Author Topic: Alan Rogers: Columbia Restaurant, Waiter, Head Union Official, Darts Champion  (Read 648 times)

Online Lynda Bradford

We were contacted by Alan Rogers' son with information about his father, who had worked on QE2 for 12 years (approximately between 1976 and 1988).  I thought his father had an interesting story that should be posted in the hope that some of the crew on the forum may remember him. 

Alan Rogers worked as a waiter in the Columbia Restaurant.  But he was also a Head Union Official and one of the main people who fought for the payouts that Cunard offered the British crew. In his Union Official Role he had to fly to New York quite a lot for negotiations.

He was also one of the executives on the chief executive board for British merchant seaman.

Alan featured in the Alan Whicker QE2 Special "A fast boat to China"

Thanks to Alan's son for sending copies of photos, which I have uploaded to the Gallery so that they are preserved as part of QE2's history. 

Columbia Restaurant Waiters 1980's:

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Lynda Bradford

A couple more photos sent by Alan Rogers' son:

Bulldogs Dart Team

Alan Rogers' with celebrity

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

Played darts against him quite a few times. Won some, lost some. Good guy!

Online Lynda Bradford

Played darts against him quite a few times. Won some, lost some. Good guy!

Interesting to see the Bulldog Darts Team (with printed t-shirt).  Can you remember the names of other Dart Teams Rod.
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

Most of the time the teams came from a specifc place, PO's club. 'Hatch etc. Bulldogs was the only one I recall with a team within a particular bar.

Online Lynda Bradford

Do any forum members recognise any of the people in this photo or the photos above:

www.qe2event.com

QE2 Videos taken by Alan Whicker from the BBC on board in 1984

Started by adlerscBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 4
Views: 6044
Last post Feb 23, 2020, 05:52 PM
by sotonsean
Alan Dutton, Hotel officer QE2 1969 to 1979

Started by June IngramBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 1
Views: 1352
Last post Mar 15, 2017, 06:29 AM