Author Topic: June 2018 -- QE2 for families and children  (Read 1291 times)

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

June 2018 -- QE2 for families and children
« on: Jun 03, 2018, 11:02 AM »
This month's theme is "QE2 for families and children", chosen by Linda Bratcher, the  winner of the March 2018 competition.

Looking forward to seeing your interpretation of this theme :) .

The prize this month is a copy of the Cunard Logbook, donated by the author, Marc-Antoine Bombail.

Alternatively, June Ingram is offering a jigsaw of the prizewinning picture. The choice is yours -- which will it be?

The album is open -  so now is the time to look for your most interesting pictures on this theme. Wishing you happy memories as you search your photo collection to find up to three pictures to upload to the competition album.

This link will take you straight there : QE2 for families and children.

If you have not uploaded photos to the Forum Gallery before, have a look at these instructions, and if you have any problems, just contact us on admin@theqe2story.com. You could even email the photos to this address, and we can upload them for you.

The deadline for submitting photos is 30 June 2018. Voting will run from 1 July 2018 until 31 July 2018.

We look forward to seeing your photos in this month's competition. 

This is the tenth month of photos for the 2019 calendar. Maybe your photo will figure there!

Enjoy yourselves!  :)

Online Andy Holloway

Re: June 2018 -- QE2 for families and children
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2018, 05:42 PM »
Time to go back in time nearly 15 years to when I was 6, or to July 2005 and my bridge visit with the children's club! An interesting topic choice for sure!

Thomas,

Were you on for the Trafalgar 200 trip?

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Thomas,

Were you on for the Trafalgar 200 trip?

I don't think so, my Grandad did his only QE2 voyage in June 2005 which I seem to recall was billed as the Trafalgar 200 trip unless my memory is playing tricks on me! My parents and me watched him depart onboard QE2 - from Calshot - Oriana also departing that afternoon. We were onboard from Monday 18th July to Sunday 30th July 2005 instead.

Grandad's voyage:

S 25 Southampton, England
SU 26 St. Peter Port, Guernesy - C.I.
M 27 Le Havre, France
T 28 Solent - Lord Nelson Comm.
W 29 Southampton, England

According to Sam Warwick's excellent website and itinerary records:

http://www.qe2.org.uk/itinerary_2005.html

And a couple of my Dad's (James Hypher's) photos of that June 25th 2005 departure:

My Dad's photos of QE2's 25th June 2005 departure from Southampton by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

My Dad's photos of QE2's 25th June 2005 departure from Southampton by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

What is that small child doing in the photo?  ;) (I don't remember what I was doing)!

First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2018, 05:10 PM »
Great photos, Thomas !

June   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Jun 11, 2018, 01:50 AM »
Have a look through your photos to see if you have some to submit for this month's competition. We should have a magnificent collection by the end of the month !  :) :)

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2018, 10:57 AM »
As a solo traveller..Im stumped with this one...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2018, 12:16 PM »

You'd be surprised... when the title says "family", it does not have to be your own family... does it ?  ;D
And family comprises people of various age groups too!

I have certainly taken a broad interpretation of the title... and enjoyed what I found.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #7 on: Jun 11, 2018, 04:18 PM »

As Isabelle says, it can be friends too, because friends are family that we choose for ourselves !   :)

« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2018, 12:53 AM »
Children are wonderful people  ;) ...

... but adults are family too. As as for me, I have only adults in my family at this stage, and do not hold it against them.

While on QE2, I also observed plenty of other families... sometimes it was the grandparents (or people that age) who were having a brilliant time together.

Husbands and wives are family (surprise...?).

There must be plenty more pictures lurking in the archives, ready to be entered into this photo competition :) .

« Reply #9 on: Jun 22, 2018, 09:41 PM »
A fascinating discussion ensued from this topic. The discussion may be found here :

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php?topic=8571.0

Still looking for photos on the theme to upload to the album and participate in the competition :) .

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2018, 11:11 AM »
Children are wonderful people  ;) ...

... but adults are family too. As as for me, I have only adults in my family at this stage, and do not hold it against them.

While on QE2, I also observed plenty of other families... sometimes it was the grandparents (or people that age) who were having a brilliant time together.

Husbands and wives are family (surprise...?).

There must be plenty more pictures lurking in the archives, ready to be entered into this photo competition :) .

Today is your last chance to upload your photos for the June competition QE2 for families and children.  As Isabelle mentioned in the above post there are different interpretation for this them.  I noticed uploaded to the album, a couple of photos the show Pictures of areas of the ship or activities that were for families and their children. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Today is your last chance to upload your photos for the June competition QE2 for families and children.  As Isabelle mentioned in the above post there are different interpretation for this them.  I noticed uploaded to the album, a couple of photos the show Pictures of areas of the ship or activities that were for families and their children.

Thanks for the reminder Lynda.  Having a look at my photos now.  Its a tricky one - I have some great photos of kids playing on the QE2's aft decks, but I don't think I can post them (and nowadays I wouldn't even take them).
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2018, 04:51 PM »
Thanks for the reminder Lynda.  Having a look at my photos now.  Its a tricky one - I have some great photos of kids playing on the QE2's aft decks, but I don't think I can post them (and nowadays I wouldn't even take them).

Rob that you have photos of you with your family in 1987, they would be good pictures.  I think one of the pictures in the a restaurant. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com