Adverts only show for non-members

Author Topic: Member Reviews of visits on board QE2 Dubai  (Read 29877 times)

Online Peter Mugridge

• Queens Grill Diner
  • At Mach 2 three days after being on QE2...
Re: Member Reviews of visits on board QE2 Dubai
« Reply #260 on: Apr 16, 2019, 11:11 PM »
Views from the "forbidden" boat deck.  Only its not forbidden, you can step out onto it... you just cant walk around on it...

Someone did, judging from all those footprints!
"It is a capital mistake to allow any mechanical object to realise that you are in a hurry!"

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Helping to Keep The Legend Alive
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #261 on: Apr 16, 2019, 11:11 PM »

Must have been a crew member...
Passionate about QE2's service life for 35 years and creator of this website.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #262 on: Apr 17, 2019, 10:24 AM »
Rob I remember your video and how much we enjoyed your report from Dubai and what stuck in my mind at the time was your comment from the clip of you speaking from Boat Deck admiring the view and saying the you almost thought she could succeed here (Dubai). 

When I visited QE2 in March, I enjoyed being able to step out onto Boat Deck from the Grill's Lounge and admire the view, especially in the evening. 

I cannot understand why your friend is saying it was forbidden to step out onto the deck, unless there was work ongoing which prevented people going on deck on a temporary basis.  At present you cannot promenade around the deck but I am sure that as and when the time is right, this will be an option. 

QE2 is still a work in progress but still a very enjoyable experience to visit. 

I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #263 on: Apr 17, 2019, 12:22 PM »
The staff were very firm when asked why it was completely closed, said it's closed because it's unfinished and unsafe. The only doors out were marked as crew only.

As I understand it, the only remaining bit of deck that is open to enjoy a drink on, at the yacht club, isn't always available to hotel guests, depending what events are ongoing.

It looks perfectly safe to me in the photos, but as a trip advisor review says, the decking surface is now like a cross channel ferry.  So my theory is that H&S is being used as an excuse, and they just know it's not nice enough as it is.

Offline Twynkle

« Reply #264 on: Apr 17, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Rob - has anyone mentioned liability, or insurance?
QE2 had been waiting alongside in Dubai for what seemed like ages...Please don't leave her looking more like a Hotel-with-a-Hull than the greatest Liner afloat - Please restore her Lifeboats and Tenders to where they truly belong - she looks naked without them - please spare her this ignominy.

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #265 on: Apr 17, 2019, 06:42 PM »
Rob - has anyone mentioned liability, or insurance?

Nope, just vague non specific references to health and safety.

Offline Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #266 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:16 PM »

Makes it look like some sort of tar or something else laid down when hot. Maybe this is why they seem to be funny about people walking around Boat Deck? The other reasons (H&S) are a load of codswallop. Maybe they'll replace this section sometime soon?

Better question: why on earth didn't they lay Boat Deck with the particular wood (not teak because of the Dubai climate) used on One Deck aft? I know they have had problems with her aluminium superstructure expanding in the heat of the day and contracting at night in regards to laying the wood on Upper Deck aft and Quarter Deck aft (One Deck aft being part of the steel hull and not seeming to be so problematic) but the temperature extremes are not as severe during the Winter which is when they did the wood laying anyway, not to mention that they can (apparently) do the work during the night anyway (fairly quickly).

At least Boat Deck would look a little less alien if they did the above and added shades roughly where the davits were (surely much needed in the Summer?).

Also, the bridge wings have had this red material laid down on them too but over the pegs that used to hold the teak in place (they didn't file them down or remove the pegs beforehand!). The old sports area on Boat Deck aft is the same red material now too. I presume the bit beneath the bridge is next now...the charm and pleasure of teak is long, long gone without anything similar in place apart from at a handful of spots. Where's the consistency and "restoration" or "preservation" in this regard (not to mention for other aspects)?!
First travelled on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and travelled on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008 - we had the better view!

Online cunardqueen

« Reply #267 on: Apr 21, 2019, 05:55 PM »

Given the heat, maybe its someones melted flip flops...;)
From the moment you first glimpsed the Queen,
 you just knew you were in for a very special time ahead.!

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #268 on: May 12, 2019, 11:18 AM »
Alex has been back on board in the past few days, and noted a few small changes but nothing major.  He said that not much work appeared to be going on (compared to his previous visits)

There is new glass over the 1 oil painting that he found (presumably UV-limiting because its next to a window now)... the painting looks "dull" to me now.

I'd asked him to take a photo of the Queens Room's ceilings brass switch panel, if its still there, and I'm delighted that it is.  A wee piece of the original QE2.  I delighted in this in 2007 and 2008, and have an amusing tale to tell about playing with it in 2011 and nearly causing the entire ship to stall...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:20 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #269 on: May 12, 2019, 11:21 AM »
For isabelle - there are still charts in the chart room :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:29 AM by Rob Lightbody »

Offline Rob Lightbody

• Administrator
  • Queens Grill Diner
    • Rob Lightbody dot com
« Reply #270 on: May 12, 2019, 11:30 AM »
A few more

Offline June Ingram

• Global Moderator
  • Queens Grill Diner
  • Beautiful, elegant QE2 - forever Queen of the Seas
« Reply #271 on: May 13, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Great photos to see !   :)
QE2 - the ship for all of time, a ship of timeless beauty !

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #272 on: May 13, 2019, 08:49 PM »
For isabelle - there are still charts in the chart room :)

That is nice to see! Thank you :) .

And maybe the Britannia figurehead has found a suitable place for herself...

Online Alex Tarry

« Reply #273 on: May 13, 2019, 09:05 PM »
Overall the ship is looking in good shape and was as busy as I’ve experienced.  The Iftar was astonishing, our first, but an incredible buffet, costumed, theatrical story telling and as we’ve seen, a fully themed Quarter Deck!

We had a large cabin on Signal Deck, it still feels special to climb those hidden stairs from the QG Lounge/Bar...

Also on Friday, the brunch, a big deal in Dubai and akin to when she was at sea, was very busy in the Lido.  We choose to eat in the Golden Lion...to avoid about 5,000 additional calories!

We have stayed quite a few times now, in different areas of the ship and happy to answer any questions or advice to anyone visiting.

I can also confirm the ‘QE2 smell’ is still present in certain places...

As for Emaar, no idea, but as a company, they don’t mess around, a huge developer, so I think the vision for Mina Rashid will move forward faster now...although the smoke from QE2’s funnel
at the end of their promotional film may be a bit much to hope for!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:07 PM by Alex Tarry »

Offline Ed Derbyshire

« Reply #274 on: Aug 30, 2019, 09:02 PM »
I thought folks might enjoy a video I made following our visit to QE2 in May 2018 - it can be found on my YouTube channel (Westerly at sea) as

Online Isabelle Prondzynski

« Reply #275 on: Feb 12, 2020, 09:48 PM »
Liners' List is currently discussing QE2 -- the topic started with the article we recently discussed on QE2 in Dubai, but has moved on to QE2 at various stages of her life.

I believe you do not need to be a member of Liners' List to be able to read this, which is here :

https://groups.io/g/LinersList/topics

This is the specific topic :

https://groups.io/g/LinersList/topic/re_evaluation_of_qe2_in_dubai/71148518?

It starts with the start of the topic, and if you read downwards, the most recent posts will eventually appear. There are some marvellous posts going right back to the early years of QE2.