Author Topic: The (Warwick) Crest  (Read 13102 times)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
The (Warwick) Crest
« on: Nov 21, 2017, 09:52 AM »
This is interesting - the height of grandeur!
Have you managed to keep a little one?!
Then - I think there maybe /have been one with the ship's name above the 'shelter' on the Sun Deck, just aft of the Bar.. Is this the sort of Lion 'placement' he meant?
Also, one on the plaque that was (unofficially?) called the Warwick Crest under the railing of the Bit Beneath the Bridge - was this also an idea  by James Gardner?
Trying hard now to think of other public places on board where lions rampant were stationed!
Was there one on the bridge? Captains quarters?

Warwick's crest came from his time on Cunard Countess or Cunard Princess and isn't directly related to QE2 as a result if I remember correctly. It arrived in the mid 1990s when the sister/near sister of the two he was captain of was sold out of Cunard.

My photos and memory do not show any Cunard lion symbols on the Bridge and I don't think there ever were.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Michael Gallagher

Re: The (Warwick) Crest
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:51 AM »
There are two crests in existence; one each from the Cunard Countess and Cunard Princess. Captain Ron Warwick had them removed from those ships before they were sold (Cunard Princess in 1995 and Cunard Countess in 1996). The crests were then put on QE2 for storage.

Both crests are 35 inches in diameter and made of solid brass.

FIRST MOUNTING – 1995

The one from Cunard Princess was mounted on the front superstructure of QE2 under the Bridge on 1 September 1995.

It was removed during the 1999 refit as the then new Cunard management (Pam Conover) did not feel it was the correct logo to have on display. It was then re-stored on QE2 in the bosun’s store.

SECOND MOUNTING – 2005

During the Cunard integration in Princess Cruises, Commodore Warwick sought permission to have the crests remounted on QE2 and QM2. Permission was granted.

QE2   Crest mounted in Lyttleton (New Zealand) on Friday 4 February 2005 in time for QE2’s arrival in Sydney on 8 February.

QM2   Crest mounted in St Kitts (Caribbean) on Wednesday 16 February 2005.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2017, 11:55 AM »
But thinking about it further I think these crests came from the Saxonia Quartet as they seem to be the only Cunarders (to my knowledge) to feature a bow plate. This is a common thing for P&O ships to feature (and they still do) but I haven't seen any other Cunarders feature one apart from the Saxonia Quartet.

I suspect the ones from Carmania and Franconia (seen below) were removed after their sale in the early 1970s and that's how they ended up on Cunard Countess and Cunard Conquest / Princess even though they were not placed on their bows. Just my thought!
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017, 01:46 PM by Michael Gallagher »

Offline Rod

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2017, 12:44 PM »
But thinking about it further I think these crests came from the Saxonia Quartet as they seem to be the only Cunarders (to my knowledge) to feature a bow plate. This is a common thing for P&O ships to feature (and they still do) but I have seen any other Cunarders feature one apart from the Saxonia Quartet.

I suspect the ones from Carmania and Franconia (seen below) were removed after their sale in the early 1970s and that's how they ended up on Cunard Countess and Cunard Conquest / Princess even though they were not placed on their bows. Just my thought!

Thats how I remember the Franc!

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2017, 03:19 PM »
This is becoming even more interesting!
(Sorry - and Thank You, Michael!)
Do  think there was ever a thought that the crest on board QE2 would be placed on her own bow,
similarly as on the hull bit of the two Saxonia sister ships?

It's interesting that it made of brass - paint on brass, how does the colour stay on?
And - back to the small rampant Lions - do you know if there are any left in existence

From little acorns.... Sssh - these, cast in brass (and a replica of QE2's Great Black Anchor) could become No1 Sellers in the Maritime Collection Trade, Black Friday 2018!
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017, 03:40 PM by Twynkle »

Offline Pete Hamill

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2017, 10:50 PM »
Twynkle, when painting brass components on any of the models I build, an etch primer is used. Being slightly acidic, it bonds extremely well to the brass forming a good base for the coloured top coat. I would guess this item would have been treated similarly.

Or . . . .  every night during the hours of darkness the deck department would re-paint it  ;)

Offline pete cain

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2017, 04:04 PM »
 Slightly off topic here, I was told by a foreman welder (retired)  who worked on SS Oriana,  she had Aluminium superstructure & one day some of the
 prom deck, deckheads had been painted,   next morning , it had all dropped off intact rather like a roll of wallpaper, it hadn't been etch primed , they soon learned about it I guess.

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2018, 03:22 PM »
A clearer view of the crest on the bow of Franconia - perhaps it is this one on QE2's forward superstructure?

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #8 on: Jul 18, 2018, 03:36 PM »
I noticed in the video I posted yesterday of the Cunard Princess the crest was clearly visible on her bow.  Lower than where it was placed on the Franconia but definitely there.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #9 on: Jul 18, 2018, 06:29 PM »
A clearer view of the crest on the bow of Franconia - perhaps it is this one on QE2's forward superstructure?
I'd say.. QM2's is a bit darker in gold color..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Trevor Harris

Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:09 PM »
A little bit closer. (QE2, Final Westbound Transatlantic, October 9, 2008)

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #12 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:16 PM »
Wow! How did you capture those Scott?  :o :)

Here's one of my poor photos of QM2's crest close up - taken at risk of my iPod Touch back in 2011 blowing away or falling out of my hands and down the forward superstructure as it didn't have a strap like a camera might:

QM2 Northern Europe, August 2011 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

And my only photo featuring QE2's crest close up for comparison with above (can never get tired of that sleek ocean liner prow!):

QE2 Mediterranean cruise, July 2008 (my last trip on QE2) by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2018, 08:18 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Scott Ebersold

« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Ha! If you look closely at one of them you can see the shadow of my arm and my precariously positioned iPhone, of which I was certain I was going to lose!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Ha! If you look closely at one of them you can see the shadow of my arm and my precariously positioned iPhone, of which I was certain I was going to lose!

Ah I see now! Good resolution photos for a first or second generation iPhone! We were both lucky not to drop our devices haha.