Author Topic: Unseen slides of QE2 being built, fitted out, on trials and early years.  (Read 45085 times)

Offline pete cain

I'm really sorry not to've noticed this topic (I knew Rob was posting  bit by bit)  but WOW, just brilliant, I bet they are something else on a bigger screen.  What I love is that - no matter how much it's needed, the QE2 story logo on these beauties is tucked away discreetly so that we can enjoy the vista.
   Thanks Rob, these images here for ever,     QE2 Story  a historic repository in the making!!!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
I seem to recall there being a picture in a Ladybird book about ships that was very similar to that picture of the bow being built...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Waverley

Is it this one from the Ladybird book “The Ocean Liner” ?

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Next series of pictures from the Gallery :

QE2 being constructed, 1967, starboard side

View across QE2's bow and Clydebank QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

A historical view now, a busy, smokey and probably noisy place... providing employment and an income for many. The "good old days" were maybe not altogether healthy old days...

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
Is it this one from the Ladybird book “The Ocean Liner” ?

Yes, that is the very picture I remember from 45 odd years ago...
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

More of the "unseen" slides.

QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

Inside the theatre - QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

On the boat deck - QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

It is extraordinary to see these spaces, which we know so well, in their "raw" state, ready to become... and yet, many of the elements we know are already there, such as the long Boat Deck windows.

Offline Mauretania1907

Interestinng to see how slim the bow was atop the bulb (as shown in picture above)

Online Lynda Bradford

This is one of my favourite photos that I remember from the slide show that Rob done last year.  It shows a view of the Town of Clydebank taken from the ship in the fitting out basin.  On the left you can barely see the clock of the Clydebank Town Hall where we held the 50th anniversary of QE2's launch a few years ago and for those who remember Clydebank in the 1960 you can see Kilbowie Road and the Singer Sewing Machine factory, which is just about visible.

But what really fascinates me about the picture is I remember as the ship was being built she towered over the tenement building, but she was in the shipyard where only workers had access, so "Bankies" like me, could only watch with wonder as deck by deck she grew. However in this photo there is the reverse! QE2 is looking over Clydebank - watching me - watching her!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
These photos are amazing to see !  They are truly awe-inspiring !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

A few more photos from the "unseen" series.

The entire series is collected in the QE2Story Gallery, here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=207

QE2 under construction in Clydebank in summer 1967

Look aft on QE2 in summer 1967 towards the River Cart

QE2 under construction in Clydebank, September 1967

What an extraordinary picture of QE2's fabulous bow!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
This is one of my favourite photos that I remember from the slide show that Rob done last year.

The clock tower between the crane and the chimney on the left of the picture... is that the town hall where we had the 50th "do" a couple of Septembers ago?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The clock tower between the crane and the chimney on the left of the picture... is that the town hall where we had the 50th "do" a couple of Septembers ago?

Yes!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com

This is one of my favourite photos that I remember from the slide show that Rob done last year...

Imagine my reaction that day, when I held the mystery slide up to my lounge window, and saw that tiny image shining back at me.  Then hitting the scan button, and seeing it appear in all its glory on my big computer monitor.  I love it, it tells an entire QE2 Story all on its own.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Spectacular photo looking up at QE2's bow !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
I have added 3 more slides - each of which is lovely - from November 1967 (best guess based on markings on the slides themselves).

The next slides  I will upload, jump to May 1968.

You Tube: An Old Unseen cinefilm of QE2 1969

Started by ChrisBoard 1969 and the 1970s

Replies: 1
Views: 1956
Last post Feb 26, 2014, 06:49 PM
by June Ingram
Unseen Helicopter Footage of QE2 coming into Dubai

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 61
Views: 13778
Last post Nov 28, 2018, 11:40 PM
by Thomas Hypher