Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: That's service!  (Read 342 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

That's service!
« on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Walking past one of my favourite cafés today, I wondered whether, if I now walked in and sat down, my most frequent order (a caffè macchiato and a salted caramel icecream) would magically appear before I even got a chance to ask for it... but I think I am not quite there yet.

During our longest and final voyage on QE2, my mother's breakfast always became her first joy of the day, as the waiter knew exactly what she wanted to have, and it appeared on her table as soon as she had sat down. A pot of coffee, a pot of hot water, a slice of brown bread, a jar of honey already unscrewed, followed later by a Danish pastry. A daily delight.

My own breakfast varied a bit more, but three things also appeared without any bidding : a bowl of natural yoghurt, a bowl of fresh berries and a jar of Morello cherry jam.

Such care and attention! Invariably, it made for a happy start to the day.

And then there was the day we rose in total darkness to witness our arrival in New York, and froze on deck with our trembling hands clenched around an ugly blue plastic mug of hot coffee to keep us going. When we had finally arrived and went in, deep frozen, for our breakfast, the wonderful waiters suggested anything and everything to help us get warm again. That was one of the three of four times in my life when I ate a bowl of porridge and found it not only warming, but actually edible!

Offline Conay

Re: That's service!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:34 PM »
Lovely story, Isabelle! Thanks for sharing :)

(Though can't say I agree with the choice of breakfast ;) )

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2019, 12:01 PM »
Lovely memories Isabelle, brought back some of my own from QE2 such as making a point of having fish for main course at dinner quite often on some of our voyages as it was the best cooked fish I've ever had - not to mention the strong smell of yet another tasty dinner cooking in the forward galley when standing at the bit beneath the bridge and heading down Southampton Water at the start of another dream come true (a voyage on QE2)!
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2019, 04:11 PM »
Similar to Isabelle, I remember a cold morning on deck before 6am, watching the ship storm through the Straits of Gibralter - one of the most memorable experiences of my entire life.

When we went inside, the PG waiters were surprised to see us - but could see from looking at us what we'd been up to - and they laid on everything, it was fantastic.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2019, 08:44 PM »
If you travelled on QE2 for a decent length of time, and that time vaires, l found the waiting staff generally very good at knowing what you want during Dinner service, give them a few days and the small things like what type of bread rolls, or you tea or coffee preference and other such small matters they were very good at remembering.       
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!