Author Topic: Saga Rose (ex Sagafjord, ex Gripsholm)  (Read 49238 times)

Offline Matt

Re: Saga Rose (Ex Sagafjord)
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2010, 04:32 PM »
Bye Bye Saga Rose!
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

RMS Queen Elizabeth 2

« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Whats going to happen with Saga Ruby (former Caronia)? She should be saved. She has links with QE2.

A real shame about Saga Rose.

Offline andy liney

« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Whats going to happen with Saga Ruby (former Caronia)? She should be saved. She has links with QE2.

They both do, in a way, as both were Cunarders at one time.

Offline highlander0108

« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2010, 11:47 PM »

Saga Ruby is not in any danger and is still in service with Saga.  As has been reported, her more recent refits have addressed the SOLAS regulations and there is no talk about her retirement right now anyway.  I do hope she is still around when I reach that age to sail on her.
"There will never be another one like her" QE2's last Master Ian McNaught
My Blog:  http://qe2-prideoftheclyde.blogspot.com/

Online Twynkle

« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2010, 08:15 AM »
...  I do hope she is still around when I reach that age to sail on her.
This time last year, just one night on board, deliberately without sleep - it was a great experience. She's a beautiful ship.
Ken, hurry up!!  ;)

About the place where Saga Rose will be 'recycled'
http://www.cjshipbr.com/e_main.htm
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Jem

Re: Saga Rose (ex Sagafjord)
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2010, 07:41 PM »
Such a shame that another classic ship ends her days at the scrap yard. :(

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #166 on: Jun 04, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Jonathan writes today on Liners' List :

To give Saga cruises their due, they did try for six months to find a trading buyer for the Saga Rose, or someone to use it as a floating hotel, but none came forward.

The scrapyard they are selling the ship to in China is considered one of the most environmentally friendly ones in existence. It is the one that companies such as Maersk sell their ships to for demolition and it operates under very strict environmental codes.

According to Saga, the price they got from this scrapyard was well below what the breakers in Alang were offering but they preferred to have the ship dismantled in a greener manner.

The Saga Rose is indeed one of the most beautiful ships ever built and I too am sad to see her go. But at least she is going in a dignified manner.

Jonathan

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LinersList/message/122492

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #167 on: Jun 04, 2010, 08:39 AM »
According to Saga, the price they got from this scrapyard was well below what the breakers in Alang were offering but they preferred to have the ship dismantled in a greener manner.

Doesnt this say a lot about Saga and how they operate Now if only a certain other company had the foresight to think through what they were doing rather than rush through a very hush hush sale with no thought for anybody other than the $$$$$ that were waved at them.
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
« Reply #168 on: Jun 04, 2010, 10:19 AM »
Very true.  Perhaps if Saga were to now set up a "Saga Classic Voyages" division with older style liners painted in traditional colours with full on board service and without their 50+ age restriction they could corner a large chunk of the market...

I must say I am very impressed by their efforts over the 6 months, and that they went for the environment friendly option.

Perhaps they might be able to arrange to make some of the fittings and fixtures available for sale by auction as souvenirs before it is too late?  Stuff like portholes, short sections of railings, that sort of thing?
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #169 on: Jun 06, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Perhaps they might be able to arrange to make some of the fittings and fixtures available for sale by auction as souvenirs before it is too late?  Stuff like portholes, short sections of railings, that sort of thing?

I was thinking the same myself, theres got to be so much stuff onboard that it sems a shame for it to be scrapped
This was something l noticed on the Saga Ruby

And no lm not of the age to be able to travel with Saga, but they do have  a unique visitor policy. The passenger onboard simply writes to the Captain to ask if its possible to have  a guest on board.

Online Twynkle

« Reply #170 on: Jun 09, 2010, 08:50 AM »
For anyone who is a friend of Saga Rose,
here are a few images - including one of her engines.

http://www.el-image.co.uk/cruises/saga/oct_09/below_deck/pages/Engine_Panorama.htm
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for nearly 12 years.  Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Tyne Turbine

« Reply #171 on: Jun 13, 2010, 08:31 PM »
In view of our impending meeting on the Waverley it is perhaps appropriate that my final view of the Saga Rose was from the decks of the paddle steamer. The Rose was leaving the Clyde on what I believe was her last cruise from the Clyde, in the distance either the Argyle or Bute is making her ferry crossing from Wemyss Bay.

Robert.

Offline Mauretania1907

« Reply #172 on: Jun 13, 2010, 11:35 PM »
Farewell, Sagafjord, also known as Saga Rose. Another ship I had the pleasure of photographing and especially went to do so on her last visit to Auckland. I wonder if Mr Knego of Maritime Matters (not sure of his site's name) will have the chance to purchase articles from her. I also wonder what happens to the port badges given to such ships on the maiden call to a port. I'd like the Ports of Auckland one.
Farewell :'(

Online Twynkle

« Reply #173 on: Jun 14, 2010, 08:39 AM »
Mauritania1907
Here's the link to Peter Knego's site
http://www.midshipcentury.com/
It is closely linked to Maritime matters site too
http://maritimematters.com/

Really hope that you are able to get the plaque / badge.
Might it also be an idea to contact the yard where she is in China?
http://www.cjshipbr.com/e_main.htm

Online Twynkle

« Reply #174 on: Jul 15, 2010, 03:39 PM »
A little more information regarding the sale of Saga Rose (ex Sagafjord)

http://www.cruisecommunity.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3366&catid=910&Itemid=69

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #175 on: Jul 15, 2010, 09:06 PM »
A little more information regarding the sale of Saga Rose (ex Sagafjord)

http://www.cruisecommunity.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3366&catid=910&Itemid=69

You'd better tell us a bit more, Rosie, please, as this site reveals nothing to those who are not registered as members...

Online Twynkle

« Reply #176 on: Jul 15, 2010, 10:46 PM »
You'd better tell us a bit more, Rosie, please, as this site reveals nothing to those who are not registered as members...

Hello Isabelle

My apologies - I hadn't realised that the report would be inaccessible without registration.
The site has strict copyright rules
From what I understand -
Firstly via google
'Saga Rose, which sailed her final cruise for Saga Shipping last year, has
been sold, confirms the UK operator who says the price remains confidential'

Then - reports confirm that currently she is at anchor up the River Yangste, having been taken there by the scrapping arm of a very large German company - trading globally in materials (steel etc) and technology.
There's the largest recycling Chinese ship-breaking company close by.
If any further information would be of interest, send me a pm.

Offline Matt

« Reply #177 on: Aug 12, 2010, 04:01 PM »
any news/pics of Saga Rose's scrapping anyone??
Freo, Heave Ho! We are the Freo Dockers!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #178 on: Nov 10, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Anything?  Poor old Sagafjord
Passionate about QE2's service life for 37 years and creator of this website.  Worked in IT for 27 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #179 on: Oct 13, 2011, 03:58 PM »

Saga Ruby (ex-Caronia and ex-Vistafjord)

Started by Stowaway2kBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 88
Views: 25981
Last post Oct 25, 2017, 06:42 PM
by Twynkle
Saga Ruby Re-fit

Started by tdicksonBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 7
Views: 3383
Last post Feb 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
by pete cain
New ship(s) for Saga

Started by pete cainBoard Sea Shanties

Replies: 6
Views: 1301
Last post Oct 25, 2015, 09:55 PM
by Greg Rudd
Saga Ruby web sites

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 0
Views: 7065
Last post Dec 23, 2011, 06:33 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Pete Cain's final cruise on Saga Ruby (August / September 2013)

Started by Isabelle ProndzynskiBoard Saga Ruby

Replies: 111
Views: 32562
Last post Aug 09, 2017, 11:31 PM
by Andy Holloway