Author Topic: How the QE2 went from Pride of the Clyde to Ship of Shame in a matter of months  (Read 694 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Good article however with regards to the turbines I thought that Pametrada stood for:

"Parsons and Marine Engineering Turbine Research and Development Association" - a union of multiple companies rather than a partnership of two companies?

From a contractual view point Cunard had only one place to go and that was back to John Brown and point the finger (unfortunately) - Pametrada were in effect a sub supplier under the remit of the builder and furthermore (with the benefit of hindsight of course) surely some sort of bench testing could be carried out on those turbines rather than using QE2 as the test bed? Given her high profile and the publicity surrounding Cunard's brand new ground breaking design of liner you wouldn't be wanting to leave anything to chance......... would you??

Gav

Offline Rod

Good article however with regards to the turbines I thought that Pametrada stood for:

"Parsons and Marine Engineering Turbine Research and Development Association" - a union of multiple companies rather than a partnership of two companies?
Gav

When I joined the Franconia, which had Parmetrada turbines, I was told the same thing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsons_Marine_Steam_Turbine_Company

Interesting, that the USS Arizona had Parsons turbines, never knew that!

New ship(s) for Saga

Started by pete cainBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 6
Views: 2006
Last post Oct 25, 2015, 09:55 PM
by Greg Rudd
RMS Queen Mary - Full Tour of Ship 2024

Started by Graham TaylorBoard RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 6
Views: 699
Last post Feb 26, 2024, 01:48 AM
by cunardqueen
British woman fall overboard from cruise ship in Med.

Started by Andy HollowayBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 5
Views: 2533
Last post Aug 22, 2018, 06:51 PM
by June Ingram
Antarctic "adventure cruise" ship loses propulsion

Started by Louis De SousaBoard Ships

Replies: 1
Views: 2483
Last post Apr 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
by Rod
Which ship has The Ocean Liner look