Author Topic: Re-engining QM2  (Read 1932 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Re: Re-engining QM2
« Reply #20 on: Jan 21, 2021, 04:01 PM »
I did hear, on the grapevine as it were, that there were thoughts about removing the turbines and putting suites in their place... making the turbines more efficient would be infinitely preferable - I love that she's so powerful.

Nothing would surprise me...

Likewise making the gas turbines viable again fuel cost wise or switching them out with newer, more efficient but equivalent power gas turbines (don't want to fry her switchboards  ;D or require costly and potentially tricky to carry out modifications to her electrical setup) would be far more preferable in my opinion. It would be a great shame if she lost her ability to cross in 6 nights as originally designed with their removal, and was neutered speed wise generally speaking.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline andyh

Re: Re-engining QM2
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2021, 12:46 PM »
One would assume now would be the ideal time to carry out any modifications, but it is unlikely Cunard would have or be able to find or spend the resources in the current climate to carry out the mods.
If they could we could see it as further future proofing her