Author Topic: Unseen slides of QE2 being built, fitted out, on trials and early years.  (Read 19138 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

Rob's early years slide pictures is attracting visitors to the forum.  We had an email in the admin mail box enquiring about the white Lido Deck furniture.

since I was a young boy I have been interested in the old transatlantic ocean liners........
I have read some newer books and I am very pleased to see brilliant works. In one of these books "Ship Style" written by Philip Dawson and Bruce Peter there is a picture, which is showing the lido decks at the stern of QE2 from the earlier years. There are some fabulous white chairs and tables in a specific modern style. You can also see these chairs in many photos in the QE2 Story Slide Collection photo album on your QE2 Story home page (April 1969).
Do you happen to know if this furniture is a designer piece or the designer is unknown?
I would be very glad to hear from you.

I wrote to Bruce Peter to ask if he knew the designer and his response was as follows:
"The furniture was, I believe, designed by James Gardiner, who was responsible for the whole outside decks. I found correspondence in the Design Archives at the University of Brighton about the deck furniture."

Does anyone have any more information on the Lido Deck furniture?
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Michael Gallagher

These images show the different types of outdoor seating QE2 offered on her aft Lido Decks.

Offline Rod

All of those are alien to me apart from the blue cushions on the deck chairs.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Hello QE2 fans.

I've just uploaded one of the last batches of slides from the collection.  The dates are unclear.  In some photos it looks like the middle windows of the lookout bar are plated over BUT is it possible its just the door to the hold in the way?

There are some other great shots like this one

and this one...

and we even get a look at the Double Up Bar

The tapestries in their original location

In Southampton for one of the first times

What room is this?

And isn't this lovely?

Even this tells a story... the room that disappeared, and a hulking great late 60s TV set!  The sunshine on the wood is nice.

and finally...

Is this the radio room?

And how lovely to see this

Engine room

A visit to the bridge

A very early shot of a view that many of us took in later years

Enjoy!  As always the full link to the slides is here
https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=207 where they are available in high quality

All Images Copyright © The QE2 Story
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2021, 03:13 PM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Trevor Casey

• Queens Grill Diner
  • If I only could, I'd be running up that hill..
Her original sixties look was so smart and stylish. Love it so much.
Blue hydrangea, cold cash, divine, cashmere, cologne and white sunshine.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Hello QE2 fans.

I've just uploaded one of the last batches of slides from the collection.  The dates are unclear.  In some photos it looks like the middle windows of the lookout bar are plated over BUT is it possible its just the door to the hold in the way?

There is a single (or maybe two) window towards port side that also appears plated over in addition to the middle ones, and on closer inspection it doesn't look like the forward hold's hatch cover is blocking the others - in fact it looks as if the port side crane is lifting up the whole hatch cover for some reason - the starboard side crane doing something in the hold itself. Maybe this was during her layup in Southampton whilst the turbine issues were fixed and she was fully completed? I can't think of why some of the Lookout Bar windows would be plated/covered over at this stage unless perhaps the aluminium was already giving trouble around the window edges (as evident elsewhere today) and they hadn't yet got around to patching the corners of the windows - a bit of a long shot I know?

What room is this?

This area looks like the Chart Room behind the Bridge, and specifically where the PA microphone is in that room if I had to guess.
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2021, 07:28 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Wonderful photos! We could have a discussion on each of them, each is fascinating in its own right. For a future zoom chat?

Offline Rod

Chart room and radio room.

Online Lynda Bradford

Thanks Rob, Excellent photos of an early QE2.

One of the pictures looks like the QE2 radio room.

If Willum or Roger are logged into the forum they may identify the equipment shown in the picture in relation to the room plan below.

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Bob C.

Which slides are you referring to on the plated over windows in the Lookout Bar?  I don’t see anything unusual in any of the photos.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Which slides are you referring to on the plated over windows in the Lookout Bar?  I don’t see anything unusual in any of the photos.

The first slide, alongside at Ocean Terminal.

Online Bob C.

The hatch is not readily evident from the photo but after saving it to my computer and zooming in, I can just make out the top edge of the hatch which is just above the line of the window tops (see photo).  For comparison, I included a few other photos of the open hatch and deck colors in QE2's 1969 configuration.  I found them on a website I've not seen before. Here is the link if interested. 

http://www.modelships.info/debrisfield/resources/qe2_1969_1972.html

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Great photos ! Many thanks, Rob, for posting them ! They would indeed make a great Zoom topic. I especially like the engine room and bridge photos !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
The hatch is not readily evident from the photo but after saving it to my computer and zooming in, I can just make out the top edge of the hatch which is just above the line of the window tops (see photo).  For comparison, I included a few other photos of the open hatch and deck colors in QE2's 1969 configuration.  I found them on a website I've not seen before. Here is the link if interested. 

http://www.modelships.info/debrisfield/resources/qe2_1969_1972.html

It seems the inside of the hatch cover was repainted from white by the time of that photo alongside in what seems to be Manhattan? Or maybe the hatch cover was lined with some kind of material, insulation or waterproofing?

Online Bob C.

It could be the way the light is reflecting off of it.