Author Topic: Robs review of M822 QM2 Fjords Cruise  (Read 1943 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Robs review of M822 QM2 Fjords Cruise
« Reply #20 on: Jun 29, 2018, 07:54 PM »
Heaven forbid that they might miss a meal by going up on deck to view one of the most spectacular sailings in Norway, in a fjord that few will EVER go back to in the rest of their lives!
It's called 'getting your priorities right'!

I'm still in the process of uploading my photos, but some of them will show you a *completely* deserted top deck of the ship, with stunning scenery behind...  we were gobsmacked, still are.
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #21 on: Jun 29, 2018, 11:12 PM »
"Stunning scenery" is an understatement!

Loved Flam, as well as Hellsyt & Geiranger, plus a few of the smaller fjords that Vistafjord used to visit, must look at old phots and remember the names.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #22 on: Jun 30, 2018, 07:52 PM »
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Rod

« Reply #23 on: Jun 30, 2018, 08:22 PM »
This is not in anyway to try and take something away from Robs beautiful pics. But I swear if you took a pic of a rubber ducky on a fjiord it would be good.
I have one of the QE2 Tony Sekker took it I didn't, which sadly has been damaged by the sun, where the pic could be held either right side up or upside down and you couldnt tell which was right.
Beautiful pics Rob. Thank you.

Offline Rod

« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2018, 08:24 PM »
Does the "sport" of painting the ships name on the rocks, as high up the cliff as you could get...still being done?

Offline Rod

« Reply #25 on: Jun 30, 2018, 08:32 PM »
"You might say that but i couldn't possibly comment!"

It has to be born in mind that in these early days of Carnival UK, P&O post Peter Ratcliffe, there was almost an out and out dislike for Cunard by P&O, i'm not sure it's disappeared today to be honest.

Andy, in all my career in Cunard, I was always aware of an intense dislike of Cunard by P & O not only from an upper level but the sea going employees as well. One Engineer, from P & O that came over to the "Dark Side" said he was aware of it didn't agree with it and would not take part in it. He came to Cunard for the better money, better leave rotations, better living accom etc .
The banner on Canberra when it came back from the South Atlantic (Canberra cruises where QE2 refuses) kind of highlights this. The banner was made by Canberra crew and given to members of 45 CDO to use.

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #26 on: Jun 30, 2018, 11:38 PM »
Does the "sport" of painting the ships name on the rocks, as high up the cliff as you could get...still being done?

Fortunately and hopefully NOT ANY MORE. It's not allowed on harbour walls in most ports and 'natural' features should be treated likewise.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #27 on: Jul 08, 2018, 12:55 PM »
Just got the survey for the cruise...

From the questions, its clear they're about to add branded coffee to buy on board... which I think is a mistake, and is another step towards making the whole thing less special.  I can get a Costa coffee every day in my canteen at work... there's nothing special about it.

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #28 on: Jul 08, 2018, 05:32 PM »
I recall someone from Cunard saying that "dual branding" was a strategy on QM2 from launch, hence the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Bar, Canyon Ranch Spa, Todd English Restaurant etc...I think they saw it as an opportunity to bring in new audiences, familiar with those brands.  However I'd say it would be best to have confidence in your own brand, who's to say that "Cunard Coffee" isn't, or couldn't be the best...that's the way I'd go...

Offline Barumfox

« Reply #29 on: Jul 08, 2018, 05:51 PM »
Thanks for the review Rob - both of remastered QM2 and the fjords - doing my first fjords trip in October - but on a 2000 GRT ship with 150 passengers , which is older than QE2 (MS Lofoten) so fjords should seem even more impressive.

I am not sure when I will sample QM2 again either - my last trip was the 175 Anniversary crossing you were on as well in 2015 - I did not have too many issues with the service and had a good table on second siting in Britannia some of whom I am still in contact with. i found that appearing for Afternoon Tea about 45 mins in meant that there were some vacant tables - usually on starboard side - a couple of times walked straight in from afternoon lecture.

I agree the Atlantic Room is under-utilised - could be used to provide refreshments on entering / leaving ports for the Observation Deck 11 forward -  and G32 could be improved / moved - having access only via Queens Room has never been a good idea. As for the tennis court it always has been a joke / token effort not fit for purpose - worse that the exposed courts on the Vista sisters - QE2 had the best Cunard one although most P&O ships have better ones.

Speaking of which I feel the rivalry/dislike between the two Lines cuts both ways -  the Cunard captain comment above shows this - and no doubt goes back a long way from shared home ports - even though their liner operations were not in direct competition, which did not happen until both forced to turn to cruising prior to being bought by Carnival. Cunard had the larger ships and most glamorous route but P&O the larger fleets and is the senior company by age. There were also rivalries with other now defunct British Lines - Union Castle for example in addition to the foreign competition on the North Atlantic - it is just human nature.

I look forward to seeing more of your excellent photos of QM2 - she does at least still look the part!

Gary.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #30 on: Jul 15, 2018, 01:45 PM »
Hi,

I'm still uploading and cataloguing photos when I get time, think it will go on for another week or so!  Sorry to go on about it, but I don't go on Cunard trips very often, and won't ever do this again.

There are now 105 photos in my Flickr album.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightbody/albums/72157696736698271

- Rob

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #31 on: Jul 15, 2018, 03:44 PM »
Rob,

Fantastic photos, so lovely to enjoy the Norwegian scenery again.

Bergen never changes though - it's always been wet and dull when i've been there, about 8/10 times!

Still loved the 'old town' area though.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #32 on: Jul 22, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Just found this photo (attached) while uploading my photos to Flickr.

Its of a rather miserable cake selection in the Kings Court at around afternoon tea time - there was virtually nothing left, and nothing that I wanted.

In the large trolley, meanwhile, enclosed behind cling film, are lots of lovely looking cakes, exactly what I was looking for.

This happened lots of times in the Kings Court, and increased the frustration level - either seeing something nice and it disappearing before you could get it, or seeing something nice and being unable to get it at all.

Yes its #firstworldproblems I know, but we're on board an expensive luxury cruise here...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #33 on: Jul 22, 2018, 12:31 PM »
And here's my next rant - (found while uploading some lovely photos of Stavanger I might add)

We treated ourselves to a room that was the best balcony grade, before it becomes Britannia Club - 16 grades up from the lowest grade. 

The room was lovely - I struggle to find any fault with it at all -except for the balcony itself.  Can you see the rust?  It hits you in the eye when you enter the room - it looks worse than it is, and to my mind just needs a quick scrape down, some masking tape on the deck, and some of the right paint.  Our cabin in 2015 was exactly the same. It makes the ship look neglected, even though it isnt.  I suspect they'd need to involve a few people to do nothing but look after this area, but I feel it would be worth it.
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018, 12:33 PM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #34 on: Jul 22, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Never did afternoon tea anywhere Rob, took Mrs Pete anything she fancied down to the cabin (found a tray & held on to it for the duration). I would then do my rounds around the deck cos it was much quieter when they were fighting for food & I would occasionally call in Kings Court & graze the sausage rolls on my way back out again to the deck, most enjoyable Mmmmmm.. Fully agree with most of your observations.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #35 on: Jul 23, 2018, 01:13 PM »
#firstworldproblems     

Theres nothing worse that being promised something and it not being delivered. While in the grand scheme of things to others it might not seem a major issue, but right there at the moment it IS an issue . and lm sure we have all been there.

The sad thing with Afternoon tea these days is just how much or how little is actually made on site . You can buy in such a lot of fancy things these days, frozen  ::) and Joe public is none the wiser , they still actually believe there are team of chefs slogging away out of sight toiling over these little fancies . We do a Prosecco
Afternoon, all the chefs have to do is butter the bread for sandwiches (fill them with ready made stuff) and hand dip the strawberries in chocolate and the rest is bought in.

Now the chocolate dipped strawberries, a niggle of mine, they are dipped and then placed on a tray to cool and set and you always have the base with the flat bit where the strawberries are resting and the chocolate has set giving the flat base,  Iv only  twice ever seen  chocolate dipped strawberries when they had no indication of how they had been covered , once was in a nice place in Laguna Beach and at $20 for 5, l was expecting gold dust as well, l joked with the server that we need a knife to cut the last one in two to share, and commented on the lack of a chocolate base. He did return with a single strawberry so that we might enjoy 3 each. And revealed how the chef managed it.   

I was able recently able to fly back with dear old BA in their First Class, which giving the blurb you expect to be pretty darn good, ok not as good as perhaps the foreigners, What niggled me seating in my seat there were crumbs at my feet, and the bubbly, nice as it was, was in a flute, a chilled flute would,have been so much nicer. When l tell a few select friends about it, you can tell they are thinking is this guy serious, moaning about crumbs and no chilled glasses. When your promised the best of the best, you dont want crumbs at your feet.
I could go on about the pre flight dining meal in their lounge, and needing to ask for a bread roll, and not having a pepper grinder or the fact the cuttlery must have been set during an earthquake  or the young man serving who had no idea about wines , or the fact the kitchen door was open and the staff were clearly having  bad day . BUT to the layman your seen as being overly fussy, as the person sitting there at that moment, Yes it is Firstworld problems, expecially when your paying out your hard earned money for it.
It was after all that a lovely experience, and as always a great crew can make your flight extra special. 
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2018, 05:25 PM by cunardqueen »
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #36 on: Jul 23, 2018, 02:52 PM »
And here's my next rant - (found while uploading some lovely photos of Stavanger I might add)

We treated ourselves to a room that was the best balcony grade, before it becomes Britannia Club - 16 grades up from the lowest grade. 

The room was lovely - I struggle to find any fault with it at all -except for the balcony itself.  Can you see the rust?  It hits you in the eye when you enter the room - it looks worse than it is, and to my mind just needs a quick scrape down, some masking tape on the deck, and some of the right paint.  Our cabin in 2015 was exactly the same. It makes the ship look neglected, even though it isnt.  I suspect they'd need to involve a few people to do nothing but look after this area, but I feel it would be worth it.

Hi Rob,

As we discussed last Saturday that has been a big bugbear of ours on all of the Cunard cruises we have done - QV was just the same in 2010 albeit the rust was in a slightly different location!

Some of the patches had been chipped back and primer applied but no top coat so the whole place started to look like it had a form of marine measles!!

As good old Jackie Stewart once said its all about "attention to detail" :)

Gav
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2018, 02:55 PM by Clydebuilt1971 »