Author Topic: Transatlantic Crossing  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
Transatlantic Crossing
« on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:26 PM »
Looking at my records and during my time with the QE2 i done 136 crossings.Of theses 64 Crossings were Eastbound and 72 was Westbound.One more count can be added when i done the crossing between New York and Hamburg in 1994 this led the ship into that famous well known refit.

Can other forum members tell how many they have done.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: Transatlantic Crossing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Looking at my records and during my time with the QE2 i done 136 crossings.Of theses 64 Crossings were Eastbound and 72 was Westbound.One more count can be added when i done the crossing between New York and Hamburg in 1994 this led the ship into that famous well known refit.

That is a lot of crossings, Louis! The one bound for Hamburg must have stood out for you, of course.

How about the others -- were they all pretty much the same, or did each differ from the others? Would you roughly know what to expect, or was there always something unexpected happening?

Offline Louis De Sousa

• QE2 Crew member
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 The Greatest Ship Ever
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2012, 06:53 PM »
They are all pretty much the same Isabelle its a working routine and you get it done of course for the crew the Westbound Crossing with the hour back meant for time for drinking and partying.

The Crossing to Hamburg was out of this normal routine but happy to have done it.But the Crossing that ill never forget was the one when we hitted Hurricane Luis a night that until today i say what if.........?

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #3 on: Sep 06, 2023, 06:12 PM »
Transatlantic D.I.Y....this fella tried to run from Miami to London in a giant hamster wheel contraption!
Made it as far as Tybee Island Georgia. Hope he gets a bill from the Coastguard....bloody idiot!

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2023, 11:22 AM »

Can other forum members tell how many they have done.

Louis started this interesting topic a while back -- I wonder did anyone else here keep track of their transatlantic crossings? And were they always between Southampton and New York?

My own contribution is small, easy and memorable : The Autumn Colours cruise, which could be said to be

one East-West, being Southampton to New York, and
one West-East, being Quebec to Southampton.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Sep 08, 2023, 08:39 PM »
   Louis started this interesting topic a while back -- I wonder did anyone else here keep track of their transatlantic crossings? And were they always between Southampton and New York? 
June 86 Round trip
April 87 Round trip The Maiden voyage of the NEW QE2
August 1991 Round trip with a 5 day canada cruise
October 2008 Farewell Round trip

The idea of flying out to join or flying home from QE2 was never an option.
An elderly lady l met onboard in 1991 was weighing her luggage each night depending what souvenirs she had bought  as she was flying home on Concorde  and didn't want any extra baggage.   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2023, 11:56 AM »

Post Twin Towers, QE2 moved her USA TransAtlantic port to Boston for a long time, Michael might be able to say exactly how many Trannies were S'ton to Boston and when QE2 moved back to NY.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2023, 07:44 PM by Isabelle Prondzynski »

Transatlantic Pipe Break Incident (21-22 May 2002 engine room flooding)

Started by highlander0108Board The 2000s

Replies: 39
Views: 10765
Last post Aug 10, 2017, 04:54 PM
by Twynkle
Peter Marlow - QE2 1996 Transatlantic Photos

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard The 1990s

Replies: 4
Views: 1549
Last post Nov 12, 2018, 08:20 PM
by June Ingram
Transatlantic in 7 days

Started by andyhBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 29
Views: 7536
Last post Mar 27, 2010, 08:18 PM
by Ocean Liner Fanatic
Last Transatlantic daily programme

Started by WaverleyBoard QE2's Final Season and Final Voyage (2007/2008)

Replies: 8
Views: 640
Last post Aug 11, 2021, 10:46 PM
by Waverley
Queen Mary's last transatlantic voyage and goodbye Southampton

Started by RMS Queen Elizabeth 2Board RMS Queen Mary (1936)

Replies: 2
Views: 3161
Last post Sep 04, 2010, 04:26 PM
by Stowaway2k