Author Topic: QE2'S Final New York Call: Ten Years Ago Today  (Read 4471 times)

Offline Brandon Sterkel

Re: QE2'S Final New York Call: Ten Years Ago Today
« Reply #15 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:41 AM »
So fascinating to see everyone's stories and photos from this historic day.

Even though I did not see this event in person, I own a commemorative shirt from that day 10 years ago.

Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:24 PM »
Amazing photos, Michael. And that video, Thomas, is amazing!!! Cunardqueen -- guuurrrlll, represent! It has been really wonderful to share these memories with all of you.  If only we'd known each other then!

Those disembarking in New York also got a handsome folder for all the commemorative menus, attached below. And, I also received this commemorative Wedgwood plate during one of the last turn down services.
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2018, 06:05 PM by Scott Ebersold »

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #17 on: Oct 17, 2018, 02:52 PM »
Pleased to claim responsibility for the folder and the menus. I loved the old Cunard fleet poster and in 2007 for QE2's 40th wanted to somehow incorporate QE2 into it once and was delighted with what the designers came up with.

Then the strapline 'Taking her place in History' came about.

These folders were issued for the 40th anniversary cruise, the Farewell Round Britain, the two final Atlantics and the Final Voyage.

Budget restraints meant the final Atlantic menus had to be four-page rather than the eight pagers on the other three trips but I do think the Atlantic ones turned out quite smart and worthwhile doing.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #18 on: Oct 17, 2018, 03:31 PM »
The menu with folder and the plate are all a lovely memory of your farewell cruise Scott, and even more special that Michael was responsible for the design of the farewell cruises menus that detail a little of QE2's history. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Scott Ebersold

« Reply #19 on: Oct 17, 2018, 03:40 PM »
That's so cool Michael that you are the man behind the menus and the folder! The menus were one of the highlights and helped make the occasion feel even more significant.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2018, 04:00 PM »
My very first rough drafts of the menus

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #21 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:55 PM »
  Those disembarking in New York also got a handsome folder for all the commemorative menus, attached below. And, I also received this commemorative Wedgwood plate during one of the last turn down services.   

You want to have seen the menus and covers that were in rubbish bins on disembarkation day in Southampton and New York, tossed out with no thought. having had a set for each voyage l was on, the weight was heavier than you imagined.

On the Maiden Voyage in 1987 after the refit l kept everything that was given to the passengers, However only about two years ago l found on ebay a certificate issued to passengers on that sailing, something that was never in my cabin during the voyage , so lord knows where it ended up.
The menus were always nice to see , stood up on the tables as you went to dinner, now that was an impressive sight.

I was seated at The Chief Engineers table for both crossings, the last night l took the seat where the host would have sat, l had already pre ordered the wines for that night, we toasted Her Majesty The Queen and Then the Almighty QE2 , in tribute to dear Erma Klindt who sat at out table on the out bound crossing, she has us chinking glasses in turn, and just when you chinked the last glass , she said "and once again with feeling", and round we went again. it was customary to then do that each night, the last night was especially sad and l really struggled with the great sadness of it all . Mercifully we were all QE2 fanatics
 I tried the chinking glasses with feeling in Vegas with friends at  a meal one night, they thought l was mad.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2018, 08:59 PM »
  Budget restraints meant the final Atlantic menus had to be four-page rather than the eight pagers on the other three trips but I do think the Atlantic ones turned out quite smart and worthwhile doing.   

Guess the bean counters were delighted with this menu version.... ;) ;) ;) ;)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #23 on: Oct 18, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Our QE2 - simply The Best !
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2021, 10:55 AM »
In October 2018 Michael Gallagher started this topic to commemorate ten years since QE2's final call to New York.  What a joy to see the photos he posted and I find myself going back to this topic every October since then to remember this memorable occasion. 

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=8732.msg100610#msg100610

I have also thoroughly enjoyed the posts by forum members like Cunardqueen and Scott Ebersold with memories of this last transatlantic cruise. 

Have a read from the beginning of the topic you won't be disappointed.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2021, 04:55 PM »
13 years ago! It feels like a lifetime ago in many ways, given how much water has gone under the bridge since.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2021, 02:06 AM »
13 years ago! It feels like a lifetime ago in many ways,   

It was a life time ago, and lm reminded harshly at times ,l was speaking to guests only last week who were up from Southampton , l bought the conversation round to ships and that l had sailed from Southampton many times on the worlds best loved and most famous ocean going liner, l got a blank look, and l said you must know what ship l mean, l asked their ages, they were 24 , so l said QE2 , you must know that ship , further blank looks, they one guy said he did vaguely know the name . The service was quick, l really didn't need so much negativity, But there are folk out there now who dont know what a QE2 is ..and l find that kinda hard to accept .   

QE2s Captain Chair for sale...

Started by cunardqueenBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 1
Views: 1471
Last post Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 PM
by Pete Hamill
Were QE2s propellers the most powerful in the world?

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard Technical Matters

Replies: 8
Views: 2722
Last post Oct 13, 2018, 10:57 AM
by Rob Lightbody