Author Topic: May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event  (Read 15745 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hi,

Update on what we have organised for the get together on 4 May in Glasgow, to celebrate QE2's maiden voyage. 

Firstly, PS Waverley is opening to us for a tour - quite a privilege because she's normally closed to the public at this time.  This will be in one or two small groups, so you'll get to ask the crew any questions you have about this magnificent vessel.

Then we move to the offices of the historic Fairfield shipyard - the boardroom no less - for a light lunch, with presentation of two slideshows - and a special viewing of the wonderful "Magic Ride" film in between.  The second slideshow is of the "unseen" QE2 slides

PLEASE SEE REPLY #10 BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS

and

The link to purchase tickets is: BUY QE2 Maiden Voyage 50th Event Tickets

- Rob
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019, 04:24 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Andy Holloway

Re: May 2019 - Get Together
« Reply #1 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:33 PM »
Do you have any possible dates Rob?

My 'social calendar' for May is quickly filling up!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #2 on: Mar 17, 2019, 07:50 PM »
The first weekend, the one that most closely coincides with the maiden voyage anniversary.

I don't know if you've been following the "box of slides" topic... but they're pretty much a good enough reason for a get together on their own!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:10 PM »
That would be great.
How about the Riverside Transport Museum as a venue. You can hire a room there. Also a photo opportunity with the huge Qe2 model on display.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Mar 17, 2019, 08:15 PM »
I don't know if you've been following the "box of slides" topic... but they're pretty much a good enough reason for a get together on their own!   

A slide show..Gee all we need is to hire a Guild Hall, get the SWRI Ladies to lay on a Tea with homebakes and we are sorted, get one of those mobile screens, a pointer and l can almost hear the commentary over the noise of a vintage slide projector whirring away... and naturally a raffle prize...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
May 2019 - Get Together
« Reply #5 on: Mar 18, 2019, 08:55 AM »
Hello,

The working plan for this is for an exclusive tour of the PS Waverley, and then moving to a suitable venue for a slideshow of the exclusive "Unseen QE2" slides, along with a suitable film or two... Magic Ride for example!

Forum members will be given first option, but we'll also be reaching out to our conference and newsletter mailing lists.

Rob
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2019, 09:03 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Twynkle

Re: May 4th 2019 - 50 Years since QE2 Maiden Voyage event
« Reply #6 on: Mar 18, 2019, 11:42 PM »
This sounds lovely, Rob.
The only problem being we can't manage to get North in May.
However, hopefully it might just be possible to link up through Face-Time;
hopefully we will celebrate with friends and others at another gathering - 'afloat',
that is the plan, so far!

QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #7 on: Mar 20, 2019, 01:08 PM »
The venue for the slideshow/get together has been confirmed as Fairfield boardroom, in the Fairfield Govan heritage centre.

What could possibly be more appropriate than a historic shipyard boardroom.

Thanks to Gavin for organising this for us.

It would be helpful if any forum members interested gave us an indication here.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2019, 09:51 PM »
Great and perfect venue for this. Count me in.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2019, 02:50 AM »
I one off opportunity to celebrate QE2 ‘s maiden voyage. Here’s hoping members can attend and share memories as well as enjoying the slide show.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2019, 10:34 AM »
Hi Folks,

Update on this proposed event in the form of an itinerary for the day:

0930 - 1130       Exclusive Tour of ps Waverley at her Glasgow Science Centre berth.
1130 - 1200       Transfer by coach (if numbers permit) to Fairfield Heritage, Govan (approx. 10mins)
1200 - 1600       The Board Room - Fairfield Heritage (order and content may be subject to change)
                         Light Buffet Lunch consisting of sandwiches, tea / coffee & biscuits.
                         Presentation of slides depicting shipping on the Clyde 1940s - 1970s
                         Screening of 'Magic Ride'
                         Presentation of QE2 Slides recently procured by Rob on behalf of the forum.
1610                  Return Transfer to Glasgow Science Centre

1630                  Drinks & Social Gathering at The Crowne Plaza Hotel (just across river from Science Centre)
1930                  Dinner at The Anchor Line - located in the former head offices of the shipping line (owned by Cunard 1911-1935)

Maritime Historian Ian Johnston and Professor of Design History at Glasgow School of Art Professor Bruce Peter will both be present as our Special Guests for the event.

Those of you who attended the 50th Anniversary Conference will recall both were speakers with Ian opening the Event.

Note 1: There will be a modest charge levied per person (to be announced ASAP) which will cover the cost of Fairfield Heritage opening especially for us on a Saturday and Coach Transfers.
Note 2: A donation to Waverley Steam Navigation Co will be requested from those present on the day as a token of our appreciation of their kind offer of a tour.
Note 3: Note that drinks and dinner in the evening are optional and would not be included in the charge noted above.

Hope the above is of interest - lets get together and celebrate another QE2 Anniversary!!

The link to purchase tickets is: BUY QE2 Maiden Voyage 50th Event Tickets

Gav
« Last Edit: Apr 18, 2019, 04:25 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2019, 03:19 AM »
An excellent itinerary- thanks Gav for arranging this event to celebrate QE2 ‘s maiden voyage.

Forum members and QE2 fans - this is a wonder opportunity for a get together and for those who live further afield maybe a nice weekend break in Glasgow
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2019, 09:17 AM »
What a wonderful day is being planned! I just wish I could be there... but Glasgow will be too far...

Wishing you all an excellent day -- and thank you, Gav, for having done so much already to make it so!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2019, 04:13 PM »
A great day planned - wish I could make it, maybe another time! Would be great to meet up with you all, in person, in the future  :)
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2019, 10:42 PM »
This will surely be a wonderful event.  I really must do something about living so far away !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Malcolm

« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2019, 07:47 PM »
I thought that the last celebration had laid my QE2 sentiments to rest. I don't want to go out to Dubai to see her remains and, as I didn't think there'd be anything else to see, I was letting her live in memory. (Hence my absence from here).

However, I have kept receiving the newsletter. When I received the latest fromRob I was very interested to hear about the photographs. We would be very interested in attending and I look forward to being able to book :)

Offline SusieD

« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2019, 02:59 PM »
James and I are very interested in attending and will keep a look out for details of how to book!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Hi Folks,

We are currently finalising the setup of our on line ticketing system (we are using the same one as we used for the Conference) - all being well ticket sales will commence at 0900 Saturday 30th March.

We will confirm this here beforehand!

Hoping to see a good response to the event.

Gav

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #18 on: Mar 27, 2019, 04:16 AM »
Looking forward to booking tickets for this event to celebrate the maiden voyage. What a fabulous opportunity to view the slides
www.qe2event.com

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #19 on: Mar 27, 2019, 09:29 PM »
Would loved to but getting a Saturday off in Hospitality is impossible for this date.
For whats its worth, your having the MAIN reason why people are gong, at the end after a lunch  and at the end  of the days events in the boardroom, this does appear to leave little scope for any discussion or worse if things over run.
Anyone ever been to a slide show organised by the SWRI, l did a great many years ago..what started off as a nice gentle presentation  ended up a rushed affair and many slides were rattled through and some were missed out.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

10 Years Ago Today: Wednesday 26 November 2008

Started by Michael GallagherBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 11
Views: 920
Last post May 17, 2019, 10:45 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
QE2 - Our Summer Gathering - Five years on.

Started by TwynkleBoard Past Events

Replies: 6
Views: 1760
Last post Feb 24, 2013, 03:46 PM
by Rob Lightbody
Reliability in the last few service years

Started by jdlBoard The 2000s

Replies: 3
Views: 1920
Last post Apr 21, 2010, 09:00 PM
by pete cain
July 2019 Newsletter