Author Topic: QM and QE at Cowes  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Trevor Harris

QM and QE at Cowes
« on: Jul 20, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Stumbled upon this! Thought you all may enjoy!

And the two are shown at Southampton!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Trevor Harris

Re: QM and QE at Cowes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2018, 04:06 PM »
My goodness Canberra as well!
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 20, 2018, 10:21 PM »
...and a Mk 1 SRN-4 on test in Seaspeed colours! 8) :D

The submarine, incidentally... the number 589 shows it to be USS Scorpion.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2018, 03:34 AM »
The submarine, incidentally... the number 589 shows it to be USS Scorpion.

That's a Royal Navy diesel submarine unusually wearing her pennant number. Her crew are not worried about exhaust emissions haha! The Royal Navy submarine pennant system is confusing as it changed from P followed by numbers, to S followed by numbers in the years just after WW2 as far as I've seen...in this case being S89 or S69 by the looks of it. I haven't yet identified the particular submarine but she's of the appearance of most of our WW2 era submarines - which we had many of!

I spy HMY Britannia, SS Rotterdam, RMS Mauretania (II), HMS Victory, and what looks like a then young HMS Bristol (a unique ship, Falklands War Veteran, and still in commission as a training ship - in Portsmouth Harbour) too. The Red Arrows or preceeding Yellow Jacks also put on a display that would horrify most people today! I like the visiting, foreign sailing ships too. Excellent find Trevor...a nautical bonanza!  ;D

YouTube had this British Pathé video including excellent footage of HMY Britannia and a bit of footage of what looks like a WW2 vintage French or Italian cruiser in the next/suggested/recommended video section:

« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2018, 04:16 AM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2018, 10:25 AM »
Ah, if it's S89 then that would be HMS Seraph.
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"