Author Topic: May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event  (Read 15785 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event
« Reply #20 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:07 AM »
Hi Folks,

Tickets will go on pre-sale for this event (ie Forum Members Only) at 0900 (GMT) on Saturday 30th April - they will be made available to our mailing list and on a newsletter on Monday 1st April.

Price will be £30 per person (including a booking fee to cover PayPal costs)

The link to the ticketing system will appear on this thread tomorrow in good time for them going on sale the next day.

Numbers are limited to 50 so get your ticket early!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #21 on: Mar 28, 2019, 08:10 AM »
Would loved to but getting a Saturday off in Hospitality is impossible for this date.
For whats its worth, your having the MAIN reason why people are gong, at the end after a lunch  and at the end  of the days events in the boardroom, this does appear to leave little scope for any discussion or worse if things over run.
Anyone ever been to a slide show organised by the SWRI, l did a great many years ago..what started off as a nice gentle presentation  ended up a rushed affair and many slides were rattled through and some were missed out.

Hi Myles,

It would've been good to make your acquaintance again - the last time I saw you was the first time I met you back on Waverley in 2010!

I totally get what you mean regarding slide shows - I've attended many in the past which have went way over time. The recently acquired slides are star of the show therefore the timings of the afternoon will be designed to allow a relaxed presentation with space for discussion / questions as it progresses.

The first slide show (by me) will be brief - a sort of "set the scene" type thing!!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #22 on: Mar 29, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Hello Folks!!

Less than 24hrs until the tickets for this event go on pre-sale to forum members only

The link to the ticket tailor event page is below - note that whilst you select "Buy Tickets" there will be no availability until 0900 Saturday 30th March.

Remember tickets are restricted to 50 total so be quick!!

Payment system is PayPal as per the Conference in 2017. You don't need an account as you can select "Pay with Credit / Debit Card" from the PayPal login page.

If you have problems email us at events@theqe2story.com and we will do our best to assist - please note you wont get immediate response as we aren't constantly monitoring the address but will do our best to be as quick as we can!

So all that is left to say is please support this event - do our beloved ship proud!!!

The link to purchase tickets is: BUY QE2 Maiden Voyage 50th Event Tickets

Look forward to seeing you all on the day!

Gav
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2019, 06:07 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rod

« Reply #23 on: Mar 29, 2019, 11:33 AM »
Obviously I wont be there but I wish those that are going every enjoyment possible!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Mar 30, 2019, 10:17 AM »
Hello Folks!!

Less than 24hrs until the tickets for this event go on pre-sale to forum members only

The link to the ticket tailor event page is below - note that whilst you select "Buy Tickets" there will be no availability until 0900 Saturday 30th March.

Remember tickets are restricted to 50 total so be quick!!

Payment system is PayPal as per the Conference in 2017. You don't need an account as you can select "Pay with Credit / Debit Card" from the PayPal login page.

If you have problems email us at events@theqe2story.com and we will do our best to assist - please note you wont get immediate response as we aren't constantly monitoring the address but will do our best to be as quick as we can!

So all that is left to say is please support this event - do our beloved ship proud!!!

The link to purchase tickets is: BUY QE2 Maiden Voyage 50th Event Tickets

Look forward to seeing you all on the day!

Gav

Gav, Thanks for the link to the ticket purchase system and letting us know that forum members have priority booking before the tickets are made available to anyone interested from Monday.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #25 on: Mar 30, 2019, 02:45 PM »
Tickets are now on Sale for the QE2 Maiden Voyage Event on 4 May

See web page for more details

and

Follow the link to: BUY QE2 Maiden Voyage 50th Event Tickets

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2019, 06:07 PM by Rob Lightbody »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2019, 02:19 PM »
Good to see that forum members are taking advantage of purchasing pre-sale tickets for the 4 May QE2 Maiden Voyage event.

As there is a maximum of 50 tickets we want to make sure that forum members get priority, so if you are interested please think about purchasing your ticket(s) before we promote the event to non members. 

Tickets are now on Sale for the QE2 Maiden Voyage Event on 4 May

See web page for more details

and

Follow the link to: BUY QE2 Maiden Voyage 50th Event Tickets

www.qe2event.com

Online Bob C.

« Reply #27 on: Apr 01, 2019, 03:08 AM »
Wish I could make it but sadly I cannot.  I look forward to the Forum's recap of the event.
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2019, 03:12 AM by Bob C. »

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event UPDATE
« Reply #28 on: Apr 01, 2019, 11:35 AM »
Hi Folks,

I am pleased to announce that Dr Bruce Peter - who entertained us with his flamboyant presentation style at the Conference has accepted our invitation to be our guest for the event in addition to Ian Johnston!

A great addition to an already great itinerary!

Come on folks - get your tickets while there are still some to get!!

Gav

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2019, 01:21 PM »
The following might be of interest.

Commodore Warwick has just announced the following on Facebook (QE2 and Cunarders)
"I am pleased to report that the 4th edition on my book about the QE2 is now available. This edition was co-authored by my son, Sam who is also author of "Shipwrecks of Cunard Line" Amazon is offering a substantial discount when ordered through this link: https://www.qe2.org.uk/books.html "

It could be good if someone might announce this at the Gathering on 4th May too.

https://www.qe2.org.uk/books.html?fbclid=IwAR2b3hPBuonyjD5Mm0rehGFnJ45xu2rZ1GIc7RsM3XrDtqFLendMp9p2NLM

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #30 on: Apr 01, 2019, 03:15 PM »
    It could be good if someone might announce this at the Gathering on 4th May too.

If the author bought a ticket , he might be able to give some information on the slides, and bring some books and sell autographed to the masses or even dontate a book to the forum...
There are a great many books out there. maybe its not fair to promote one and not the other... there are some that actually support this forum, and many more that dont. 

But thats only my view. I would like to think  that somehow, even if half the people going do nothing else but simply vote on the photos, then that would be a slight increase in the present votes cast,Imagine if they all voted, it takes only seconds , but lm banging my drum again.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #31 on: Apr 01, 2019, 04:09 PM »
The following might be of interest.

Commodore Warwick has just announced the following on Facebook (QE2 and Cunarders)
"I am pleased to report that the 4th edition on my book about the QE2 is now available. This edition was co-authored by my son, Sam who is also author of "Shipwrecks of Cunard Line" Amazon is offering a substantial discount when ordered through this link: https://www.qe2.org.uk/books.html "

https://www.qe2.org.uk/books.html?fbclid=IwAR2b3hPBuonyjD5Mm0rehGFnJ45xu2rZ1GIc7RsM3XrDtqFLendMp9p2NLM

We've already given this book a plug here, and on our Facebook page, and on Twitter. Unless they were to sponsor the event, or turn up, or give attendees a free copy, that's all we'll be doing.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #32 on: Apr 03, 2019, 04:57 PM »
If you have not yet booked your ticket for the event on 4 May to celebrate 50 years since QE2's Maiden Voyage please think about booking tickets soon as this will be a ticket only event.

At £30 a ticket you will have the opportunity for a behind the scenes tour of PS Waverley, then there will be transport to take you to Fairfield Offices for a light lunch followed by slide shows and a showing of the "Magic Ride" film.  What more would a QE2 or shipping enthusiast want?

Have a look at the full details that Rob has added to this web page.  Follow the link at the bottom of this page to purchase tickets. 
https://www.theqe2story.com/events/2019/index.html
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #33 on: Apr 04, 2019, 09:31 AM »
Fairfield Shipbuilding Office is truly a historic venue that has been chosen for the slide show and film viewing.  I have visited this building before for a tour but have never attended an event there, so looking forward to our 4 May event to celebrate 50 years since QE2's Maiden Voyage.

Clydebuilt 1971 recently posted in the Restoration of Fairfield Shipbuilding Offices topic with some photos. 
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #34 on: Apr 07, 2019, 11:52 AM »
We have had a good start to the sale of tickets since the tickets went on sale. 

However, we are hoping that many forum members support this event, which gives the opportunity to meet up with other members. 

Firstly, there is the one of opportunity, to be onboard PS Waverley for a behind the scenes tour, when the boat is not open to the public.  Then a short bus ride  to the Fairfield Offices, where after a light buffet lunch there will be a presentation of shipping on the Clyde 1940's to 1970's, a fantastic piece of history.  Then a special screening of "Magic Ride" before you have the opportunity to view the slides that Rob purchased on behalf of the forum. 

But most of all you will be supporting the forum and meeting up with like minded people, who love QE2. 

Have a look on the QE2 Story page and book your tickets before the event is sold out

www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #35 on: Apr 11, 2019, 10:24 PM »
Three weeks this Saturday until this fantastic event on 4 May to celebrate QE2's Maiden voyage. 

Fantastic opportunity to get a behind the scenes tour of PS Waverley (circumstances permitting) then transport to Fairfield's Museum for a light lunch before a slide show of photos showing shipping on the River Clyde 1940's to 1970's, a special showing of Magic Ride before the a slide show of the slides Rob rescued from eBay showing the building of QE2 and photos of the early years of the ship.

For more details look have a look at the web page:

Hope to see you at the event.

www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #36 on: Apr 12, 2019, 11:48 AM »
Waverley is en route to drydock today under tow (boilers are out of service for overhaul) - she is due out of drydock the week before we are to visit so those lucky enough to have tickets will see the World's Last Seagoing Paddle Steamer as most have never seen her!!

That coupled with the rest of the events of the day is well worth paying £30 for your ticket!!

Please be aware that if something unforeseen is found during the vessel's drydocking then her exit and return to Glasgow may be delayed - hopefully all will go to plan! The joys of keeping a 70+ year old steamship in rude health!!

Come on - lets get this thing over the line! :)

Gav
« Last Edit: Apr 12, 2019, 11:53 AM by Clydebuilt1971 »

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #37 on: Apr 16, 2019, 07:09 PM »
CLOSING DATE HAS NOW BEEN SET AT 25TH OF APRIL.

Don't miss out on this chance to attend our special one-off event, and to meet some of us too!
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2019, 07:24 PM by Lynda Bradford »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #38 on: Apr 18, 2019, 10:41 AM »
If any of our attendees at this event would like to meet up on Friday evening too, please let us know here or contact me directly.

Lots going on behind the scenes in preparation for what will be a very special event.

We're taking you back in time to the brand new QE2!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #39 on: Apr 18, 2019, 08:22 PM »
If any of our attendees at this event would like to meet up on Friday evening too, please let us know here or contact me directly.

Lots going on behind the scenes in preparation for what will be a very special event.

We're taking you back in time to the brand new QE2!

As Rob has mentioned there has been a lot of effort going on to ensure the get together on 4 May to celebrate 50 Year since QE2's Maiden Voyage will be a huge success. However, we could do with a few more forum members buying tickets and attending the event. 

It will be a unique opportunity to go onboard PS Waverley while she is moored at her berth at Pacific Quay. Then a bus transfer to Fairfield Offices Boardroom for a light  lunch. In the afternoon there will be a trip  down memory lane; firstly with Clydebuilt 1971's presentation of slides showing shipping on the River Clyde 1940's to 1970's, then what better way  celebrate QE2's Maiden Voyage than to have a special showing of Magic Ride.  Finally Rob will present the QE2 early slides he bought on eBay, giving commentary and inviting comments from the audience. 

If you have time on 4 May, please think about supporting the QE2 Story by buying tickets and joining us for what will be a most enjoyable event. 

See more information and link to purchase tickets on this web page:

www.qe2event.com

QE2 - Our Summer Gathering - Five years on.

Started by TwynkleBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 1760
Last post Feb 24, 2013, 03:46 PM
by Rob Lightbody
July 2019 Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 327
Last post Jul 28, 2019, 10:48 AM
by Lynda Bradford
10 Years Ago Today: Wednesday 26 November 2008

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 11
Views: 920
Last post May 17, 2019, 10:45 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Reliability in the last few service years

Started by jdlBoard The 2000s

Replies: 3
Views: 1920
Last post Apr 21, 2010, 09:00 PM
by pete cain
In the unlikely event...

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Officers & Crew Areas