Author Topic: QE2 on QM2  (Read 1494 times)

Offline pete cain

Re: QE2 on QM2
« Reply #20 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:28 PM »
The very last taken for & dedicated to Gav & his fellow restorers, there is a smaller better detailed print in one of the lifts, I could never get the right lift to appear without people in it, so here is one from one of the stairwells.

So a round up, Queen Mary2 , Yes, I like her (a lot) Mrs Pete loves her.
                                                 She is nothing like QE2, a comparison would not equate .
                                                  She throws off the swell just like QE2 did, we traversed the Tasman sea twice for 2 days each way & both times (as the Tasman sea can do) we had force 8 & big swells, she just ploughed on as if  nothing was amiss at about 21Knots.
                                                   I found her to be more lighter inside than the cruise sisters, less faux dark wood, more pastel shades, the Carinthia lounge being a masterpiece following the refit.
                                                   Would I/we go on her again, without a doubt , finances & good health allowing, she has 2 new fans.
                                                     She in no way replaces QE2 for me & never will, I hope she has fans in 40 years time who will mourn her passing, she's quite a ship.   

Offline pete cain

« Reply #21 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:32 PM »
Thomas,   Sydney -  NewZealand round trip both islands - Sydney  stunning doesn't begin to cover it, so so lucky

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
  • QE2, a home from home - beautiful from all angles!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:36 PM »
Pete,
The tender ride must have been amazing. I have to agree that yes, we could replicate something with those photos.  ;) I would give to be away at sea.. just to get away from it all. I would even (yes! I would!) turn my WiFi off so that I didn’t get any news unless told about. It seems like such a pleasant experience.

Tender rides are a highlight, as long as one isn't seasick or has a weak stomach as the sea can look calm from the ship but...you get the idea! I use the internet all the time but enjoy voyages without a useful internet connection particularly as I've got older despite being more and more reliant on the internet otherwise. It is a welcome break from normality in many ways!

QM2 Northern Europe, August 2011 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

QM2 Northern Europe, August 2011 by Thomas Hypher, on Flickr

Helsingør/Elsinore (with the castle famous in Shakespeare's "Hamlet"), Denmark, Thursday 11th August 2011. I filmed the video and took the photo on my old iPod Touch 4th generation.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #23 on: Mar 27, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Thomas,   Sydney -  NewZealand round trip both islands - Sydney  stunning doesn't begin to cover it, so so lucky

Very lucky! Would love to do Australia on QM2!

The very last taken for & dedicated to Gav & his fellow restorers, there is a smaller better detailed print in one of the lifts, I could never get the right lift to appear without people in it, so here is one from one of the stairwells.

She throws off the swell just like QE2 did, we traversed the Tasman sea twice for 2 days each way & both times (as the Tasman sea can do) we had force 8 & big swells, she just ploughed on as if  nothing was amiss at about 21Knots.
                                                   I found her to be more lighter inside than the cruise sisters, less faux dark wood, more pastel shades, the Carinthia lounge being a masterpiece following the refit.
                                                   Would I/we go on her again, without a doubt , finances & good health allowing, she has 2 new fans.
                                                     She in no way replaces QE2 for me & never will, I hope she has fans in 40 years time who will mourn her passing, she's quite a ship.   

Likewise, QM2 is lovely but will never replace QE2 (in Cunard service) for me either. They are two very different entities despite sharing the ocean liner aspect and QM2 being a direct successor.
First sailed on QE2 in August 2003 aged 6 years old. Last stepped foot and sailed on QE2 in July 2008. Last saw the seagoing QE2 in person from the decks of QM2, on QE2's last Transatlantic crossing (Eastbound tandem) in October 2008. Visited QE2, in her new life, in Dubai back in January 2020.

Offline Clydebuilt1971

« Reply #24 on: Mar 28, 2018, 01:46 PM »

Thanks Pete - very relevant picture there as TS Queen Mary celebrates her 85th Anniversary this year.

Sorry to hear the paintings are not in the best of condition - they were all in very good condition when I was on board QM2 in 2006.

Stephen Payne took styling cues not only from QE2 but Normandie (see attachment) and France too. We had an enjoyable conversation about that very subject during the Titan Crane charter last September.

Gav

Online Brandon Sterkel

« Reply #25 on: Mar 28, 2018, 04:46 PM »
It is always nice to know that QE2's presence lives on aboard the QM2.

Thank you Pete for sharing these photos!  :)
Queen Elizabeth 2: A 50 Year Legend!

Online Michael Gallagher

« Reply #26 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05:04 PM »
On QM2 The painting of QE2 and Britannia (commissioned for the 150th anniversary in 1990) is a bad copy of the one on QE2 which in itself was a copy. The original belonged to the late John Maxtone Graham (author).

The one on QE2 was removed during her final call in New York on 16 October 2008 and returned to the Ocean Liner Museum in the City. A generic piece of art from the onboard art auctioneer hung in its place for QE2's last few weeks.

Offline pete cain

« Reply #27 on: Mar 28, 2018, 05:06 PM »
Thanks for that Michael,  learning things all the time. QE2 still has a lot to tell I'm sure

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #28 on: Mar 28, 2018, 11:51 PM »
One thing definately not QE2 is the magnificent front breakwater (superstructure), big heavy metal beams behind this facade, double thickness where the beams meet the superstructure,  yes Mr Payne you made her strong!!.

Looks like we were on the same voyage Pete. Geeze, but we were lucky with the weather ... not a drop of rain for the whole voyage. (The last time I was in Dunedin it rained constantly for 5  days ... and Wellington wasn't much better).

Like you, I liked the for'ard superstructure and bridge wing. (Photos taken in Dusky Sound).
« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2018, 10:42 PM by Boris »

Offline pete cain

« Reply #29 on: Mar 29, 2018, 04:55 PM »
Wonder how many times we passed each other (like ships in the night) , the first time ever I forgot me QE2 story badge, Doh.
  Weather was stunning , One thing I forgot to mention was her voice, those horns one original Queen Mary,
one modern replica were something else don't you think Boris?.

Online Thomas Hypher

• Queens Grill Diner
« Reply #30 on: Mar 31, 2018, 05:54 AM »
On QM2 The painting of QE2 and Britannia (commissioned for the 150th anniversary in 1990) is a bad copy of the one on QE2 which in itself was a copy. The original belonged to the late John Maxtone Graham (author).

The one on QE2 was removed during her final call in New York on 16 October 2008 and returned to the Ocean Liner Museum in the City. A generic piece of art from the onboard art auctioneer hung in its place for QE2's last few weeks.

Thank you for the extra information Michael, glad it's just a bad copy that's seen better days (and not QE2's copy either). Surprised it wasn't repaired or replaced in the June 2016 refit considering the amount of other repairing/retouching/replacing that went on.

Online Lynda Bradford

« Reply #31 on: Mar 31, 2018, 11:53 AM »
Brilliant topic Pete - thanks for taking time to take these fantastic photos on QM2.  I have not been on QM2 for a few years, so seeing your photos brings back happy memories.  I remember the mural showing John Brown shipyard and also have a photo of this, so  thanks for posting. 
I was proud to be involved with planning QE2's 50 year conference in September 2017 in Clydebank
www.qe2event.com

Offline Boris

• QE2 Crew member
  • Britannia Grill Diner
  • F&B in the early 70's
« Reply #32 on: Mar 31, 2018, 10:39 PM »
those horns one original Queen Mary, one modern replica were something else don't you think Boris?.
I didn't know that Pete. Yes sonorous.