS Waverley approaching Dunoon Pier

Waverley at Dunoon Pier

Waverley and the seals

Offline Rod

Beautiful, simply beautiful. Ship and scenery!
I miss Scotland!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Great photos of Waverley, Rob !  Some of the best I have seen !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline tramscape

Waverley has been photographed a billion and one times, but that one with the seals stands out from the crowd  for obvious reasons

Brilliant

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Waverley has been photographed a billion and one times, but that one with the seals stands out from the crowd  for obvious reasons

Brilliant

Thank you - it was very stressful taking it!  The speedboat was bobbing around like crazy, and I knew the scene would just last for seconds!  If I hadn't been using my "good" camera - with the high shutter speed set - none of the photos would have come out at all.

Online cunardqueen

I think the appeal could be handled a bit better and they are loosing opportunities to get funding.   

Cant help but think the Waverley Mug is a golden chance missed. get a few made. sell  for £20 (£3 to post them) and there you have a donation built in, everyone buys mugs ! 
I bought the Waverley Bottle top warmers on the very first gathering ..they have never been used but just sit there ontop of my bottles .
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

A step forward - announced yesterday.

I am somewhat glad to read that Cochran of Annan are the selected vendor - it is their Thermax model of package boilers which are being replaced and I would imagine that this will limit the amount of changes (if any) required to the vessel to accomodate them - namely the mounts on the bottom hull frames.

Also I would hope Cochran will have taken the findings from the existing units and input some modification to the design to try (as much as possible) to prevent the issues that caused the existing units to require replacement re-occurring within the lifetime of these new units (assuming the issues had anything to do with the construction of course)

This project also takes the opportunity to remove redundant equipment from the Boiler Room - namely the Furnace Oil conditioning systems as she in no longer permitted to burn that type of fuel any more - relocate some of the auxiliary equipment to a better location etc.

Effectively try to future proof the installation as far as possible.

Theres still a long road to go however this is a significant milestone.

Waverley Boiler Order Placed.

Gav
« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2019, 09:02 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Thanks, Gav, for the update !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Waverley in England

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 1
Views: 1186
Last post Sep 06, 2017, 09:07 AM
by Michael Gallagher
Little and large (Waverley with QM2 and QE2)

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 9
Views: 3431
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
by luzparis
Who owns the Waverley - and key people involved

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 9
Views: 1835
Last post Jul 06, 2019, 03:17 PM
by tramscape
PS Waverley - Season 2020 is go!!