Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Queen Victoria - Greenock 16.05.18  (Read 656 times)

Online Clydebuilt1971

Queen Victoria - Greenock 16.05.18
« on: May 17, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Greenock welcomed Queen Victoria back yesterday - the first of two Cunard calls this year - Queen Elizabeth calls on Saturday 21st July.

I didn't get any photos but I've attached some drone images by locals Gavin Walker and Jim Phanco showing her inbound passing Gourock, alongside at Greenock and in the Main Channel heading downriver last night.

We watched her leave Greenock from our kitchen window - she definitely has the best horn tones by a mile!!

The weather was fabulous - the sailaway down the Clyde passing Arran then rounding the Mull of Kintyre last night must have been just glorious!

She is currently passing Barra and South Uist in the Outer Hebrides - due to berth in Kirkwall, Orkney tomorrow.

I like QV but her stern profile has been ruined by the addition of the cabins unfortunately which is a pity but I guess cash is king!!

Hope you enjoy the photos anyway!!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Queen Victoria - Greenock 16.05.18
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:49 AM »
Thanks Gavin,

Stunning photos, especially that first one, agree that her already limited "lines" have been further ruined by the need for $$$!!!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:54 AM »
Thanks Gavin,

Stunning photos, especially that first one, agree that her already limited "lines" have been further ruined by the need for $$$!!!

Thanks Rob,

As a cruise ship she was (IMHO) better looking than her other Vista derivatives (including her sister QE) - she had a slightly raked stern profile which reduced the boxy appearance but that's gone now sadly.

Here she is leaving Greenock on a dull evening - 290514 "as built"

Gav

Offline QE2forever

• Advisor to TQS
  • Princess Grill Diner
  • Getting there was all the fun...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:36 AM »
Ugly ship but beautiful Scotland!

Thanks for posting.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:59 AM »
Amazing drone photos, pity she's even more ugly now! Is QM2 planned to call in Greenock at all in the coming years, or is she limited in that sense in some way? I know she's busier than ever, doing more transatlantics in a year than she's ever done in previous years.
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online Pete Hamill

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05 AM »
Saw her passing Skelmorlie on the way out last night. Unfortunately didn't have my camera.

QM2 has been into Greenock in the past. Not sure if anything is planned, but certainly no issues regarding berthing at Greenock.

Online Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Amazing drone photos, pity she's even more ugly now! Is QM2 planned to call in Greenock at all in the coming years, or is she limited in that sense in some way? I know she's busier than ever, doing more transatlantics in a year than she's ever done in previous years.

Hi Thomas,

There are no issues with QM2 berthing at Greenock Ocean Terminal. The last time she called was 2015. I am not aware of any plans for her to revisit us - certainly not this year but am hopeful we will see her again soon!

I would imagine the Esplanade would've been reasonably busy as the locals tend to turn out to see the big ships off in the evening - especially if its a ship with a red and black funnel!!

Cheers

Gav