Author Topic: Simon Gillan  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Rod

Simon Gillan
« on: Nov 13, 2018, 02:46 PM »
Sorry to have to tell you but Simon Gillan, former Chief Engineer recently passed away. I do not have any details.

Online Lynda Bradford

Re: Simon Gillan
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2018, 04:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about his passing. Thanks for posting to let us know, Rod. 

I do not have any information on his profile please let me know if you see an obitutary and I will add information if appropriate.   
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rod

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Will do Linda

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about Simon's passing.
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline John Grace

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:51 PM »
It is sad to hear of the passing of Simon.... I got to know him when I was the Technical Manager for the construction of the Queen Mary 2 in St. Nazaire, he was appointed as it's first Chief Engineer. I believe it was a big disappointment to him when for medical reasons he didn't take her to sea, he was replaced as the sailing Chief Engineer before delivery. Simon attended factory acceptance tests and became the voice for Cunard on the technical side of things, his superior technical knowledge was a great asset to the construction.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:57 PM »
Sad news, i knew Simon from QE2 and he was a very professional, approachable and understanding Ch Engineer. It was disappointing when he was declared Medically Unfit to take QM2 to sea, but he was still able to contribute his vast knowledge and experience to the project and handed her over to an equally competent and professional Ch Eng, Brian Whatling.