Author Topic: Circle K Convenience Store coming soon to the QE2  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Brandon Sterkel

Circle K Convenience Store coming soon to the QE2
« on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:14 PM »
A Circle K convenience store will apparently be opening on board the QE2.

https://instagram.com/p/Bh8A2BOHxcX

It also seems that, according to the ship's deck signs, that it will be located on Quarter Deck.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Circle K Convenience Store coming soon to the QE2
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:53 PM »
A Circle K convenience store will apparently be opening on board the QE2.
It also seems that, according to the ship's deck signs, that it will be located on Quarter Deck.

Are there any photos of the new deck signs indicating the Quarter Deck location? This convenience store thing on QE2 gives me very mixed feelings...what area is it replacing for example? How is it going to fit in with QE2 in the location it ends up in onboard? I know and remember QE2 had various shops in later life that sold "convenience" related items among many other items but did so while fitting into the ship's overall image.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 10:34 AM by Rob Lightbody »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:57 PM »
Are there any photos of the new deck signs indicating the Quarter Deck location? This convenience store thing on QE2 gives me very mixed feelings...what area is it replacing for example? How is it going to fit in with QE2 in the location it ends up in onboard? I know and remember QE2 had various shops in later life that sold "convenience" related items among many other items but did so while fitting into the ship's overall image.

Hi Thomas,
The sign indicating the Quarter Deck location is here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211637850801473&set=oa.180498672522284&type=3&theater

States that it will be located around Stairways D and E.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Hi Thomas,
The sign indicating the Quarter Deck location is here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211637850801473&set=oa.180498672522284&type=3&theater

States that it will be located around Stairways D and E.

Thank you  :)
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:09 PM »
From looking at the deck plans and using memory it would appear this convenience store will be where the library and neighbouring bookshop are/were which again leaves me with mixed feelings as I spent many hours in those rooms (particularly the library) over my time onboard.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Christ follower, liner lover, and Okie.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Haha. I laughed a little when I saw this. As long as they have Icee machines like other Circle Ks, I will accept it. My mom might even want to visit Dubai now. A new potential customer.

That being said it does feel a little odd.
The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

SS United States forever.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:05 AM »
Haha. I laughed a little when I saw this. As long as they have Icee machines like other Circle Ks, I will accept it. My mom might even want to visit Dubai now. A new potential customer.

Feels odd to me because it's not "QE2" including the new Dubai "QE2"...

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:09 AM »

I also found it quite odd as that is the last thing that I would think of with the QE2, but I guess to me, it's almost like a piece of home (Circle K is headquartered here in Phoenix)
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 01:12 AM by Brandon Sterkel »

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:21 AM »
Icee machines like other Circle Ks
7-11's downstate have Icee while circle k has their own spinoff that I find a bit gross. I'll stick to my soda fountain or bottled cokes..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Basically, if I may so so... I have no idea what this is all about...

Just by the sound of it, it does not feel like QE2. And if it had been located where the shop was in most recent times, that would have (kind of) fitted in. Do the Dubai people want to make the ship attractive to Americans by providing them with something familiar to them?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2018, 08:15 AM »
Just to get this straight in my mind... is Circle K the American equivalent of the Co-op shops we have here in the UK?  Convenient and almost everywhere with very long opening hours, but rather more pricey and with a more limited range of goods than most other stores?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:42 AM »
I do not know anything about Circle K convenience store and if it replaces the Library and ship space that is not the ideal place, as far as I am concerned.  If the library and shop space was to be utilised then a quality memorabilia and book shop may be more in keeping with QE2's history.   

What will they be selling? Water? If they sell soft drinks or wine then that would take away revenue from the bar.  Willing to be open minded and think about QE2 as a hotel and not a transatlantic liner.  Realise that I need to think about QE2 Hotel in successful economic terms. 

Watch this (Circle K) space!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Just to get this straight in my mind... is Circle K the American equivalent of the Co-op shops we have here in the UK?  Convenient and almost everywhere with very long opening hours, but rather more pricey and with a more limited range of goods than most other stores?
Yes.

Basically, if I may so so... I have no idea what this is all about...

Circle K is a convenience store, in which they sell soda pop and food. Most of it is unhealthy and some of it is disgusting. Go into one in the US you could find pizzas cooking (got sick from one..) and hot dogs cooking and sticky soda pop fountains. You could also find refrigerators with  sodas and ice creams and other things that need to be chilled or frozen. 
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 10:36 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Circle K is a large chain of convenience stores/gas stations here in the USA, usually find these very dilapidated as they are a low cost franchise!!!! Wish they could have found something more fitting for her.......

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 10:46 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Circle K is a large chain of convenience stores/gas stations here in the USA, usually find these very dilapidated as they are a low cost franchise!!!! Wish they could have found something more fitting for her.......

Circle K is a convenience store, in which they sell soda pop and food. Most of it is unhealthy and some of it is disgusting. Go into one in the US you could find pizzas cooking (got sick from one..) and hot dogs cooking and sticky soda pop fountains. You could also find refrigerators with  sodas and ice creams and other things that need to be chilled or frozen. 

My disdain for this kind of convenience store/shop onboard has gone up...very much not QE2 including now in Dubai meaning, to me at least, it seems to be at odds with the image Dubai want for the ship. Doesn't make much sense  :(  Hoping the UAE branch of the company is a bit better, but I don't hold out much hope.

Offline Rod

« Reply #15 on: Apr 27, 2018, 02:36 PM »
Well a lot of people poo-poo'd the hamburger stand when it was proposed as well.

Offline Roy Warrender

« Reply #16 on: Apr 27, 2018, 03:31 PM »
The problem with must franchised store is they are only as good as the store management  hopefully qe2  will manage it themselves

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Imagine your an overnight guest in a hotel and you need a bottle of Coke after a hard day out and about and a packet of Lays crisps. Do we call up room service at their inflated charges . wait till room service then decides to appear or just nip down to the local "shop" and buy from there.

I stayed recently at The Vdara in Vegas. a can of coke was only $10 via room service delivered on tray with ice in the glass and a slice of lemon. Ok l could have bought a bottle from the local in house shop for much less OK $10 seems a lot BUT consider its a service and some people might just what that. Likewise some people was an inhouse shop for purchases rather than use rom service. Heck l was charged late one night $8 for a glass of milk on Queen Mary room service. How l wished she had her own litle shoppe

Personally l see nothing wrong with the in house shop. You are after all giving people options. Remember shes not the QE2 that we know.
QE2 had her own little shop Smugglers cove on one deck for those items you missed ashore.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2018, 06:24 PM »

Did a little bit of research and it turns out that Circle K in the UAE is somewhat different than the US locations as most (if not all of their stores) in Dubai are located in malls. It also looks like they are not as big on fountain drinks or slushees as in the States. Based on several photos of their Dubai stores, they look much cleaner and nicer than the American stores.

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #19 on: Apr 27, 2018, 07:16 PM »
As long as the installation is done tastefully and keeps with the current aesthetic I don’t have many qualms with it; a store near a hotel can be immensely helpful as I’m sure many of us can agree.

If anything the only thing that upsets me is the spelling of ‘Queen Elizabeth’ on the post.  :D
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #20 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:14 PM »
QE2 had her own little shop Smugglers cove on one deck for those items you missed ashore.

I remember that shop and it was well thought out (bought items there with my parents), but I worry that the new convenience store/shop will not fit in with her image - even her new image in Dubai ("still making history", being sympathetic to the ship, being updated but similar to how she was in some ways at least). Having an international company opening a "branch" onboard on one of the main public decks fills me with an element of dread and makes the cynic in me think there's a chance it could be the first of many...QE2 doesn't need a Starbucks too (like Queen Mary).

Having said the above - if it's done right, respectfully, and is successful then what grounds is there for me and anyone else to complain? However, it would be nice if the basic structure of the library and bookshop areas remained and the store/shop worked within the confines of the areas! Just don't let it be the first of many such operations onboard particularly given the number of cafes etc onshore and very nearby (in sight of the ship).

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #21 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:16 PM »
Circle K has opened in the Traveller's Cove space on One Deck. Doesn't look too bad in my opinion.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156328449922840&set=pcb.181636729075145&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Looks like the signs have an error or another convenience store may be opening on Quarter Deck

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #22 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:18 PM »
Circle K has opened in the Traveller's Cove space on One Deck. Doesn't look too bad in my opinion.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156328449922840&set=pcb.181636729075145&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Looks like the signs have an error or another convenience store may be opening on Quarter Deck

Might have to eat my words then! Looks much like it did down to the old sign and how I remember it!

I also spy a British plug socket! Not sure what type the UAE uses?
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 09:27 PM by Thomas Hypher »

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #23 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:34 PM »
Looks better than I had envisaged from the initial post. Cunardqueen put the shop into context and helps us understand you need the option to purchase soft drinks and other items.

Looking good.
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #24 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:40 PM »
Wonder if they will have one of these delightful machines as found in most convenience stores in the USA?????

'CunarDogs" anyone??????

Offline Oceanic

« Reply #25 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:49 PM »

Brilliant integration with the exsisting interior spaces.
"Some Profound Text Goes Here"

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #26 on: Apr 28, 2018, 12:14 AM »
Wonder if they will have one of these delightful machines as found in most convenience stores in the USA? ??? ?

'CunarDogs" anyone? ??? ??

Nope. Will never eat from those.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #27 on: Apr 28, 2018, 11:08 PM »
  Having said the above - if it's done right, respectfully, and is successful then what grounds is there for me and anyone else to complain?   
We do need to remember the fact that QE2 is open to the public and the day trippers and you need to cater for them some how. So naturally a small shop is ideal, some might balk at the idea .

QE2 doesn't need a Starbucks too (like Queen Mary).

Maybe she does need such a thing, then again is there a big coffee culture out there. A look on Queen Mary will tell you such a thing is needed, Where else can you grab a coffee oboard , and any visitor will tell you how busy that particular place is. I frequented that place once to get some  tea, and now avoid such places like the plague. Then again lm not a coffee drinker, and tea from such things should only be bought in an emergency. l simply loath such places, but the free wifi is a bonus 

For those if us who like soft drinks, the burning question is will it be a Coke or Pepsi place.

If you look what MGM properties did , they did away with inroom tea/coffee machines in most of their properties in Las vegas and installed Starbucks in every front lobby. 

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #28 on: Apr 29, 2018, 10:31 AM »
I think that where they've put the shop (and where Cunard also put it) is ideal.  It allows for hotel guests to "nip upstairs" for whatever it is they need, without needing to stray into the main public areas of the hotel.  Having a shop like this on board is a no-brainer.

I spoke to someone relevant on board a few weeks ago about the old Ocean Books shop - I suggested that even in her current role, a shop selling mementoes and souvenirs in that location would be appropriate, but they didn't seem to have any plans yet.  Running that shop in that capacity (and the tours) would have been my dream job, if QE2 wasn't where she is now.  Oh well!
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2018, 12:13 AM »
Photo attached from the Alex Tarry collection !
Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2018, 01:41 AM »
Wow. Options to choose from..

I would most likely grab some cashews.

I'd grab a evian water and maybe a vitacoco?

For a treat i'd get a cadbury or a ferrero rocher..

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Great to see photos of the inside of the Circle K. Thanks Alex!

I see several of my favorite snacks and drinks!

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 10:24 AM »
I have been trying to visualise where the Circle K shop is on the ship. Is it in the space that was the Harrods shop until 1996 then the Cunard shop. Looks like it could be! 

Link to Harrods onboard QE2

When I was onboard on 1997,  I bought a rather nice QE2 tshirt with the Cunard emblem.

A shop with essential items and snacks is important on a hotel ship and it looks like this shop has a good selection. 
www.qe2event.com

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 10:59 AM »
I have been trying to visualise where the Circle K shop is on the ship.

The first of the four recent photos gives us a clue. The shop sign says "Travellers' Cove", which is, I think, the unaltered sign for the QE2 shop at one of the stairway landings.

My geographical memory is getting a bit blurred at this stage. As far as I can remember, it was a forward stairway (maybe C), and my guess is that it was on 1 Deck.

The shop used to sell similar things as those it sells now, but a narrower range. This is where you could buy an Aspirin or Panadol, a pair of tights, and where we occasionally bought a bar of chocolate if we had not satisfied our chocolate cravings with the bedtime mini. It was the kind of shop you don't really expect on QE2, but it was surprising how sometimes you feel a need for something utterly ordinary, and it was there to supply just that.

Offline Michael Gallagher

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2018, 11:09 AM »
Yes it is the former location of the Harrods Shop.

The space has had an interesting history. Originally the One Deck Shop, the the Atlantic Bar, then Harrods, then 'the Cunard Collection' and finally Travellers Cove.

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 01:39 PM »
Michael, during the final years of QE2, the Harrods shop was on the Grand Lounge balcony, was it not? The Cunard collection was close by, but not exactly on the balcony itself.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2018, 06:39 PM »
The shop "poked out" slightly into the one deck corridor, which made it easy to find!  A clever design feature I'd say.  Attached is a photo of Alex's to illustrate this.

I remember the shop clearly from 1987 when it was amazing - the only Harrods that wasn't in the original shop in London. My Mum still has quite a few things bought then.  And I remember it in 2008, nipping down to buy Maltesers, to have with a single malt in the Chartroom late at night.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2018, 06:53 PM »
  I remember the shop clearly from 1987 when it was amazing - the only Harrods that wasn't in the original shop in London. 
Back then they also had a lovely range of Harrods/QE2 branded merchandise , alas in later years the onboard Harrods only had gifts which could also be bought from the London Store
The Bears below were actually door stops , you can imagine how heavy they were, and l bought all four back from one cruise.

Offline Alex Tarry

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2018, 07:02 PM »
There is an interesting aspect to this, which I am not sure we've discussed - access to the ship! 

I think I am right in saying, during her service life, only passengers, crew or invitees could go on board?  Now, anyone can arrive, walk through or visit the museum, take the lift, walk through the midships lobby and not only tour the ship, but also buy themselves a Dunkin Donut from Circle K while they do it!

Of course she's in Dubai...but in a sense, more open than before?

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2018, 07:24 PM »
  Of course she's in Dubai...but in a sense, more open than before?

This can only be  a good thing, but she is a hotel after all, and with the exception of The Burj most are open to all, come in , spend some money and leave..or check the rates and think about staying the night .
Look at some of the Las vegas Hotels, most of the room areas are out of bounds, and some are very strict with that,  but the rest of the areas are open to all. when you think some of these mega properties need  a million $$ a day to run.  The doors never close, the shops are open very late , the food outlets do a roaring trade and the Casinos are something else. Just try to find a clock somewhere..   

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2018, 08:37 PM »
The Bears below were actually door stops

Bears?  I always thought they were mice?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2018, 03:04 AM »
The shop "poked out" slightly into the one deck corridor, which made it easy to find!  A clever design feature I'd say.  Attached is a photo of Alex's to illustrate this.

I remember the shop clearly from 1987 when it was amazing - the only Harrods that wasn't in the original shop in London. My Mum still has quite a few things bought then.  And I remember it in 2008, nipping down to buy Maltesers, to have with a single malt in the Chartroom late at night.

Yes very recognisable jutting out onto the One Deck passageways as I remember too, but not in an obtrusive way!