Author Topic: May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event  (Read 35015 times)

Offline Twynkle

Re: May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2019, 12:13 AM »
Have a Grand Time on Saturday!
Will be thinking of you all so much -
and there are plans afoot to make sure that all on board Queen Elizabeth will have the opportunity to raise a glass too! Please do post photos and a good 'Sit Rep'!
Cheers - from, what will by then be en route to one of QE2's most interesting haunts, Yokohama!
We will keep you well-posted :)
btw - and Way off topic - did QE2 ever venture north of Vancouver?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2019, 07:00 PM »
Thank you to everyone who came along today, I hope you had a good time.

We had unbelievable access to the Waverley, a great buffet lunch, Gavin's presentation about Clyde shipping, the magic ride film (with ice cream!) And then the slides, we got through all 135 slides that I'd prepared.

Here's to next time.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:01 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2019, 12:20 AM »
A great day "get together" and a big thanks to Rob, Lynda, Gavin and Ali for all of their work in making it a successful day.
it was good to view the scanned slides of the QE2 and many of them are just stunning. First time that I have seen the Magic Ride film which is so good and together with the ice cream. Great idea.

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2019, 01:49 AM »
A great day "get together" and a big thanks to Rob, Lynda, Gavin and Ali for all of their work in making it a successful day.
it was good to view the scanned slides of the QE2 and many of them are just stunning. First time that I have seen the Magic Ride film which is so good and together with the ice cream. Great idea.

Dear Lynda, Rob and Gavin,

Thank you so much for yet another great day out to remember the iconic ship that has brought us all (and so many others) together.

I had lovely time today reminiscing with George and Maurice (in particular) and realising that we (George and I)  had been on two cruises together on QE2 and QM2 celebrating two of our “big” birthdays! Also Gavin whose slides brought a tear to my eye with his Broomielaw slides of Burns and Laird boats on the Clyde.

Loved the ice cream touch for the film Lynda!

I have also emailed photos from today/yesterday which I have not uploaded anywhere so you can use them or not as you please? Only one funnel though?

Thinking we should have more regular events on perhaps a “Meet Up” group to share photos, experiences etc?
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2019, 02:27 PM »
Couple of extra photos from yesterday attached
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Grill Britannia

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2019, 02:31 PM »
What if we booked a room like we did yesterday - arrange lunch etc - but then just have "QE2 people" come along, meet up, chat and share their memorobilia.  no presentations. ?
Yes exactly. That sounds good Rob.
QE2 Forever @RavelCat

Offline SusieD

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2019, 03:37 PM »
Thanks to Lynda, Rob, Gavin and Ali for all your hard work making yesterdays event a great success. Thanks to the Waverley and Fairfield Teams too.  It was lovely to meet up with old friends and make some new ones too.  The visit to the Waverley, delicious buffet, all the presentations, movie (the ice cream was an absolutely inspired idea!!), the Fairfield Museum, and talking non stop 'QE2' with her fans, made for a perfect day.  Oh, and winning wine in the raffle was an added bonus!!
Here's to the next get together.
Cheers
Susan

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2019, 08:05 PM »
Thanks for all your kind comments.

Thoroughly enjoyed the event from the visit to Waverley in the morning, lunch Gav's presentation, Magic Ride film with Ice Cream then Rob's presentation of the rescued slides. 

It was lovely having the opportunity to speak to everyone at Fairfields then chatting over a cocktail at the Crowne Plaza.

Excellent day, but hope that more QE2 Story members support future events. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2019, 08:28 PM »
Excellent day, but hope that more QE2 Story members support future events.

From what I have read, it seems to have been a most enjoyable event, and I look forward to more detailed reports. And of course I am intrigued by the repeated mentions of ice cream -- what was this about?

As for supporting future events, it would be great to read how this could be done? Given that we are a worldwide Forum, presumably no matter where in the world an event is being held, there will always be some of us who cannot attend in person. It would therefore be great to discuss in what other form we might be able to offer such support.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2019, 09:37 PM »
From what I have read, it seems to have been a most enjoyable event, and I look forward to more detailed reports. And of course I am intrigued by the repeated mentions of ice cream -- what was this about?

As for supporting future events, it would be great to read how this could be done? Given that we are a worldwide Forum, presumably no matter where in the world an event is being held, there will always be some of us who cannot attend in person. It would therefore be great to discuss in what other form we might be able to offer such support.

Ice cream was available to buy at cinemas  so we thought it was a good idea to serve ice cream at the start of the magic voyage film and it was well received.

I would also like to hear from Forum members how we can involve them  in future events.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2019, 10:32 AM »
In terms of doing a "write up" of this small event, I'm not sure what to say... we followed the agenda that had been given out very neatly.  The main content of the event was the slides, which have their own topic.

We gathered in the reception of the Crowne Plaza - then walked over together to the Waverley.  We were greeted on board by manager Paul Semple, and taken to the bar area where he introduced us, then sent us on our tour with (Gavin can you add the name of our tour guide please) who was really excellent and knowledable.  All areas of the ship were explored and explained including the boiler room and bridge.

After Waverley we were taken by minibus together to the recently restored Fairfield shipyard offices, where an excellent lunch was waiting for us (ordered in advance from the Dry dock cafe https://dry-docks-cafe.business.site/).  It was nice to be able to support a small business and 2 charities in the same day.

A blow of QE2's whistle signalled the start of the presentations, with Gavin presenting Clyde shipping from the 1940s to 1970s (which dovetailed neatly with the fact that we'd just come from Waverley)....

A showing of Magic Ride followed - for many it was the first time they'd seen it, and much interest was shown.  Rob gave some trivia facts (from the topic on here) and we surprised the audience by handing out cinema-style ice cream at the start.

Then Rob was into the presentation of 135 of the slides.  This went quicker than expected, because audience participation wasn't as high as I'd expected.  People seemed happy to just enjoy looking at them, rather than ask about them or add information.  The slides covered 1967 to 1976 - although the focus for 110 of the slides was no later than 1969.  So we finished somewhat early, and went on with the raffle, which raised over £250 for the waverley, and then people got a chance for a chat together.

Afterwards a small number of us made our way over to the Crowne Plaza for some drinks and that was that!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 10:39 AM by Rob Lightbody »

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2019, 09:12 PM »
Thank you very much, Rob! This gives a great flavour of the event, which I was so sorry to have missed.

I hope there will be another chance to view both the slides and the film (and taste the ice cream!) -- it must have been great to see them on a large screen and have a chance to ask questions and comment, or just take them in and be amazed that we can imagine our way back in time with their help.

Robert Waverley has sent a great photo of the group on the Waverley bridge :

Thank you both, Rob and Robert!

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2019, 11:06 PM »
Two more pictures from Robert Waverley :

The beautiful stonework at the main entrance to the Fairfield Shipbuilding board rooms

View from Waverley’s bridge with the Crowne Plaza Hotel on the left at the River Clyde

Thank you for these too, Waverley!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2019, 03:23 PM »
It certainly sounds to have been a wonderful event !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #59 on: Jul 15, 2019, 12:08 PM »
Thank you very much, Rob! This gives a great flavour of the event, which I was so sorry to have missed.

I hope there will be another chance to view both the slides and the film (and taste the ice cream!) -- it must have been great to see them on a large screen and have a chance to ask questions and comment, or just take them in and be amazed that we can imagine our way back in time with their help.

Robert Waverley has sent a great photo of the group on the Waverley bridge :

Thank you both, Rob and Robert!

That's my mum second from the left!!!

Our tour guide was Waverley Excursions Operations Director Alasdair MacMillan and the talks at the beginning and end were given by Waverley Excursions General Manager Paul Semple.

Gav

Reliability in the last few service years

Started by jdlBoard The 2000s

Replies: 3
Views: 2738
Last post Apr 21, 2010, 09:00 PM
by pete cain
Favourite Food Ten Years On

Started by June IngramBoard Passenger & Enthusiast Memories

Replies: 13
Views: 1913
Last post Jan 29, 2019, 12:21 PM
by Chris Thompson
July 2019 Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 606
Last post Jul 28, 2019, 10:48 AM
by Lynda Bradford
Richard Smith shares Captain GE Smith's story of 42 Years at Sea

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard Cunard

Replies: 9
Views: 1118
Last post Dec 11, 2021, 06:23 PM
by Lynda Bradford
QE2 - Our Summer Gathering - Five years on.

Started by TwynkleBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 2632
Last post Feb 24, 2013, 03:46 PM
by Rob Lightbody