Author Topic: World Cruise Charity Auction  (Read 1217 times)

Online Andy Holloway

World Cruise Charity Auction
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:26 PM »
Did anybody sail on the final leg of a World Cruise and attend the World Cruise Auction?

In the early part of the 2000s 'we' had the idea of collecting the autographs of those 'celebrities' who sailed on QE2 both on Trannies & cruises, plus all the QE2 senior officers. This idea was hatched on a Cape Town run and, ahead of our arrival in Cape Town, I spoke with the port security manager about the possibility of purchasing a ' visitors' book to use for this purpose. He offered to have one made by an old German book binder he knew of and said it would be ready on our arrival a week later. When he showed me the book initially I could smell that beautiful smell of new leather before he even removed it from it's wrapping. He then informed me that he and his wife would like to present the book to the ship as their contribution to the World Cruise Charity.
The book was held by The Cruise Host as he would have access to the said celebrities to sign it.
We ran the book for a couple of years and built up a good number of notable, quality autographs. However while both I and Cruise Host were on leave at the end of a WC the replacement Cruise Director removed it from SH's desk and placed it in the Auction, where it achieved a lesser amount than we had hope or beloved it worth.
When I discovered what had happened, on my return from leave, I was able to establish the names of the purchaser, contact them and arranged to reimburse them for it, to have it returned, i then made a further contribution to the WC Charity fund and took possession of the book.
This book is now in my memorabilia box and is one of my special, unique QE2 items.

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

Re: World Cruise Charity Auction
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:43 PM »
That is a wonderful memory! I hope you can let us see a few pages of this wonderful book with all the memories attached to it :) .

Online Andy Holloway

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Isabelle, here are a few photos of the book itself and the first 4 pages containing the signatures of Captains, Staff Captains, Chief Engineers and Hotel Managers.

For reasons of copy-write i don't think it appropriate to post photos of the 'celebrity' pages, but i will list a few names;
Terry Waite, Jim Bowen, Penny Juner' Victor Spinetti, the cast of Coronation St, etc, etc,

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Wonderful! That is a real treasure, and so glad you got it back :) .

Offline Jeff Mahler

« Reply #4 on: Aug 02, 2020, 11:07 PM »
I may very well have been there that day. What great provenance.
Decorating the Queens room and Grand Lounge for 18 years. TOYL!

Around the World in 46 Days

Started by Michael GallagherBoard The 1990s

Replies: 7
Views: 3539
Last post May 28, 2014, 06:46 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Whickers World - A Fast Boat to China

Started by TwynkleBoard The 1980s

Replies: 43
Views: 21903
Last post Apr 25, 2021, 09:44 PM
by Rob Lightbody