Author Topic: 3 Queens in the Solent, with the Red Arrows - 10th August 2018, 7:30pm  (Read 442 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Chris Hodges

Hope the weather clears up....it’s pretty dire at the moment !!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
The weather here in Bournemouth, just along the coast, is overcast and rainy but watching a Facebook friend's livestream earlier today showed Southampton to be clear of the overcast and rainy weather with Sun and mostly clear skies. Maybe we've sent this weather their way (hopefully not).
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Andy Holloway

Now there will be a dilemma for some passengers on first sitting,;
"Do i go to dinner and miss the Red Arrows - ALWAYS a fantastic display - or do i skip dinner and watch the Red Arrows, thereby missing the chance to 'impress' the rest of my table with my vast nautical knowledge and the number of days i've done/cruises i've been on, only to be usurped by some smart a*s whose done a million days and 4000 cruise!

The first option is probably 'needed' as i won't have eaten since teatime and i've no idea when, or if, i'll ever eat again in the next 14 days onboard!!!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Now there will be a dilemma for some passengers on first sitting,;
"Do i go to dinner and miss the Red Arrows - ALWAYS a fantastic display - or do i skip dinner and watch the Red Arrows, thereby missing the chance to 'impress' the rest of my table with my vast nautical knowledge and the number of days i've done/cruises i've been on, only to be usurped by some smart a*s whose done a million days and 4000 cruise!

The first option is probably 'needed' as i won't have eaten since teatime and i've no idea when, or if, i'll ever eat again in the next 14 days onboard!!!

Starving on a cruise  ::) . Mind you with the lack of food in Kings Court late at night, as Rob found out, the chance is there haha.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 11:00 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Why did this happen? Was there a special occasion to celebrate?

I'd love to see the Red Arrows some day...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Why did this happen? Was there a special occasion to celebrate?

I'd love to see the Red Arrows some day...

I'm guessing the Red Arrows were there because Cunard paid for them to be there.  I think they'd tweaked timetables to get all 3 ships together for Cowes Week - seems to have worked.

www.lendycowesweek.co.uk
« Last Edit: Aug 11, 2018, 02:26 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Michael Gallagher

The Red Arrows were nothing to do with Cunard - they would have been there anyway as they normally are at the end of Cowes week. Cunard took advantage of a very lucky coincidence! The only tweaking they had to do was delay departure times.

The Cunard fleet is back in Southampton on 11 August 2019 which is at the start of Cowes Week - wonder what Cunard will do then as the Red Arrows are not scheduled to fly at Cowes until 16 August?

Thank you for the information, Michael!

I looked up "Cowes Week" and found it to be a regatta event :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowes_Week

Looks like a lot of things to watch (and / or participate in!) within the space of just a few days.

Online cunardqueen

The Red Arrows were nothing to do with Cunard - 

Mybe its me BUT i cant help but wonder if you had still been working for Cunard there would have been a lot more fuss and a lot more buzz about the whole event..and in general a lot more pazazz. Maybe a loop the loop in the shape of a heart or spelling CUNARD with the plumes ...... Somehow l just dont think you would settle for a fly past... :)

I must confess there was a nice large photo in one of the Sunday papers of the fly over. I have no idea what ship it was, and please dont think that this is an expression of interest in the present fleet...Its NOT !

The Cunard fleet is back in Southampton on 11 August 2019 which is at the start of Cowes Week - wonder what Cunard will do then as the Red Arrows are not scheduled to fly at Cowes until 16 August?   

.......nothing...... ::)  Heck if they miss a golden chance with meeting of Queen Elizabeth and HMS Queen Elizabeth then l fear there is little hope.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

This looks like a Cunard press release on the event :

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/19479-cunard-queens-meet-red-arrows.html

The sendoff marks the first time in Cunard's history that guests had the opportunity to see the Red Arrows flying display while onboard, Cunard said, in a statement.

Really? Their memories must be shorter than mine...

The Royal Air Force Aerobic Team

Who proofread this one  ;)  ?

On looking at the Cunard press release page, I discovered... nothing about this event :

https://www.cunard.co.uk/cunard-experience/media-centre/press-releases/

So was it or was it not a Cunard press release? And if not, why not? We may never know...

Online Alex Tarry

I am sure I am not alone on here in having wonderful memories of watching the Red Arrows (not doing aerobics) from the QE2 on the occasion of it being exactly 40 years since her launch, whilst in the Clyde in 2007?

One thing you have to give Cunard is they can bring an anniversary or special occasion out of a hat for almost any given moment...makes it all special, for sure...