Author Topic: May 2018 : Rough weather (closing 31 May 2018)  (Read 4041 times)

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

May 2018 : Rough weather (closing 31 May 2018)
« on: May 03, 2018, 02:12 PM »
This month's theme is "Rough weather", chosen by Skilly56, the joint winner of the February 2018 competition.

QE2 has to be part of your picture, somehow...

The prize this month is a copy of the book "The QE2 : A Picture History" by William H Miller, Jr., donated by me, Isabelle Prondzynski.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/QE2-Picture-History-William-published/dp/B00XXCJT0E/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1525352986&sr=1-3&keywords=The+QE2+%3A+A+Picture+History

Alternatively, June Ingram is offering a jigsaw of the prizewinning picture. The choice is yours -- which will it be?

The album is open -  so now is the time to look for your most interesting pictures on this theme. Wishing you happy memories as you search your photo collection to find up to three pictures to upload to the competition album.

This link will take you straight there : Rough weather.

If you have not uploaded photos to the Forum Gallery before, have a look at these instructions, and if you have any problems, just contact us on admin@theqe2story.com. You could even email the photos to this address, and we can upload them for you.

The deadline for submitting photos is 31 May 2018. Voting will run from 1 June 2018 until 30 June 2018.

We look forward to seeing your photos in this month's competition. 

This is the ninth month of photos for the 2019 calendar. Maybe your photo will figure there!

Enjoy yourselves!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 03, 2018, 10:17 AM by Lynda Bradford »

Offline Trevor Harris

Re: May 2018 : Rough weather (closing 31 May 2018)
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 07:05 PM »
This ought to be a good contest. The book is amazing, and is one of the reasons why I am here.
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 08:38 PM »
What with this being an official photo it cant be entered...
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36 PM »
This ought to be a good contest. The book is amazing, and is one of the reasons why I am here.

Bill Miller is an amazing author and speaker overall! Will need to look through me and my parent's photos as my Dad took some photos in stormy weather over the years, just not over the bow as the bit beneath the bridge on Sun Deck was often closed in those situations!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:59 PM by Thomas Hypher »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Just added my Dad's excellent QE2 in rough weather photos, with his permission!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Bill Miller is an amazing author and speaker overall! Will need to look through me and my parent's photos as my Dad took some photos in stormy weather over the years, just not over the bow as the bit beneath the bridge on Sun Deck was often closed in those situations!

Yes, Bill Miller is an excellent speaker and authority on liners.  I got to meet him personally when I was Program Chairperson for The Southern New England Chapter of The Steamship Historical Society of America.  He really likes QE2 !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 10:37 PM »
Yes, Bill Miller is an excellent speaker and authority on liners.  I got to meet him personally when I was Program Chairperson for The Southern New England Chapter of The Steamship Historical Society of America.  He really likes QE2 !   :)

I think he was onboard on one of our voyages on QE2 and he spoke on QM2 and we met him after, including seeing him in Hamburg I think. A good person!

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 11:41 AM »
I can see that the attraction of winning Bill Miller's book is great.

And so, I am looking forward to lots of entries and lots of votes  ;) !

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 11:56 AM »
QE2 certainly could take on the power of the seas, whatever the weather, but I do not have pictures.

Not sure if I had interpreted the theme correctly but I added a photo of QE2 in River Mersey being held by tugs, so it is more the river conditions than the weather.  But it was the only photo I could find that vaguely met the criteria.  I remember rough seas near the Grand Banks Canada, but the conditions were so bad that the decks were shut off. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 12:07 PM »
QE2 certainly could take on the power of the seas, whatever the weather, but I do not have pictures.

Not sure if I had interpreted the theme correctly but I added a photo of QE2 in River Mersey being held by tugs, so it is more the river conditions than the weather.  But it was the only photo I could find that vaguely met the criteria.  I remember rough seas near the Grand Banks Canada, but the conditions were so bad that the decks were shut off.

I wouldn't have excpected a Mediterranean cruise in August to encounter a storm, but boy did we - and I couldn't have been happier - a very lucky experience on my only proper cruise on her. 
A force 10 as we headed down towards the Bay of Biscay, and she kept on time at around 28 knots.  Our 3-deck cabin creaked and groaned gloriously, outside the portholes the white horses swept past just below at speed, the light from the public rooms above illuminating them.  Mum was knelling up in one porthole, and I in the other, at 2am just enjoying the moment.  The washing machine sound of the waves against the hull added to it.  I've since travelled in a proper QM2 balcony cabin, and yes in a practical sense it was "better", but oh boy how much more I enjoyed QE2's cabin on 3-deck, and how very special it felt.  The next morning it was "one hand for the ship" time throughout, and Captain Perkins came on the tannoy to say there wasn't another ship in the world that would have been capable of arriving in time in Lisbon that morning.

BUT I don't really have any photos!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 12:12 PM »
I wouldn't have excpected a Mediterranean cruise in August to encounter a storm, but boy did we - and I couldn't have been happier - a very lucky experience on my only proper cruise on her. 
A force 10 as we headed down towards the Bay of Biscay, and she kept on time at around 28 knots.  Our 3-deck cabin creaked and groaned gloriously, outside the portholes the white horses swept past just below at speed, the light from the public rooms above illuminating them.  Mum was knelling up in one porthole, and I in the other, at 2am just enjoying the moment.  The washing machine sound of the waves against the hull added to it.  I've since travelled in a proper QM2 balcony cabin, and yes in a practical sense it was "better", but oh boy how much more I enjoyed QE2's cabin on 3-deck, and how very special it felt.  The next morning it was "one hand for the ship" time throughout, and Captain Perkins came on the tannoy to say there wasn't another ship in the world that would have been capable of arriving in time in Lisbon that morning.

BUT I don't really have any photos!

A very similar experience to me and my parent's October 2004 voyage! The famous Bay of Biscay regardless of the time of year...something to do with the continental shelf and the power of the North Atlantic from what I know.

My more detailed description and topic on what was our first cruise on QE2 (having had our first voyage, a Westbound Transatlantic in August 2003) is here:

https://www.theqe2story.com/forum/index.php/topic,7925.msg89914.html#msg89914
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:18 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 08:19 PM »
  Not sure if I had interpreted the theme correctly   
Thats the beauty, there are no right or wrong photos. Its how we interpret it !
One of my worst trips was crossing from Greece to Egypt.... and i still cant believe, Rough seas on the Med !   
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 05:51 PM »
We are fast approaching the end of the month.  If you have not already done so, have a look through your photos and see if there are any that you could enter in the "Rough Weather" competition.  They would certainly show our ship in her element !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !