Author Topic: The Secret Bottle opener  (Read 595 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
The Secret Bottle opener
« on: Jul 08, 2018, 07:33 PM »
DO NOT GIVE AWAY THE LOCATION JUST BECAUSE YOU KNOW THE ANSWER - ALLOW THOSE WHO DON'T KNOW TO DISCUSS!

On this recent trip on QM2, we discovered where the secret bottle opener is.  Every cabin has one and its built into the fixtures and fittings of the room.  I'd imagine this isn't QM2 specific so I'm curious to know if its maybe the same on all cruise ships?

Anyway - do you know where it is?  (yes or no - don't reveal the location!) - and is it the same on all cruise ships?
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Barumfox

Re: The Secret Bottle opener
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2018, 09:01 PM »
Rob

Yes - not found it myself but have been told where it is on good authority by a more frequent passenger.

Always have my own anyway!

Gary

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2018, 09:08 PM »
I am pretty sure I know too...if I am right, quite an unexpected location...

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2018, 10:07 PM »
No. What does it open? A crown bottle cap?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2018, 10:23 PM »
Never even heard of it until right now!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Never even heard of it until right now!

Come to think of it... why would anyone even want a bottle opener in their cabin...? Maybe there is a good reason on QM2, so I shall wait for the answer :) .

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2018, 10:55 PM »
Come to think of it... why would anyone even want a bottle opener in their cabin...? Maybe there is a good reason on QM2, so I shall wait for the answer :) .

The extremely high price of drinks on board!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Jul 08, 2018, 11:05 PM »
The extremely high price of drinks on board!

So.... they're charging a high price for drinks, but then provide a means of allowing passengers to bring and open their own bottles of drink on board...?  Financially isn't that a bit not so much Cunard shooting themselves in the foot but machine gunning themselves all over...?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2018, 11:15 PM »
So.... they're charging a high price for drinks, but then provide a means of allowing passengers to bring and open their own bottles of drink on board...?  Financially isn't that a bit not so much Cunard shooting themselves in the foot but machine gunning themselves all over...?

The chap behind us in the queue for embarkation had a box of 12 bottles of wine that he was carrying on with him. They also now have a corkage charge in the restaurant.

If you like drinking when on holiday, as i do, a cunard trip is a very expensive option indeed now.

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2018, 11:16 PM »
I never touch alcohol at all.

From the sound of it... fortunately!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #10 on: Jul 09, 2018, 03:36 AM »
I seem to remember seeing the secret bottle opener on QM2 and maybe QE2, although we didn't realise it was a secret bottle opener...could've been useful on my last QM2 voyage to date in August 2014 (a month before my 18th) when my Dad and I got a bit "squiffy" from the complimentary bubbly (actually glorified sparkling wine) when departing Southampton...was like being in a Force 9 gusting Force 10 in the Bay of Biscay but during the reverse S  :P
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

QE2 in a bottle

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 0
Views: 772
Last post Oct 03, 2010, 11:26 PM
by Waverley
QE2, Alcohol and Collectors' Items - Miniatures, bottle-openers, corkscrews etc!

Started by TwynkleBoard The QE2 herself

Replies: 5
Views: 1433
Last post Aug 12, 2017, 09:17 AM
by Malcolm
'Secret' Document

Started by Michael GallagherBoard Relating to both QE & QM

Replies: 3
Views: 842
Last post Oct 11, 2018, 07:42 PM
by Rob Lightbody