Author Topic: Circle K Convenience Store coming soon to the QE2  (Read 4757 times)

Offline Brandon Sterkel

Circle K Convenience Store coming soon to the QE2
« on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:14 PM »
A Circle K convenience store will apparently be opening on board the QE2.

https://instagram.com/p/Bh8A2BOHxcX

It also seems that, according to the ship's deck signs, that it will be located on Quarter Deck.
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
Re: Circle K Convenience Store coming soon to the QE2
« Reply #1 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:53 PM »
A Circle K convenience store will apparently be opening on board the QE2.
It also seems that, according to the ship's deck signs, that it will be located on Quarter Deck.

Are there any photos of the new deck signs indicating the Quarter Deck location? This convenience store thing on QE2 gives me very mixed feelings...what area is it replacing for example? How is it going to fit in with QE2 in the location it ends up in onboard? I know and remember QE2 had various shops in later life that sold "convenience" related items among many other items but did so while fitting into the ship's overall image.
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 10:34 AM by Rob Lightbody »
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:57 PM »
Are there any photos of the new deck signs indicating the Quarter Deck location? This convenience store thing on QE2 gives me very mixed feelings...what area is it replacing for example? How is it going to fit in with QE2 in the location it ends up in onboard? I know and remember QE2 had various shops in later life that sold "convenience" related items among many other items but did so while fitting into the ship's overall image.

Hi Thomas,
The sign indicating the Quarter Deck location is here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211637850801473&set=oa.180498672522284&type=3&theater

States that it will be located around Stairways D and E.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2018, 10:58 PM »
Hi Thomas,
The sign indicating the Quarter Deck location is here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10211637850801473&set=oa.180498672522284&type=3&theater

States that it will be located around Stairways D and E.

Thank you  :)
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #4 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:09 PM »
From looking at the deck plans and using memory it would appear this convenience store will be where the library and neighbouring bookshop are/were which again leaves me with mixed feelings as I spent many hours in those rooms (particularly the library) over my time onboard.

Offline Hank Hargrove

• Princess Grill Diner
  • Christ follower, liner lover, and Okie.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Haha. I laughed a little when I saw this. As long as they have Icee machines like other Circle Ks, I will accept it. My mom might even want to visit Dubai now. A new potential customer.

That being said it does feel a little odd.
The cross: The supreme symbol of love.

SS United States forever.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #6 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:05 AM »
Haha. I laughed a little when I saw this. As long as they have Icee machines like other Circle Ks, I will accept it. My mom might even want to visit Dubai now. A new potential customer.

Feels odd to me because it's not "QE2" including the new Dubai "QE2"...

Offline Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #7 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:09 AM »

I also found it quite odd as that is the last thing that I would think of with the QE2, but I guess to me, it's almost like a piece of home (Circle K is headquartered here in Phoenix)
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2018, 01:12 AM by Brandon Sterkel »

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #8 on: Apr 27, 2018, 01:21 AM »
Icee machines like other Circle Ks
7-11's downstate have Icee while circle k has their own spinoff that I find a bit gross. I'll stick to my soda fountain or bottled cokes..
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Offline Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #9 on: Apr 27, 2018, 06:37 AM »
Basically, if I may so so... I have no idea what this is all about...

Just by the sound of it, it does not feel like QE2. And if it had been located where the shop was in most recent times, that would have (kind of) fitted in. Do the Dubai people want to make the ship attractive to Americans by providing them with something familiar to them?

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2018, 08:15 AM »
Just to get this straight in my mind... is Circle K the American equivalent of the Co-op shops we have here in the UK?  Convenient and almost everywhere with very long opening hours, but rather more pricey and with a more limited range of goods than most other stores?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #11 on: Apr 27, 2018, 09:42 AM »
I do not know anything about Circle K convenience store and if it replaces the Library and ship space that is not the ideal place, as far as I am concerned.  If the library and shop space was to be utilised then a quality memorabilia and book shop may be more in keeping with QE2's history.   

What will they be selling? Water? If they sell soft drinks or wine then that would take away revenue from the bar.  Willing to be open minded and think about QE2 as a hotel and not a transatlantic liner.  Realise that I need to think about QE2 Hotel in successful economic terms. 

Watch this (Circle K) space!
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Trevor Harris

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Just to get this straight in my mind... is Circle K the American equivalent of the Co-op shops we have here in the UK?  Convenient and almost everywhere with very long opening hours, but rather more pricey and with a more limited range of goods than most other stores?
Yes.

Basically, if I may so so... I have no idea what this is all about...

Circle K is a convenience store, in which they sell soda pop and food. Most of it is unhealthy and some of it is disgusting. Go into one in the US you could find pizzas cooking (got sick from one..) and hot dogs cooking and sticky soda pop fountains. You could also find refrigerators with  sodas and ice creams and other things that need to be chilled or frozen. 
« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 10:36 AM by Rob Lightbody »
Enjoyer of classic cinema, literature, and music.

Online Chris Thompson

« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2018, 12:26 PM »
Circle K is a large chain of convenience stores/gas stations here in the USA, usually find these very dilapidated as they are a low cost franchise!!!! Wish they could have found something more fitting for her.......

« Last Edit: Apr 28, 2018, 10:46 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Circle K is a large chain of convenience stores/gas stations here in the USA, usually find these very dilapidated as they are a low cost franchise!!!! Wish they could have found something more fitting for her.......

Circle K is a convenience store, in which they sell soda pop and food. Most of it is unhealthy and some of it is disgusting. Go into one in the US you could find pizzas cooking (got sick from one..) and hot dogs cooking and sticky soda pop fountains. You could also find refrigerators with  sodas and ice creams and other things that need to be chilled or frozen. 

My disdain for this kind of convenience store/shop onboard has gone up...very much not QE2 including now in Dubai meaning, to me at least, it seems to be at odds with the image Dubai want for the ship. Doesn't make much sense  :(  Hoping the UAE branch of the company is a bit better, but I don't hold out much hope.