Author Topic: QE2 Hotel November 2018 (out of bound areas)  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
QE2 Hotel November 2018 (out of bound areas)
« on: Nov 18, 2018, 09:02 PM »
Some pics from behind the scenes has been sent to me,here is the first one

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: QE2 Hotel November 2018 (out of bound areas)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Some pics from behind the scenes has been sent to me,here is the first one

I, like many other people, have many happy memories from the "bit beneath the bridge" here are just some:

Having an "interesting" time in the headwind on our last voyage in July 2008 (1 minute and 2 seconds into the video):

Mum and me waving at my Dad on the dockside, around 80/90 feet below, whilst in Malaga, Spain on Wednesday 27th October 2004 (an overnight call on that occasion - 26th/27th):

Dad's QE2 Mediterranean cruise digital photos, October 2004 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2018, 05:25 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Chris Hodges

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2018, 10:11 PM »
Great video and stunning photo

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2018, 01:43 PM »
One more

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2018, 06:54 PM »
Thanks Louis, fascinating!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2018, 09:08 PM »
Now lets study the photo. What appears to be a done up room, used for storage.some bits of rubbish on the floor and a used water bottle.
The big thing in the middle a brand new glistening luggage trolly, with some more in the same room, with one of them being used to hold the used cardboard .
Theres no carpet on the floor .
And yes its in the out of bounds area.

Who hasnt on QE2 in her hey day sneeked a peep at the out of bounds area
Any hotel that is under going a refurbishment has out of bound areas or room(s) that are locked. Its out of bounds and locked for a reason.
Where i work was done up a number of years ago. Pity help a wondering guest who strayed into out of bound areas or got into a locked room. They would have been aghast at what they would have seen. Yet a few days later all was bring and shiny clean

Is it any wonder Dubai want to control what is and more importantly what isnt seen by persons unknown.
Dont get me wrong its nice to see these areas. 
« Last Edit: Nov 22, 2018, 09:11 PM by cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Andy Holloway

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2018, 01:04 PM »
If passengers had seen some of the things that went on on QE2 before, during and after refits they would be horrified, even an hour before embarkation began on the first post refit cruise she was not completely ready.

As has been said 'Out of Bounds' means 'Out of Bounds' for a reason, not withstanding that if any injury beholds you while you're in that area, insurance wise you wouldn't have a leg to stand on - possibly literally as well!

I've many a time 'politely informed' passengers that a sign on a door saying 'CREW ONLY' means that!
But sadly there are people who think that signs and instructions are for OTHER people and don't include them!

My favourite remark was; "If that sign said; 'Hungry lion, who has not eaten for 4 weeks, on the other side of this door', would you still open it to see if it was true?"

At a crew party once on QE2 in the Grand Lounge, despite all the entry doors being closed and signed 'NO ACCESS CREW EVENT', plus the only open entry point manned by Security MAAs, we still had one British couple open the metal Bolton doors Stbd side fwd and walk through! As they left via the Tour Office lobby, heading for the Yacht Club, they angrily approached me wanting to see the Captain immediately, to complain that they heard racist remarks made about them as they walked though the lounge and, that the woman hurt her shoulder opening the door!
A very 'diplomatic' Captain heard their complaints the next morning and informed them that THEY were in the wrong on both accounts and, should they wish to take it any further then they should contact  S'ton office, they replied that they would be contacting their Solicitor on return to S'ton - we never heard anything else!!

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2018, 02:25 PM »
The Funnel Bar

Volvo Ocean Race 2018

Started by TwynkleBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 0
Views: 578
Last post Apr 02, 2018, 03:47 PM
by Twynkle
QE2 Crew Reunion - Saturday 16th November 2013, Southampton

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Past Events

Replies: 9
Views: 6871
Last post Jan 14, 2014, 10:46 AM
by baltaogc
Chris Biggs (Hotel Officer) RIP

Started by Simon BantingBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 2
Views: 882
Last post Jun 29, 2019, 03:40 AM
by Graham Taylor
August 2018 Newsletter

Started by Lynda BradfordBoard QE2 Story Newsletters

Replies: 0
Views: 939
Last post Sep 03, 2018, 10:04 AM
by Lynda Bradford
November 2023 Poll : The Best of the Best for 2024

Started by June IngramBoard Archived Topics (2024 Calendar)

Replies: 31
Views: 2587
Last post Dec 31, 2023, 07:55 PM
by June Ingram