Author Topic: (French?) QE2 documentary from 1998 - by Night & Day Production Audiovisuelle  (Read 657 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
Hi everyone,

Not sure if this documentary has been mentioned/posted before...I came across it on YouTube a while ago and have just watched bits of it again. John Burton-Hall and John Duffy feature among others - along with excellent footage of QE2 arriving into Southampton at dawn, at sea, arriving into New York with the Twin Towers very visible, and leaving Manhattan filmed from New Jersey. One can see the Midnight Blue hull colour up close (definitely a lighter blue than the current Royal Blue in Dubai) and there's plenty of behind the scenes footage (on the bridge etc). Plenty of familiar areas onboard for me despite the imminent 1999 refit and brings back happy memories of being onboard in her sailing days! The documentary states that QE2 is the last transatlantic liner and when she stops sailing the North Atlantic it will be an end of an era...little knowing that plans/ideas for what became QM2 were starting at the time (1998).

Michael - I was wondering if the frames of the bridge windows were painted black from what looks like a metallic chrome type colour during the 1999 refit? I think the repainting to black complemented her overall exterior appearance.

VIDEO LINK :-

SCREENSHOTS BELOW
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2020, 01:36 PM by Rob Lightbody »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: (French?) QE2 documentary from 1998
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2018, 12:14 PM »
Well, the production appears to be French, while the spoken word is all English.

I have not so far been able to find out more about the company Stop Over...

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2018, 01:52 PM »
Well, the production appears to be French, while the spoken word is all English.

I have not so far been able to find out more about the company Stop Over...

I don't think "Stop Over" are the original producers of this documentary, but are instead a company licensed to upload and therefore broadcast the documentary on YouTube. I have noticed several such companies on YouTube in recent years...perhaps to try and mitigate the 1000s of channels that upload documentaries (albeit often in poor quality) illegally. In fact now looking at the expanded description of the uploaded documentary states that it was produced by "NIGHT & DAY" which appears to be a French company.

Some of the footage in this documentary was filmed at least a couple of years before 1998, as it shows QE2 from a small boat after her late 1994 "Project Lifestyle" refit but before her 1996 refit (and final refit) in the KGV drydock in Southampton by A&P due to the gold pinstripe being visible and the Cunard lion on either side of her forward superstructure. The gold pinstripe looks fresh/clean and not "rusty" suggesting this bit of footage was filmed soon after the "Project Lifestyle" refit - maybe early 1995 for publicity?

Interesting to note how late on her rebuilt funnel kept its "rigging". I quite like the 90s electronic music haha! Bill Miller also appears at the end!
« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2018, 02:52 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20, 2018, 04:50 PM »
This is great, Thomas.  Thanks for sharing. I haven't yet finished watching it, but its been fun so far.  That is how she looked when I first was onboard.

Something I don't think much about when looking at a photo is that there is some sort of curation -- its the photographer's perspective, what they've chosen to capture. With video, that curatorial perspective is so much more present, especially with the distance of time.

trevorc

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20, 2018, 06:08 PM »
In the library there is a VHS tape of Keeping Up Appearances. Sea Fever!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2018, 03:31 AM »
In the library there is a VHS tape of Keeping Up Appearances. Sea Fever!

That's in the bookshop opposite...VHS :o that takes me back an ever increasing number of years - my Dad still has our VHS recorder and it still works for the VHS collection we have (which includes "QE2 - The Last Great Liner"). QE2 had quite a few documentaries made on her in the 90s it seems, perhaps not surprising if the consensus at the time was that it would be her last decade and/or Cunard was on its last legs (prior to 1998 or so and Carnival), not to mention the consensus at the time that she would be the last transatlantic liner. I wonder how many people, at the time, thought she'd last until 2008 in service and then not be scrapped?

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Just a note - there is also an earlier 1993 (© 1992) Belgian QE2 documentary "Transatlantique" discussed here.
« Last Edit: Dec 23, 2019, 09:02 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Michael Gallagher

Thomas

The bridge window frmes were redone black in the 1996 refit.

Michael

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
Thomas

The bridge window frmes were redone black in the 1996 refit.

Michael

Thank you Michael. Great bow three quarter shots for seeing the other livery tweaks done in the 1996 refit! The pre-1996 refit photo appears to be after the September 1995 freak wave due to the bent railings and damaged foredeck foghorn. It seems the photo was taken on her 1996 world cruise as the tugs look Australian perhaps? It's surprising how many months she went in service without the damaged foredeck being repaired (although knowing QE2, the foredeck still would've been strong despite the damage).
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018, 12:20 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
I think I have established when this documentary was filmed onboard - during the 10th to the 16th September 1997 Eastbound transatlantic. The evidence for this can be seen at 27 minutes and 21 seconds when the renewal of vows takes place in the Grand Lounge and the French couple's certificate is shown fully and the date is the 14th September. Sam Warwick's excellent QE2 website with itinerary gave me the rest of the dates.

https://www.qe2.org.uk/itinerary_1997.html

Towards the end of the documentary, when QE2 enters New York and passes the lower end of Manhattan it occurred to me that it was almost exactly 4 years prior to 9/11 which is a sobering thought.

It is also a coincidence that 15 years ago today (Sunday 17th August 2003) was when my parents and I did the same on QE2 (entering New York harbour and docking in Manhattan - the best place to dock in New York) at the end of our first voyage onboard. I didn't realise this until just now whilst re-watching the documentary - these coincidences often happen for some reason!

A photo my Mum took of me and my Dad under QE2's bow in Manhattan after disembarking earlier that day and shortly before she returned to Southampton.

Mum's digital photos from August 2003 QE2 trip by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
It is interesting to note that QE2 still had the foghorn with the round bell in this documentary, instead of the one with the rectangular bell she had in the end and still has in Dubai. I had presumed that the round bell foghorn had been damaged beyond repair by the rogue wave of September 1995 but this doesn't seem to have been the case. Does anyone know anymore details on this, plus when and why the round bell foghorn was replaced with the rectangular one?
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2018, 07:28 PM by Thomas Hypher »