Author Topic: Waverley Updates - 2018  (Read 7174 times)

Offline Clydebuilt1971

Re: Waverley Updates - 2018
« Reply #20 on: Jul 16, 2018, 12:14 PM »
On the subject of the Flying Cant mentioned in my previous post - this YouTube clip shows it better than I could describe.

It was taken on the final weekend of sailings the paddler undertook from her original berth at Anderston Quay - her home since she started operation under the WSN flag in 1975 - before moving to her current berth at Glasgow Science Centre in 2004.

The move was necessary as a new fixed bridge was due to be built across the Clyde which would have locked her in the upper river for ever!!

The actual manoeuvre starts at around 8mins however worth watching from the start as she passes through the two opening bridges on the Clyde - The Millenium Bridge - located between the Science Centre and the BBC buildings and then Bells Bridge - which was built for the Garden Festival in 1988 and has remained in operation ever since!!

Hopefully you will enjoy watching what is a very tricky manoeuvre in a narrow space - also remember Waverley loses steerage way below 4/5knts....... :)

I was on board that day but (thankfully) haven't spotted me in this video :)

ps Waverley - Flying Cant July 2004

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2018, 04:03 PM »
I had a delightful day on the Clyde estuary and Holy Loch yesterday, on board a 130bhp Fletcher speed boat. I enjoyed it so much I've spend today on eBay and Gumtree!  Probably just as well that i can't afford the time or money involved.

I can now testify that experiencing the sorts of speed that QE2 could cruise at, in a very small craft, is extremely exciting!

Part of the day involved intercepting Waverley as she arrived into Dunoon, it was lovely being alongside to watch this at close hand.

https://flic.kr/p/28JtcgA

https://flic.kr/p/28rZtwV

https://flic.kr/p/28JsyfS

https://flic.kr/p/274Y5vS

https://flic.kr/p/28Jmyqo

https://flic.kr/p/MG9uaQ
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Really awesome photos, Rob ! And thanks for sharing.  Can you tell us please, a bit more about the speedboat ?  Thanks ! June  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #23 on: Aug 12, 2018, 11:32 AM »
I note from Facebook that Waverley now has outside security who's purpose appears to be mainly to prevent passengers taking their own alcohol on board. Given earlier comments about the 'bring your own' groups on board this looks like a step in the right direction.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #24 on: Aug 12, 2018, 01:06 PM »
I note from Facebook that Waverley now has outside security who's purpose appears to be mainly to prevent passengers taking their own alcohol on board. Given earlier comments about the 'bring your own' groups on board this looks like a step in the right direction.

I'm going to miss travelling on Waverley this year (again), and part of the reason is that I refuse to travel on a Saturday, after previous experiences of stag dos and hen nights travelling with the specific intent to get very drunk on board.  The fact that they might not mange to come aboard with drink of their own, won't help when they start buying drink on board.  Its one aspect of the West of Scotland that I'm not particularly proud of.

Unfortunately not travelling on Saturday slashes my options, and I have lots of other stuff I have to fit in with my limited free time.

Photos below were taken while sober, with sober people, on a nice quiet boat...

Waverley and the seals by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

Waverley leaving Dunoon by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr

PS Waverley approaching Dunoon Pier by Rob Lightbody, on Flickr
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Bruce Nicholls

« Reply #25 on: Aug 12, 2018, 06:18 PM »
At least the cash is now going to Waverley's finances.

Great photos by the way Rob.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #26 on: Aug 13, 2018, 11:12 AM »
Beautiful pics, Rob!

Make me want to come back and spend a day on Waverley, enjoying the beautiful ship, the great company and the fabulous scenery.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #27 on: Aug 13, 2018, 08:38 PM »
Great photos, Rob !  Thanks for posting them !  :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #28 on: Aug 14, 2018, 10:09 PM »
Great shots of the paddler folks!!

I was on board on Thursday 9th August Greenock - Brodick (Isle of Arran) - Largs and had a great wee sail. I'm away on business right now but will post some shots when I get back.

Not too long to go before her Clyde Season is over for yet another year - lets hope its been a good one for her and that her sailings down south realise good returns also.

Every little helps!

Gav

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2018, 10:08 PM »
Hi Folks,

A couple of short videos taken whilst on board Waverley last Thursday
First two are of her Greenock built triple expansion diagonal steam engine -  last one taken from starboard sponson looking forward as she powers her way across the Clyde from Cumbrae to Brodick.

Gav

« Last Edit: Mar 04, 2021, 10:20 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #30 on: Aug 15, 2018, 11:43 PM »
Excellent videos Gav! Reminds me a bit of being on Shieldhall. Curious as to what the changing audio tone is in the background of your second video of the main engines? It isn't a warship type whistle/horn is it (as Shieldhall has along with her steam whistle)?
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Waverley

« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2018, 12:21 AM »
Gav
I think that the tone in the background is coming from the airpump  which is removing the condensed steam from the condenser

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #32 on: Aug 16, 2018, 07:15 PM »
Hi Folks - if it’s a rising and falling kind of whooping tone then it’s her Weir steam driven boiler feed pump.

Gav

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #33 on: Aug 31, 2018, 07:05 PM »
Poor old Waverley had a bit of a tough time last weekend, but a quick repair later, and the world's only seagoing paddlesteamer was able to storm down to Llandudno. Some great photos here.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/gallery/waverley-steams-to-llandudno-7680006

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #34 on: Sep 01, 2018, 08:44 PM »
Poor old Waverley had a bit of a tough time last weekend, but a quick repair later, and the world's only seagoing paddlesteamer was able to storm down to Llandudno. Some great photos here.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/gallery/waverley-steams-to-llandudno-7680006

Glad she's okay now and is down here to admire sometime - if she's in the Bournemouth area soon. My Dad told me yesterday that he went on Waverley from Bournemouth Pier (when a jetty used to project out from the end of the pier) to Swanage as a child (around 50 years ago now). He remembers her engine room in particular.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #35 on: Sep 10, 2018, 01:19 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Waverley has only be sailing in preservation since 1975 on the Clyde and 1978 (I think) down south - might it have been 40yrs ago?

If not then perhaps it was on her ex fleetmate Jeanie Deans - she was withdrawn from Clyde service in 1964 and was bought for Thames and South Coast service which she operated from 1965 to 1967. It wasn't a huge success really due to the fact that she was getting on little (built 1931) so her boiler and wheels were in need of attention. She was scrapped at Antwerp in 1968.

She sailed as Queen of The South during the forementioned period.

ps Jeanie Deans

Gav

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #36 on: Sep 10, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Hi Thomas,

Waverley has only be sailing in preservation since 1975 on the Clyde and 1978 (I think) down south - might it have been 40yrs ago?

If not then perhaps it was on her ex fleetmate Jeanie Deans - she was withdrawn from Clyde service in 1964 and was bought for Thames and South Coast service which she operated from 1965 to 1967. It wasn't a huge success really due to the fact that she was getting on little (built 1931) so her boiler and wheels were in need of attention. She was scrapped at Antwerp in 1968.

She sailed as Queen of The South during the forementioned period.

ps Jeanie Deans

Gav

Hi Gav,

I suspect it was PS Jeanie Deans then. Thank you for the information, we never stop learning! She was a lovely paddler. I'll mention her when I next speak to my Dad.

Thomas
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2018, 02:03 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Offline tramscape

« Reply #37 on: Sep 10, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Glad she's okay now and is down here to admire sometime - if she's in the Bournemouth area soon. My Dad told me yesterday that he went on Waverley from Bournemouth Pier (when a jetty used to project out from the end of the pier) to Swanage as a child (around 50 years ago now). He remembers her engine room in particular.

I don't believe that jeanie Deans / Queen of the South went anywhere near Bournemouth. However, Bournemouth was a busy paddle steamer pier up until the early 60s with Cosens & Co running a substantial fleet

Their last paddler was PS Embassy whose last season was 1966

http://paddlesteamers.info/EmbassyDuchessofNorfolk.htm

Waverley is currently at Southampton but winds and high seas are playing havoc with her programme. Saturday was badly curtailed, Sunday cancelled. Monday was an off day. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is also cancelled
Regrettably, Bournemouth pier is no longer available for Waverley to call at - a major traffic source now off the radar, no doubt for good   

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #38 on: Sep 11, 2018, 12:56 AM »
I don't believe that jeanie Deans / Queen of the South went anywhere near Bournemouth. However, Bournemouth was a busy paddle steamer pier up until the early 60s with Cosens & Co running a substantial fleet

Waverley is currently at Southampton but winds and high seas are playing havoc with her programme. Saturday was badly curtailed, Sunday cancelled. Monday was an off day. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is also cancelled
Regrettably, Bournemouth pier is no longer available for Waverley to call at - a major traffic source now off the radar, no doubt for good

Thank you for the extra information tramscape. The puzzle deepens! I can try asking my Dad if he remembers any particular details of the paddle steamer he travelled on, but he was a young child at the time so this could've been 55 years or so ago let alone 50 years ago (he is 60 now).

Sorry to hear of Waverley's continuing problems on arrival down here on the South Coast. It is a shame Bournemouth pier is no longer available for her, but this has been the case for many years now as far as I understand from my Dad. I live a 20 minute walk from the pier so would be down to see and photograph her in a flash if she was down near the beach!

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #39 on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:45 AM »

Thanks Tramscape - wasn't sure where Jeanie sailed to (when she actually sailed) when she went south.

Did Bournemouth fall into disrepair or was it just closed to traffic?

Gav

Waverley in England

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 1
Views: 439
Last post Sep 06, 2017, 09:07 AM
by Michael Gallagher
Who owns the Waverley - and key people involved

Started by Rob LightbodyBoard PS Waverley

Replies: 9
Views: 512
Last post Jul 06, 2019, 03:17 PM
by tramscape
Little and large (Waverley with QM2 and QE2)

Started by WaverleyBoard Miscellaneous QE2

Replies: 9
Views: 2816
Last post Oct 24, 2009, 10:13 AM
by luzparis
PS Waverley - Season 2020 is go!!

Started by Clydebuilt1971Board PS Waverley

Replies: 30
Views: 1514
Last post Sep 09, 2020, 10:52 PM
by tramscape
Links to other Waverley Websites