Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: QE2 storm Cradle of Civilisation cruise Oct 2004  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Cruisemarsh

QE2 storm Cradle of Civilisation cruise Oct 2004
« on: Aug 11, 2009, 09:35 PM »
This 19 night cruise ended in drama. Upon leaving the Bay of Biscay into the English Channel on the last day of the cruise, the sea was very very very very rough, force 12 gales. On the morning of the last day of the cruise the sea got much worse and the ship was heaving alot. We were on deck one near the bow of the ship in a princess grill cabin and I looked out of the portholes and waves just kept pounding the ship even reaching up to our porthole. She was steeping low into the waves and then rising up out of the water. Everything was being flung everywhere, the ice chiller flew right across the room just as I got back into bed.  These waves must have been at least 50 feet. At 6am in the morning, the Captain Bates came on the telecom system, he appologised for the conditions and warned us that we may have to stay onboard the ship for another day as the weather was very much the same in Southampton. This was music to my ears, an extra day on the QE2 but it wasn't to my grandad who had paid for flights back upto Edinburgh. We had to anchor off Cherbourg until the conditions improved. Eventually we managed to get into Southampton that same day and we were tied up alongside by 3pm. If the conditions hadn't have died down then it was too big a risk to have brought the QE2 into Southampton as they were worried that she might actually topple over with the sheer strength of the wind.

That was a great cruise.
Queen Elizabeth 2: Legendary Grand Dame of the Seas.

Offline cunardqueen

Re: QE2 storm Cradle of Civilisation cruise Oct 2004
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Cruisemarsh,
Gosh l was on that cruise as well and remember that morning very well, Having been out the night before and a very late night in bed l awoke with the curtains at a funny angle, out from the wall and for the life of me couldnt think what was going on, it was a most odd sensation and by the time l had gathered my wits about me it dawned on me we were not capsizing,but meerly in the midst of some very rough seas, showering was fun ( l should have just covered the walls with shower gel and bounced off the walls) and being in 3006 that cabin lends itself to movement even on  a calm day. The remains of my late night snack were still on the floor,clean plates and all ! l hasten to add all the usual precautions of the bedside drawers had been placed on the floor the night before.

Of course with the Captain mentioning the fact we may not be able to dock for some time, maybe even the next day that was very sweet music to my ears, (selfish l know) As it happened we did dock as you say in the late afternoon, But can you imagine organizing lunch for the passengers at short notice!

After lunch our little group made our way to the lido where they were serving a mini afternoon tea, it seemed the ideal chance to have an impromptu party. Im sure we were only getting off well  after 4 pm

A friend was sailing on QE2 that same night, they were bused to some local hotels and didn't board till late in the evening, and had the storm following them. I'm not sure if the service shoreside was as good as perhaps it should have been... 
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2018, 09:45 AM by Lynda Bradford »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:40 PM »
Great stories!  Interesting to note that the railing in Myles' last photo is NOT varnished.  I recall on my first trip in 2002, the railings were left natural, including the teak deck chairs, but by 2008, everything had been varnished.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:04 PM »
And the ashtrays were still in situ!

l hasten to add all the usual precautions of the bedside drawers had been placed on the floor the night before.
Myles, did your drawers spend the night on the floor, Every Night?

« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2010, 11:07 PM by Twynkle »
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 11:16 PM »
Myles, did your drawers spend the night on the floor, Every Night?

Only when it was very rough!!! And l should have said the items ontop of my bedside drawers were on the floor..But lm sure you know l ment that ;)

Offline pete cain

« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Dear CunardQueen just looked at your reply #1 'those blue cups ' such memories  I recon they're going to be collectors pieces  ; was up hours before the rest of the ship was alive , went down the Pavillion , had a fruitjuice, a bowl of Cornflakes & took myself along the boatdeck to 'that bit under the bridge'  spilling my tea out of said blue cup en-route & enjoyed the sail in,       shoul'dve bagged myself one, Doh!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:06 PM »
The odd time l was up early enough, and feeling the need to confess on here.. l used to slip down quielty to the Pavillion (oh it was so quiet) enjoy a small selection of pastries with the Orange Juice (was it tinned??) and secure myself a blue plastic mug of tea. Much to my horror l found my self tramping round the ship at some ungodly hour and before l knew where l was, my cabin door was in front of me, so l did what any decent person would do....hide the mug, shower, change and go for posh breakfast in the Mauretania
 On a later med cruise we formed the " 6am champagne jacuzzi club" and a few of us idiots would trip outside into the jacuzzi crack open the champagne and use the blue mugs, or the plastic glasses.. the posh breakfast that day was always a riot, and one of the rare times l used these things, well l didnt want to expose my body when everyone was sunbathing, l do have some modesty :-[

Whatever next.. "Memories of the Blue mug brigade"

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:46 PM »
I love those blue mugs.

Oct. 2008.... I thought "Oh what the heck..."    so I have a couple of them with me now. ;)

They're perfect for camping.  ;D

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:59 PM »
An Ugly Blue Mug would be the one thing that I would give a million dollars for - well almost!
They have really horrid white plain mugs on another ship (Shh - qV)
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Stowaway2k

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:04 PM »
An Ugly Blue Mug would be the one thing that I would give a million dollars for - well almost!

Sold!  :D

I take paypal.    ;)

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Oh! Kyle
What can I say...

Your offer would be a sacrifice beyond all measure -
How do you think I could take it from you?

Then - It would feel like robbing QE2 herself!

The trouble is - that an Ugly Blue Mug without QE2 wouldn't really be quite the same - would it?
So you'd better hang onto it - in the knowledge that you must be one in a million!
Rosie

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2010, 12:49 AM by Twynkle »

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2016, 02:02 PM »
as if we didnt need reminding...

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #12 on: Jul 07, 2018, 05:13 PM »
We were on the voyage ("Iberian Shores") immediately after this and experienced a stormy Atlantic and Bay of Biscay (Force 9 gusting Force 10) down to our first port of call in Vigo, Spain. We arrived in Southampton on time after driving down from Oxfordshire (where we lived at the time) to find QEII terminal minus QE2 and some confusion amongst passengers and terminal staff. We were then told to wait at Mayflower terminal before we all went back to QEII terminal as QE2 did dock there as normal after all! I have described the details and posted my Dad's photos of the storm in my topic for this cruise also in this "Passenger & Enthusiast Memories" section of the forum. I seem to recall Captain Ian McNaught took over from Captain Nick Bates. We sped down to Vigo at around 29 knots to make up for the 6/7 hour delayed departure from Southampton (we left late at night) and arrived on time! Those were the days when making up that much time was possible! We had an overnight call in Malaga, Spain on this voyage (just rediscovered!) leaving around midday the day after arriving.

Myles, we had cabin 3005 on our last voyage in July 2008...almost directly opposite (on the other side of the ship) to 3006! I remember the sheer present in the forward cabins...I must get around to editing (with permission) my Dad's short video of 3005, where he panned across the main part of the cabin.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2018, 05:16 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Offline cunardqueen

« Reply #13 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:35 PM »
Thomas I was on the Cradle of Civilisation  Cruise  and remember as we hung around the North Coast off France for a time until things settled down so we could dock. We were told there was a window of opportunity and we were going for it with the hope we wouldnt be to late arriving in Southampton .
I do remember the storm as we sailed up the cost of Portugal and through The Bay..passing QM2 enroute 
It really didnt look rough when you see the photos.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2018, 05:30 PM »
Thomas I was on the Cradle of Civilisation  Cruise  and remember as we hung around the North Coast off France for a time until things settled down so we could dock. We were told there was a window of opportunity and we were going for it with the hope we wouldnt be to late arriving in Southampton .
I do remember the storm as we sailed up the cost of Portugal and through The Bay..passing QM2 enroute 
It really didnt look rough when you see the photos.

A treat to see another ocean liner nearby in rough weather. Yes, my Dad's photos (that I've posted in the topic I made for the voyage my parents and I were on) don't really show how rough it was either, although the car carrier in my Dad's photos was not having the best time! I suppose it's like the tendering operations, it looks calm or relatively calm from high up onboard the ship but when you get to the tender it's shifting about like a crazy thing and one quickly starts to regret the English Breakfast eaten minutes earlier (as I did in Monte Carlo/Monaco on one occasion and probably at other times)!
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!