Author Topic: Member Reviews of visits on board QE2 Dubai  (Read 43850 times)

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
Re: Member Reviews of visits on board QE2 Dubai
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2018, 07:42 PM »
And here's the lovely, lovely Asprey model!  (More info on the model)

I'm so delighted its back on board!

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2018, 07:48 PM »
… and a quick tour of the Yacht Club

Passionate about QE2's service life for 40 years and creator of this website.  I have worked in IT for 28 years and created my personal QE2 website in 1994.

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2018, 08:32 PM »
Has the silver model been cleaned up, its positively shining
I do like the new Lido, very smart crisp and fresh and the way they are able to recycle the furniture to different rooms. But isnt QE2 lacking in other guests...
A glowing insight into the new new QE2  . 
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2018, 09:06 PM »
Guys, we’ve just enjoyed a fabulous last day on board, it’s been amazing coming back!

Earlier we had afternoon tea in the Yacht Club, with local friends we invited onboard, passengers weren’t usually allowed to do that!  Then we had a simply stunning tasting menu dinner in the Queens Grill, as good as any I’ve experienced at sea.  Our chef was formally of the QE2, including the Queens Grill...

I’ll write more when we are home, but tonight, as we lie here in our beautiful Sun Deck cabin, having had the day we’ve had I cannot imagine a better outcome for QE2, in our opinion she is in great hands...

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2018, 09:28 PM »
Sorry...Rosie, just seen your questions...

In the Queens Room I believe all those structures have gone, it’s an open, flexible space, which is currently gearing up for a fashion festival...preparations are going on all around...

With the stairwell presentation cases, they are were all still there, but covered with images of the ship and it’s history...

Thank you for the Boardroom info, it’s not open to view, but we heard is still very much there and will be part of a set of business meeting rooms...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 07:13 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rod

« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30 PM »
Great pictures, thank you, Hardly recognize a thing!

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Thank you to Alex and Naomi for checking up on QE2 for us.  I've found the flood of information, photos and videos to be incredible, and reminiscent of my own QE2 Dubai adventure all those years ago now.

And thank you so much to her "crew" for looking after them both -they've all gone the extra mile to make them very welcome, as well as, obviously, taking great care with QE2.

All I'd say is that this is a discussion forum, to discuss and debate QE2.  I personally think they've done an incredible job, and as i said recently to newspapers, nowhere else would have had the resources to do what they've done.  However we're also still free to point out things they could improve - we want her to succeed too -the lighting has been an obvious one.

I believe there's still more photos and videos to follow.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2018, 11:00 PM »
A last video for tonight from Alex, a spin around the lovely Pursers Office.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Love the quick tours thank-you Alex and Rob. 

I would also like to say a big thank-you to QE2's Dubai Team for giving Alex access to areas that we would not otherwise have seen. All reports so far have been that the Hotel team are very welcoming to all QE2's guests and that is important. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Big thanks to Alex and also to the QE2 Hotel "crew" - loving these photos.

Oh and thanks Alex for permitting me to put some of these on my Facebook Timeline also!

Gav

Offline skilly56

« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2018, 02:32 PM »
Will be in Dubai in 4.5 weeks time. Have got one free morning - guess where I am going!

Skilly

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2 started a dream to go to sea - now a reality!
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2018, 02:49 PM »
My understanding is the former library and bookshop is now a Mejlis, which is a traditional Arab sitting, or meeting room.  If anyone understands this better, please say...we thought it rather special.

The shore-side terminal is now home to the original library books...an interesting showcase of what passengers were reading in 2008!

Thank you for confirming where the library books are now  :) Spent many hours reading a number of them when onboard over the years!
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2 in her new life, in Dubai, in January 2020 and August 2022.

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Hi Guys, isn’t travel amazing, back home in London now after a final look around and breakfast in the Lido this morning...

The QE2 team were wonderful to us and we enjoyed getting to know them
throughout our stay, they could not have been more special!  I can see they are taking the ship under their wing, caring for her and opening a new chapter of crew life on board.  A lot of people we spoke to were moving yesterday, mainly from One Deck to Five Deck, presumably to free up larger cabins for guests.

For Rosie, luckily I found a single shot I took of the stairway display cabinets...I’ll attach it here...

Thomas, basically the library has moved to the Cruise Terminal...it’s interesting to see what we are reading in 2008!!  I remember many new books being added, very close to her retirement...

I have more photos and videos to share with you, including of a very special peek we had of the Wueen Mary and Wueen Elizabeth suites...they were amazing...but I’ll do that later as tired now...

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2018, 06:47 PM »
Alex's video of going aboard from the terminal, up in the lift, and into the midships lobby.

Online Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2018, 06:56 PM »
…. and a quick tour of room 2097

I'm interested to ask you Alex - did the room "feel" the same?  It looks like its lost all its original furniture, and the walk-in cupboard opened up.  Is the bed still the same way around?

'Cunard crew member lost at sea'.

Started by TwynkleBoard RMS Queen Mary 2

Replies: 5
Views: 2695
Last post Sep 02, 2015, 10:37 PM
by Leddy
Who was youngest ever crew member on QE2.?

Started by John D Hobley FinstRBoard QE2 Officers & Crew & Workers Introductions

Replies: 25
Views: 2670
Last post Nov 26, 2022, 06:48 PM
by Isabelle Prondzynski
Chris Buikus (QE2 Crew member) RIP

Started by peter wardBoard Officers, Crew & Worker memories

Replies: 7
Views: 1926
Last post Dec 05, 2022, 05:35 PM
by Lynda Bradford

Started by CJMayer1980Board Passengers & Enthusiasts Introductions

Replies: 13