Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth Round Britain Cruise Q821 July 2018  (Read 2355 times)

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
Re: Queen Elizabeth Round Britain Cruise Q821 July 2018
« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Thank you, Lynda, very much for the great descriptions of your Greenock and Belfast calls.  It must be quite interesting to get off your ship in an area that you know and observe tourists' reactions.

Great photo of Waverley !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #21 on: Aug 17, 2018, 10:47 AM »
Liverpool

Liverpool is a favourite port of call on the round Britain cruise. The growth of Liverpool docks contributed to the city’s economy in the 19th and early to mid 20th century but with the success of container ships the Liverpool docks went into decline.  However is it is significant that cruise ships bring people to the city and the Albert Dock, is now a popular tourist attraction with museums, pubs and restaurants.

I like Liverpool, a vibrant city which in my opinion has a similar atmosphere to Glasgow and New York, another two of of my favourite cities.  I have always found the people very down to earth and friendly.

A big plus is the fact that the ship terminal is close to the Cunard Building, the museum of Liverpool and within a short walking distance to Albert Dock and the town centre. 

Passengers were invited to a ceremony at the Saint Nicholas Church, to celebrate 80 years since the launch of the second Mauretania (1938) at Cammell Laird shipyard, Birkenhead. We were pleased to get tickets to attend the ceremony, which was a good mix of telling the ship’s history along with the religious part of the ceremony of hymns, prayers and a reading by Captain Hashmi.  The choir has to be given a special mention - they were excellent.

After the service we walked to Exchange Square where we enjoyed a coffee and took time to relax in the sunshine. 

I was a Beatles fan when I was a teenager, so a visit the Cavern Club is always on the agenda when visiting Liverpool. On previous cruises we experienced the Magical Mystery Tour where you are taken on a tour of Liverpool, to the Beatles Museum, the Cavern, and to the houses where the Beatles lived. A fantastic tour, especially as Beatles music is played. 

I like the shopping area, which is within a short walk from where the ship is docked and even although it was a Monday the area was busy with shoppers.

I had wanted to visit the Terracotta Army exhibition but had been too late to get tickets as there were time slots for tickets and the only one available was 16.00, which was too late. 

At the sailaway there was entertainment, including an opera singer, which attracted a crowd on shore as well as the passengers watching from on deck and on their balconies. It was not as big an onshore crowd as when the ship leaves later in the evening when there is sometimes a fireworks display, but they certainly added to the atmosphere.   

We were early sitting for dinner and as the sail away was around 18.00 it was a bit of a juggle getting hair and make up down and taking time to enjoy listening to the entertainment.   

Later in the evening The Barricade Boys were the entrainment in the Theatre.  As the name would suggest they had all starred in Les Miserables, but in addition to featuring songs from this show, they included music from Jersey Boys, Beatles songs and other big hits, much to the delight of the passengers, who gave them a standing ovation.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2018, 10:51 AM by Lynda Bradford »
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #22 on: Aug 19, 2018, 03:15 AM »
Very good photo, Lynda, and great commentary ! Liverpool sounds to be an exciting city to visit, and if one has not been there before, one could spend a great deal of time just to get acquainted !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !